Johannesburg to zanzibar

Default Johannesburg to zanzibar

Hi i need some info on camping and sight seeing along this route I have planned. We will be camping in an rtt...

It will be my wife and 2 year old son... Solo trip

We plan leaving Jhb to vicfalls via Botswana, then mana pools along Kariba. There after into Malawi along the lake onward to Tanzania and ferry to zanzibar

4 weeks return trip. Most time to be spent in Malawi and zanzibar. Other places 2 days max.

Default Re: Johannesburg to zanzibar

A lovely trip you have planned. Four weeks up and down is quite tight, but with some long days on the road and one-nighters, it is possible, albeit hard work.

I will only give you advice on Tanzania as I never comment south of the Zambezi.

Things to do and see on your route through Tanzania from Mbeya to Dar-es-Salaam (although I am not sure you will have time in four weeks up and down to do much more than just drive most days):

• Ruaha National Park
    • Udzungwa National Park (mountains and primates)
    • Mikumi National Park (although there are much better parks to see in TZ)

It is not possible (or is a great hassle) getting your own vehicle on to the island of Zanzibar. There are various recommendations on where to leave a vehicle in and around Dar-es-Salaam.

As for places to stay or camp on your route, here are those conveniently placed after a day’s drive:

• Utengule Coffee Lodge near Mbeya
    • Old Farmhouse Kisolanza near Iringa
    • TanSwiss Lodge near Mikumi

The traffic in Dar can be horrendous. And be very aware on the main roads of the maniac Tanzanian buses - they take no prisoners!

Safari njema!

Although you are not planning on going as far as the Serengeti, it might help you to plan your trip to read this thread.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t=#post4141567

For information on places to camp on the road have a look at http://ioverlander.com/. This site also has plenty of logistical info.

The other indispensable aid is the Tracks4Africa GPS programme. Speak to the people at your nearest Outdoor Warehouse if you require further info about T4A.

Enjoy your planning and keep any queries coming.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hello Mogale.

Has this information been useful to you?

And please, please let the forum know what you have decided/your plans.