Grid tied system

Default Grid tied system

Maybe the smart guys can tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree here. I've wanted to move the pool pump onto solar for a while, but dedicated solar pumps are expensive and inverters big enough that can handle the startup demand are just as expensive.

Thought process went from there to rather do a grid tied inverter (no batteries at this stage) supplying the house and them adding some control to the system to run the pool pump whenever there is excess generation capacity?

This seems a softer option to start going off grid?
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Default Re: Grid tied system

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Thought process went from there to rather do a grid tied inverter (no batteries at this stage) supplying the house and them adding some control to the system to run the pool pump whenever there is excess generation capacity?

This seems a softer option to start going off grid?
    Good thinking!
    Move as many of your electrical loads to daytime operation which can be supplied by your grid tie system!

It's the best idea to go solar for daytime loads and use the grid for the night.

The huge investment in batteries isn't needed, and you'd need the inverters and controllers anyway.

Pool can maybe run off a NIST type controller that only switches on the pool if a certain incoming kW is reached? Dunno, beyond my brain.

I have done this. But other way around. I have 1 bank of batteries, so during loadshedding and power outages I have backup power for about 10 hours. I will be installing solar next, then it will take from solar first, then grid, then batteries. Dont want to cycle the batteries every day as this is what kills it. Changing stove and geyser to gas next year as well. My electric bill went up from 1300 to 2100 the past 2 months. Dont know why.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    ... My electric bill went up from 1300 to 2100 the past 2 months. Dont know why.
    So we won't be trusting your advice on these matters then!

(Maybe you started using your aircon again after the "winter", or whatever you call the season between summers in the Lowveld?)
    Last edited by JanB; 2019/11/19 at 02:11 PM.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    I have done this. But other way around. I have 1 bank of batteries, so during loadshedding and power outages I have backup power for about 10 hours. I will be installing solar next, then it will take from solar first, then grid, then batteries. Dont want to cycle the batteries every day as this is what kills it. Changing stove and geyser to gas next year as well. My electric bill went up from 1300 to 2100 the past 2 months. Dont know why.
    What I intend doing with my system once I have added batteries, is to set the batteries to only dischage 30% while the Grid, and to allow discharge to 80% when off Grid, so effectively from 30% to 80% for load shedding... (LiFePO4 batteries), which should still cause long battery life, and allow some use of the excess power generated during daytime hours...
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    Thanks!

Rough cost of the system?
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

[QUOTE=LandyLove;4274384 My electric bill went up from 1300 to 2100 the past 2 months. Dont know why.[/QUOTE]

Is this because of the losses through the inverter?
    I'm looking at doing something similar but was told my power consumption would increase by up to 30% due to inefficiencies in the inverter and chargers......
    2008 UN type Patrol 3.0 diesel,