Botswana Trip Reports

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Botswana Trip Reports

Good Evening all,

Just back from our second trip to Botswana. Our first trip was in 2017 at the tail end of Cyclone Dineo. During that trip, we stayed in lodgings along the way and had such a lovely time, that we had planned to go back in 2018. That second trip only happened now. I took this opportunity to write a trip report for this trip as well as update the trip report for our first trip. Thank you to everyone for the advice and suggestions we received from forum members. It all made for 2 memorable trips.

Regards,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FatHuey; 2019/11/28 at 06:29 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Re: Botswana Trip Reports

Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Good Evening all,

Just back from our second trip to Botswana. Our first trip was in 2017 at the tail end of Cyclone Dineo. During that trip, we stayed in lodgings along the way and had such a lovely time, that we had planned to go back in 2018. That second trip only happened now. I took this opportunity to write a trip report for this trip as well as update the trip report for our first trip. Thank you to everyone for the advice and suggestions we received from forum members. It all made for 2 memorable trips.

Regards,

fantastic reports!!! Thank you! We have the same rig - 2012 D4 HSE and Companion. We’re heading up that way in July - cannot wait. Thanks for putting the time into that.

Thank you for these two reports Huey. Much appreciated. I am sure they will be a great help to others wanting to visit the same areas.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks for the detailed report and pics.
    You certainly had good game sightings! Leopards and lions galore!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

It is reports like this that makes us want to just pack up and go there again.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Thank you for a great read. We are heading that way in June and you gave good info.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Geländewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

Thanks for that! Great read.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Thanks for the great story. You were lucky finding so many animals.

Fantastic reports! Thank you for sharing your adventure.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Good Evening all,

Regards,
    do you prefer 2017 or 19

There was such a contrast between the two trips that I actually don't prefer one over the other. Where there was an impassable road, now we found a sandy dusty road. Where the bush was green and dense, now we found trees devoid of leaves and completely brown. I think we were fortunate that we got to see both faces of Botswana. Obviously game viewing was better now but the rainy season is an amazing time in its own way.

By the way, I really enjoyed writing the trip reports so I am glad that people are enjoying them. Every evening I would write down the days events on my phone, initially intending it just for the children to read when they get older. But then after reading many trip reports on this forum, I decided to share them here for others to read.

There was such a contrast between the two trips that I actually don't prefer one over the other. Where there was an impassable road, now we found a sandy dusty road. Where the bush was green and dense, now we found trees devoid of leaves and completely brown. I think we were fortunate that we got to see both faces of Botswana. Obviously game viewing was better now but the rainy season is an amazing time in its own way.

By the way, I really enjoyed writing the trip reports so I am glad that people are enjoying them. Every evening I would write down the days events on my phone, initially intending it just for the children to read when they get older. But then after reading many trip reports on this forum, I decided to share them here for others to read.
    thanks one more thing, 2017 was more lodging am I right and 2019 predominatly camping. Would you advise a novice to go the camping route 1st or is the lodging recomended, do you prefer the camping over the lodging

regards

My wife and I come from families who never camped at all which is why we stayed in lodgings in 2017. Just to give you an idea of who we are, we are an Indian Muslim family from Durban, and one of the reasons, we travel alone is that there is no-one in our extended family or circle of friends that overland like we have done. And this was borne out by the fact that we saw no other non-white couples or families during both trips to Botswana.

But once we were there, we realised that the best way to see these amazing places was to camp. I suppose it depends on your experience. If at all possible, I would suggest camping. The experience is so much better in my opinion. It was so hard to pack up and leave Third Bridge. Just wanted to stay longer.

Wonderful trip reports, really made me miss incredible Botswana.

Thank you for posting
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - nicknamed 'The Elephant' by my four and seven-year-olds

www.andrewsalomon.com

Good Evening all,

Regards,
    thanks for this great post.
    2001 Defender 90 2.8i- snorkel, 9500lbs winch, roofrack. BFG AT.
    1976 series 3, 109- 2,5 Chev motor, warn winch ,snorkel, bash plates, SAG 750x16

great reading. Made me look at distances and reconsider leave planning!

How old is your children? I have toddlers so not to keen yet to do something like this, they are fine with the distances but may end up as a snack
    Last edited by m0lt3n; 2019/11/26 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    great reading. Made me look at distances and reconsider leave planning!

How old is your children? I have toddlers so not to keen yet to do something like this, they are fine with the distances but may end up as a snack
    Our kids were 4, 6, 10 and 12 on the first trip in 2017. We did see families with younger kids on both trips. If you are sensible, they will be fine. We never left them alone especially the smaller 2. We also took a porta potty along on this trip that we setup next to the caravan in a shower tent so that we didn't have to go to the ablutions during the night. For evening showers, we actually drove the hundred or so meters to the ablutions! We got them into the caravan early at night was well. As long as you are aware of whats happening around you, I wouldn't be scared to take children along. And I think it is so nice to get children out into the bush and away from the distractions of modern life.
    Last edited by FatHuey; 2019/11/26 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks. Enjoyed reading your report

My wife and I come from families who never camped at all which is why we stayed in lodgings in 2017. Just to give you an idea of who we are, we are an Indian Muslim family from Durban...........
    If you ever go on an extended safari to East Africa you will meet plenty of Indian Muslim families camping, they love it up there.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

My wife and I come from families who never camped at all which is why we stayed in lodgings in 2017. Just to give you an idea of who we are, we are an Indian Muslim family from Durban, and one of the reasons, we travel alone is that there is no-one in our extended family or circle of friends that overland like we have done. And this was borne out by the fact that we saw no other non-white couples or families during both trips to Botswana.

But once we were there, we realised that the best way to see these amazing places was to camp. I suppose it depends on your experience. If at all possible, I would suggest camping. The experience is so much better in my opinion. It was so hard to pack up and leave Third Bridge. Just wanted to stay longer.
    Thank you and yes a great trip report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast