Air Jacks

Thread: Air Jacks

Default Air Jacks

Hi All

After getting my little 4x4 (Jeep Renegdade Trailhawk) stuck in the sand in Botswana last year I decided I needed some additional recovery equipment.

I was initially thinking High Lift jack, but since I have rounded plastic bumpers etc. it seems the best option might be an Air Jack... the High Lift with Wheel Mate costs about the same as the Air Jack at Frontrunner.

So the question is; which Air Jack, and how much?
    Tekla - Discontinued but might have stock of 1.5 ton, will get back to me
    Frontrunner - no stock on saturday
    4x4 Mega World - cheaper, but not as good?

any other products/advice?

PS - also bought a bottle jack from Builders.
    His BMW M240i
    Hers Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
    ex Audi A4 2.0T
    ex Audi S3

Default Re: Air Jacks

The Air jacks are quite big and bulky... why not look at Sand tracks? Max trax or the equivalent?
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Already have got those... not the Max Trax, can't remember the brand, but they fold up into a bag.
    Anyway they didn't help when we got stuck in the soft sand the more we dug under the wheel to place the track the deeper the car sunk eventually ending up on it's belly. The tracks also got put in one side of the wheel and spat out the other with all 4 wheels spinning... we needed to lift the vehicle. The scissor jack was also useless in that situation.
    His BMW M240i
    ex Audi A4 2.0T
    ex Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by StarkII View Post
    Already have got those... not the Max Trax, can't remember the brand, but they fold up into a bag.
    Anyway they didn't help when we got stuck in the soft sand the more we dug under the wheel to place the track the deeper the car sunk eventually ending up on it's belly. The tracks also got put in one side of the wheel and spat out the other with all 4 wheels spinning... we needed to lift the vehicle. The scissor jack was also useless in that situation.
    I hear you, but those tracks that fold in the back that sand slips through, won't help in soft sand.. you need something that won't be forced down.

Example here: https://youtu.be/sOgL-mMHCdc?t=1745
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Okay, after much googling and some phone calls, it looks like I'll be heading to 4x4 Megaworld for:
    1. Desert Air Jack --> https://www.4x4megaworldonline.com/s...sert-air-jack/
    2. T-Max 160 LPM --> https://www.4x4megaworldonline.com/s...ir-compressor/
    3. Indeflate --> https://www.4x4megaworldonline.com/s...ors/indeflate/

Regarding the Air Jack choice - no-one else has stock. 1st choice is probably the Frontrunner option, they are getting stock on Monday, but that's too late for me.

Regarding the Compressor - It was a toss-up between the T-Max and the Ironman Pro 160... these products seem very similar but the T-Max is around 70% cheaper @R2040

Regarding the Indeflate - why not, seems like a good idea

PS - also got some hessian bags, which should work well with the fold-up tracks that I already have, hopefully prevent them from sinking.
    Last edited by StarkII; 2019/11/27 at 01:14 PM.
    His BMW M240i
    ex Audi A4 2.0T
    ex Audi S3

I'm thinking you want to
    * do as much as possible with as little as possible
    * buy quality and buy once
    * avoid stuff you dont need

You need decent
    * recovery points
    * pressure gauge
    * compressor
    * valve tool
    * tyre repair kit
    * tow and maybe snatch straps
    * shackles

Thereafter I'd get the hi lift, base, wheel buddy, Jack mate, axle stand and some sand bags.

Indeflate is a luxury for now

Park that air bag right where it is.

firstly, thanks for responding 👍🏻 much appreciated.

You need decent
    * recovery points
    - already have rear points, use a screw in tow hitch in front, happy with that for now
    * pressure gauge - got one
    * compressor - have a cigarette lighter type, think Iíve decided to get the T-max, seems better than most on the affordable side
    * valve tool - must check
    * tyre repair kit - already got
    * tow and maybe snatch straps - already got
    * shackles - came with the tow / snatch rope kit

Thereafter I'd get the hi lift, base, wheel buddy, Jack mate, axle stand and some sand bags.

the cost of all that is more than the Air Jack, and given that it has a very limited use (while being used with the wheel mate) on a vehicle with plastic bumpers etc. Iíd think the Air Jack is a way more versatile option?
    His BMW M240i
    ex Audi A4 2.0T
    ex Audi S3

The places you travel to will dictate the gear but I definitely wouldn't say the air jack is more versatile. Hi lifts (real) are very expensive so look for a 2nd hand unit in good condition. Can also get a service kit from odw.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminH View Post
    The places you travel to will dictate the gear but I definitely wouldn't say the air jack is more versatile. Hi lifts (real) are very expensive so look for a 2nd hand unit in good condition. Can also get a service kit from odw.
    thanks... might have used the wrong word, or sentence to create context.

In general I would agree Hi Lift jacks are more versatile in that you can do more stuff with it than simply "lifting" the car.

In my case however, dictated by the places I travel, I'm primarily concerned about soft sand and mud, where the Air Jack is better suited to "lifting" the car
    Also, given that I have plastic bumpers etc. I would have to use the wheel mate, which then limits the points that can be lifted to the wheels, one at a time, whereas with the Air jack I could lift front, back, left or right side...
    Note: I also have a bottle jack which can be used when the ground is a little harder.

I really do appreciate your responses, but still think I'm making the right decision for now.

One day when I get a "real" 4x4 with a proper lift kit, steel bumpers, rock sliders etc. I'll be sure to get a High Lift jack
    His BMW M240i
    ex Audi A4 2.0T
    ex Audi S3

yip, I think this is gonna work for me... now letís hope I donít need it 😜

Name:  F233B4E7-15D6-4771-96D2-D2377897EDD7.jpeg
Views: 196
Size:  118.5 KB

the compressor and indeflate also work very well. The compressor is a bit bigger than I expected, but I think weíll put it to some good use.

Thanks for helping with the decision making 👍🏻

PS - for anyone else looking to use an Air Jack on a Renegade, there are few screws sticking out the chassis under the vehicle... not sure why. Take care to avoid them or knock them flat before you go out on your adventure else Iím pretty sure you will puncture the bag.
    His BMW M240i
    ex Audi A4 2.0T
    ex Audi S3

I have 2 rubber mats just bigger than the surface of the air jack bag. One goes on the ground and one on top of the bag to protect from thorns and sharp bits on the bottom of the vehicle. It adds a bit of weight and bulk to the kit but is worth the piece of mind.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

I realize it's a bit late now, but I much prefer a trolley jack mounted on a dished skid plate. Much smaller than the air jack, and can be used on any surface.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?