Track conditions in CKGR, Nxai Pan and Moremi in rainy season 2019/2020 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Track conditions in CKGR, Nxai Pan and Moremi in rainy season 2019/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    While we're on the subject, has anyone traveled the stretch between Xade and Bape recently? If so, what was the track like?

Thanks!
    Bump

Anyone travel this stretch recently?

Default Re: Track conditions in CKGR, Nxai Pan and Moremi in rainy season 2019/2020

Regarding Nxai Pan, here's my video of the trip https://youtu.be/Fjjk7WWqCmM

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Hi All, just got back from Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Makgadikgadi Pans, and Nxai Pan. CKGR was very dry in the east (Deception, Sunday and Leopard). The rains seemed to be concentrated more to the West, and Tau Pan was much greener and wetter around the pan, but still easily drivable. Didn't go down to Piper or Letiahau.

After CKGR we stayed in Khumaga for a couple of nights. On the night of 23 February there was a massive storm there. 95mm of rain overnight! Tracks in CKGR were a bit damaged from the runoff but it was sandy where we were driving so it actually made driving easier. Pretty sure the storm would have reached the CKGR, so I'm interested to hear what happened there.

As a result of the rains, many Nxai roads were more like rivers when we arrived on the 25th of Feb, but they were almost completely dry by the time we left on the 28th. Baines was spectacular with the pans about half covered in water on the 28th of feb. Roads across the pans were unpassable, but there are routes around the edges.

Zebras were absent from MPNP, travelled all the way to the North East side hoping to see them. Quite a few herds in Nxai. Numbers seemed to be increasing while we were there. Maybe a couple of thousand by the time we left, but quite dispersed. On the way home we stopped at Planet Baobab and did a game drive to the edge of Jacks camp concession, and saw large herds of Zebra in the bush in the community area between Jacks and PB. They were still in the bush, but apparently they move onto the edge of the pans in the afternoons.

Hope this helps,
    Rob
    Last edited by bobhof; 2020/03/03 at 03:44 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobhof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bobhof View Post
    Hi All, just got back from Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Makgadikgadi Pans, and Nxai Pan. CKGR was very dry in the east (Deception, Sunday and Leopard). The rains seemed to be concentrated more to the West, and Tau Pan was much greener and wetter around the pan, but still easily drivable. Didn't go down to Piper or Letiahau.

After CKGR we stayed in Khumaga for a couple of nights. On the night of 23 august there was a massive storm there. 95mm of rain overnight! Tracks in CKGR were a bit damaged from the runoff but it was sandy where we were driving so it actually made driving easier. Pretty sure the storm would have reached the CKGR, so I'm interested to hear what happened there.

As a result of the rains, many Nxai roads were more like rivers when we arrived on the 25th of Feb, but they were almost completely dry by the time we left on the 28th. Baines was spectacular with the pans about half covered in water on the 28th of feb. Roads across the pans were unpassable, but there are routes around the edges.

Zebras were absent from MPNP, travelled all the way to the North East side hoping to see them. Quite a few herds in Nxai. Numbers seemed to be increasing while we were there. Maybe a couple of thousand by the time we left, but quite dispersed. On the way home we stopped at Planet Baobab and did a game drive to the edge of Jacks camp concession, and saw large herds of Zebra in the bush in the community area between Jacks and PB. They were still in the bush, but apparently they move onto the edge of the pans in the afternoons.

Hope this helps,
    Rob
    Thanks Rob for the update, really helps. I don't know how it is in the pans, NOW that the whole country has been receiving rainfall since Saturday and continuing even today. Wish you compiled a FUL Travel Report with pictures, since you covered so many areas that are exciting. Its been a LONG TIME since I read a NEW Trip Report here on our BOTSWANA section of the forum. And they are really helpful in planning.
    NOTE: "
    On the night of 23 august there was a massive storm there", maybe its a typing error.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2020/03/03 at 03:50 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Thanks Rob for the update, really helps. I don't how it is now in the pans, NOW that the whole country has been receiving rainfall since Saturday and continuing even today. Wish you compiled a FUL Travel Report with pictures, since you covered so many areas that are exciting. I been LONG TIME since I read a NEW Trip Report here on our BOTSWANA section of the forum. And they are really helpful in planning.
    NOTE: "
    On the night of 23 august there was a massive storm there", maybe its a typing error.
    Thanks Pat n Wolf. I've fixed the error. I have a terrible memory and really should take notes for trip reports. I did shoot a lot of video and will put together something for YouTube, but it will take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    ........ Its been a LONG TIME since I read a NEW Trip Report here on our BOTSWANA section of the forum. And they are really helpful in planning.......

Thanks Pat for stating the facts as you find them. I know that you personally feed in a lot of up-to-date and relevant information about Botswana and always chip in when there is a post with queries related to a planned trip.

I know that a large number of knowledgeable members and frequent contributors have visibly slowed down with contributions. I think that, the same as yourself, they feel a little upset that there are some that take much from this forum, but feel under no obligation to give back. Where will this fund of 4x4, camping and overlanding knowledge end up?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hello,

I m also a member of the drivebots facebook group and this was posted a few minutes ago. Don t know if it s right?;;

Those planing to do Moremi national park its flooded I repeat its flooded check with wildlife office for updates

3rd bridge its a no go zone as per the update by one of the wildlife officers

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    3rd bridge its a no go zone as per the update by one of the wildlife officers
    Hi everybody! Thanks for the info that you are always updating, for sure It is very useful. The thing is that We are going to Bots on early April, four days on CKGR (Sunday Pan área), two in Moremi (Third bridge and Xakanaka) and 3 in Chobe (Savuti and Ihaha)According the weather forecast for that period, Do you think Moremi It's going to be still flooded? I'm afraid about Third bridge and Xakanaka to be closed due to high water levels at that time?Thanks in advance, any help you can give will be welcomed

Flood is looking very strong this year

https://www.oddballs-camp.com/okavangofloodlevels

Morning all. We are leaving next week for a 10 day trip through the Moremi. Any news or updates on accessibility to Khwai, Xakanaka and 3rd bridge due to water levels?

Name:  IMG_2233.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  163.8 KB

Just made it back with a few hours to spare before lock down

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3