To GPS or not to GPS? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: To GPS or not to GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    And 'she' has a good memory too. All my previous 'favourites' are in there and all I do is hit the "Go" button.
    And when 'way out west' it is a comfort to have the breadcrumbs to find our way back if need be. I also make a point of noting map errors or changed layouts/surfaces
    And this is also something that phones struggle with.

I still prefer my trusty old Garmin Montana. Since 2011. (And a GPSMap before that)

I only use it when going down south or when venturing into unknown destination.

I have not deleted a track (breadcrumb) since I started to use it. All my waypoints are on there as well. (Everything backed up to BaseCamp).

For quick finding a restaurant, filling station, B&B ..... the Smartphone apps works well.

As for staying up to date with maps: I use OpenStreetmap on the Garmin. I can update at any time. Most free Smartphone Apps uses the same maps/data from OpenStreetmap.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2019/12/02 at 03:34 PM.
    Kobus

Nissan

There still is no replacement for my GPSMAP 276CX and T4A when over landing! You can load whatever you want on a cell phone or whatever but when you are in the middle of nowhere without signal and you see some new tracks or the pre-loaded track is un-drivable for whatever reason you're stuck. Cell phone and Google maps is good in the city though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    There still is no replacement for my GPSMAP 276CX and T4A when over landing! You can load whatever you want on a cell phone or whatever but when you are in the middle of nowhere without signal and you see some new tracks or the pre-loaded track is un-drivable for whatever reason you're stuck. Cell phone and Google maps is good in the city though.
    Quite an expensive bit of kit. How does it compare to the new Garmin Overlander?
    I wouldnt mind buying one of these, as long as you get free map updates for say 10 years. Although, if it will only be used for overlanding etc it doesnt really matter. T4a gets updated and thats all that matters.... Might get one before my kgalagadi / Mabua trip. Although from my research its hard to get lost with so few tracks, hope I'm right.....
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Quite an expensive bit of kit. How does it compare to the new Garmin Overlander?
    The Garmin Overlander is an expensive Android tablet with Open Street Maps that is optimised for US buyers. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The Garmin Overlander is an expensive Android tablet with Open Street Maps that is optimised for US buyers. IMHO.
    Yip. I think Johan from T4A gave it a bad review recently in another thread?

The Overlander is what it is called, and with some other functions then a Drive, thus not water proof like the 276cx, but have more memory for tracking etc, a bigger screen, reverse camera and a phone connection. Battery life on the 276cx is obviously longer as it is hand held device also.

Depends what you like. Personally I did used nuvi/drives and T4A all along. And used an Etrex for hinking etc. But bought the Overlander now. The 276 is maybe the better option for navigation, screen size wise, if you dont want the Overlander, or a Drive for that matter. The Zumo also have a decent screen size. Only the Overlander and Nuvi's/Drives have the reverse camera option.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/04 at 09:29 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3