Kgalagadi in December - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Kgalagadi in December

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Thanks. I see some of the 4x4 routes have to be booked.
    You are probably looking at the Nossob 4x4 trail and the Polentswa Wilderness trail. Yes they have to be booked, no towing is allowed, more than one vehicle, one ways and they are over multiple days with compulsory stop over camp sites along the way. Nossob 4x4 trail is guided.

Then there are the Gharagab, Bitterpan and !Xaus 4x4 trails. Also one ways, but only as access for the residents of those camps. Again no trailers and you cannot just drive them as a game viewing track.

The only 4x4 trail which you can do is Leeuwdril. Quite mild but more than one vehicle is preferable. No extra cost, you just need to go to TR and tell them you want to do the trail now and they will give you permit or baton which you need to hand back in so that they know you made it.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

ANY month is the right month to visit KTP; the sightings and the type of vegetation (or lack thereof) will be determined by the specific time of your visit.We are regulars in the Kalahari: be it icy cold winters or drop dead summer heat. Just being there makes it worthwhile. Remember that there is a huge difference between 40°C in Kruger and in KTP. The heat in the Kalahari is dry; therefore it is bearable. As long as the beers are cold, you will be fine.
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine

December 20th
    8.33 am
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just go for it. We decided last year beginning of December to go, checked twice a day for cancellations and ended up spending 8 days from the 26th of Dec onwards.
    It will be very hot but you get use to it within the first two days.
    Enjoy!
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    You are probably looking at the Nossob 4x4 trail and the Polentswa Wilderness trail. Yes they have to be booked, no towing is allowed, more than one vehicle, one ways and they are over multiple days with compulsory stop over camp sites along the way. Nossob 4x4 trail is guided.

Then there are the Gharagab, Bitterpan and !Xaus 4x4 trails. Also one ways, but only as access for the residents of those camps. Again no trailers and you cannot just drive them as a game viewing track.

The only 4x4 trail which you can do is Leeuwdril. Quite mild but more than one vehicle is preferable. No extra cost, you just need to go to TR and tell them you want to do the trail now and they will give you permit or baton which you need to hand back in so that they know you made it.
    These ones. I see now that you have to be a overnight guest on some of them. The rest, besides nossob, is free for all then?
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

My advice - don’t get hung up about doing any “trails” on your first trip. Keep it simple and explore the main roads along the river beds. That’s where 99% of the action will be.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    My advice - don’t get hung up about doing any “trails” on your first trip. Keep it simple and explore the main roads along the river beds. That’s where 99% of the action will be.
    Thanks. I will start planning tonight. need to book as soon as bookings open.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    12 Conqueror courage

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    These ones. I see now that you have to be a overnight guest on some of them. The rest, besides nossob, is free for all then?

Well those are the one's I referred to. In short forget about them. Leeuwdril is the only available trail to do.

I am not sure which other one's you refer to as free for all? The roads between TR and Nossob, TR and Mata-Mata, the upper and lower dune roads are huge gravel, corrugated roads. Not trails.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

If you can do Kruger Kgalagadi is easy. Same temperature but without the humidity.

As far as I know, you cannot drive the Leeudril 4x4 trail for free.

If I Remember korrektly, the last time we use the trail it costs about R80 per vehicles.

Thanks for all the input. I will try to get a kgalagadi map. Like the kruger maps. Will try our local sanparks office and see if they can organise one for me. Other wise will have to get someone in pta to postnet me one from groenkloof.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    12 Conqueror courage

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    Just DO IT! i will be there week 2 Dec, my fourth time. Take a small fan with for the tent..

My only concern here is if a V10 Treg is actually the car for that terrain...will know shortly.
    Your V10 should be fine!

Enjoy!
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Wet long sleeved shirt, wring it out and put it on.
    When it's starting to get dry, wet it again.
    And so forth - works great!

Might get away for about 10 days there, but booked chalets with aircons. But spent a few Decembers there camping also. During the day, if not driving, stayed under a gazebo and if thats under a tree even better.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/11/19 at 10:25 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Nice to see people enduring the December Kalahari heat. I usually flee to the West Coast in December to enjoy cooler weather.

Also have a rule I do not camp in the Kalahari from November to mid February.

December is also a dry month and animals are in a very poor condition, especially since we are in a severe drought. Best times for Kalahari is from end February till May.

Ek is seker maar `n softie.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/11/20 at 06:02 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Nice to see people enduring the December Kalahari heat. I usually flee to the West Coast in December to enjoy cooler weather.

Also have a rule I do not camp in the Kalahari from November to mid February.

December is also a dry month and animals are in a very poor condition, especially since we are in a severe drought. Best times for Kalahari is from end February till May.

Ek is seker maar `n softie.
    i have a similar rule for kruger. Nov to march, no camping in the south, and must have electricity.

But like I said, new working conditions forces me to camp in dec. I think we are going to have a blast! Pitty its only next year
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    12 Conqueror courage

Default Kgalagadi in December

On my bucket list for 2020. I have just had a couple that spent their holiday in Kgaligadi stay over at the guest house.

They tell me the lion is something to behold. His words “the cats are on steroids. They are almost twice as big as anywhere else “

Must be something to see.
    Last edited by Zapiture; 2019/11/20 at 09:45 AM.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

There are a few things that we have tried and tested through the years to make some very hot days bearable when travelling in Kgalagadi.
    Take a small bathroom towel and wet it then you rinse it and put it into the deep freeze until it is frozen solid,upon leaving camp place the frozen towel around your neck.
    This cools your body down and lasts for a few hours.I have experienced that if you keep your feet and neck cool and to wear a descent hat in the scorching sun this really helps to cool you down.
    We stay in Askham and visit Kgalagadi more than frequently.Love the Kalahari but the severe drought is causing large numbers of animals to die.

Kgalagadi really quite mild right now - just don't go to Bloemfontein
    DGO Fiddler

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    Your V10 should be fine!

Enjoy!
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...1&d=1574182016

Die golf laat my terugdink aan ons 1 e besoek in 1979 in 'n mazda 323. Daardie Februarie maand was ek en Sarel en my sussie en haar kerel die enigste besoekers aan die park. Ons was tot by Mata Mata en terug Tweerivieren toe. DIe grensdraad by Mata Mata was maar laag en nie wat waffers nie. Die ranger het ons gewaarsku dat daar leeus kan inkom. Wel daardie aand was so warm, ons het ons 4 matrasse op die stoepie gegooi en geslaap. Maar daardie was lekker dae!. Onthou dat ons die grootste trop leeus gekry het by 'n watergat.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast