Can we connect a 6kVA Online UPS on a 5kVA Diesel Power Generator..?

Default Can we connect a 6kVA Online UPS on a 5kVA Diesel Power Generator..?

My friend has a 5kW Diesel power generator with the following specs:

Model: JDP6000-LDENS (Bought from Adendorff Machinery Mart)

Rated Power: 5kW

Rated Voltage: 220 V

Rated Current: 22.7 A

Rated Speed: 3000 RPM

Phase/Power Factor: 1/1.0

Rated Frequency: 50 Hz

They want to use a ME-6000-WPTU MECER WINNER PRO 6000VA ON-LINE TOWER UPS PF 0.8 on it with a
    ME-10KWPBB Mecer 10000VA / 8000W Extended Battery Tower (for Mecer 6000VA) for extra standby time.

The total load will be about 2500w (all office equipment like server,desktops,laptops and small deskjet printers)

Will this work ?

Default Re: Can we connect a 6kVA Online UPS on a 5kVA Diesel Power Generator..?

In principle yes - unless the UPS rejects the gennie as an unstable load.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Default Re: Can we connect a 6kVA Online UPS on a 5kVA Diesel Power Generator..?

As the ME-6000-WPTU MECER WINNER PRO 6000VA ON-LINE TOWER UPS is a double conversion UPS it will use the AC from the genny and convert to DC and then invert back to true sine wave AC so generally these UPSes are very tolerant to a bad input and should work without a problem.

The specs indicate it is happy as long as the input is between 100-300V AC. Interesting to see this UPS uses 16x12V 9Ah batteries instead of less bigger batteries and charges at 220v DC.

Glad I don't have to ensure all 16 batteries stay in tip top condition -

@ Fluffy - Did you mean the genny is the load from the UPS?
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/11/25 at 08:37 AM.

I once connected a 2.5kVA Yanmar diesel generator (Non-electronic voltage regulator) to the grid supply side of a 4kW MLT Drives Bi-Directional Inverter as I needed some "off datasheet" information. Everyone could just provide the safe answers, but not the ... what happens to certain things in the grey areas of operation

System ran fine, but then the inverter did have the facility to "dial in" the power that can be drawn from the generator. The inverter can combine outside sources to power loads that are greater than the inverter or generator's capacities.

Lets just say interesting things happen when a 3 kW solar system starts to export power to a 2.5 kVa diesel generator that does not have the electronics to disconnect..... inverter just raises the export voltage untill upper limit is reached, while the alternator of the genset tries to figure out if it is a generator or a motor ! .

Nothing ended up damaged in my case and all equipment was still use able afterwards, but all at your own risk.
    1998 Hilux SC 3000D
    2001 Hilux DC KZTE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0D4D
    VW T5.1 BiTdi Transporter

I have tried this setup but my UPS is very frequency sensitive and is not happy with fluctuations from the genset.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Quote Originally Posted by vlakkie View Post
    I once connected a 2.5kVA Yanmar diesel generator (Non-electronic voltage regulator) to the grid supply side of a 4kW MLT Drives Bi-Directional Inverter as I needed some "off datasheet" information. Everyone could just provide the safe answers, but not the ... what happens to certain things in the grey areas of operation

System ran fine, but then the inverter did have the facility to "dial in" the power that can be drawn from the generator. The inverter can combine outside sources to power loads that are greater than the inverter or generator's capacities.

Lets just say interesting things happen when a 3 kW solar system starts to export power to a 2.5 kVa diesel generator that does not have the electronics to disconnect..... inverter just raises the export voltage untill upper limit is reached, while the alternator of the genset tries to figure out if it is a generator or a motor ! .

Nothing ended up damaged in my case and all equipment was still use able afterwards, but all at your own risk.
    I love your subtle humor

Those Mercer UPS's are pretty forgiving.
    I ran PSS 10KVA UPS's, with extended battery towers off a 375KW gennie during blackouts, never had any problems.

WRT the smaller batteries the PSS also uses PLENTY small batteries. Once a year you get the experts in to test and report on the workings on the UPS.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    I love your subtle humor
    Agreed! I think 'risk' is the operative word..

My 2400va Mecer inverter doesn't like the input from my 5kva chinese generator.

Sy kop haak uit.
    Kobus

Nissan

Have seen too many UPS units die when connected to small / cheap gennies. Even when the gen. is of sufficient capacity, some UPS units go haywire when the gen. output starts fluctuating wildly, e.g. due to running out of fuel.
    ZS6VL