VW Amarok Major Service 180,000km

Default VW Amarok Major Service 180,000km

Hi Guys,

I got a really nice quotation on major service from WestCape VW in Kuils River.
    R3,799 incl Vat
    2.0 BiTDI

Thought I will share if anyone is interested.
    2013 VW Amarok 132kw 4x2 (M)

Default Re: VW Amarok Major Service 180,000km

Quote Originally Posted by Slaqq View Post
    Hi Guys,

I got a really nice quotation on major service from WestCape VW in Kuils River.
    R3,799 incl Vat
    2.0 BiTDI

Thought I will share if anyone is interested.
    Major service? with cambelt and tensioners?
    Just paid R9400 with a service and the waterpump all in at a Indy.
    2014 AMAROK 4MOTION
    2014 BUSHLAPA 350 MISKRUIER

Quote Originally Posted by Voetpomp View Post
    According to the agents, the cam belt only needs to be replaced every 120k km.

They charge well north of R10k to do only that.

Depending on your plans for the vehicle, I would seriously consider replacing the following if not already done.

Brake Fluid
    Rad Fluid
    TCase Fluid
    GearBox Fluid
    Front and Rear Diff Fluids.

These are all "filled for life" according to VW. Biggest load of twak I have heard. Mine were foul when I did them all.

I do the am belt every 80K and the water pump is a good idea if you are that deep in the engine anyway.
    I also do all filters every service.

Not sure what is covered by the "major service", but as mentioned by others, probably not that major.

I serviced all my wife's cars myself, except the EcoSport 1l.

I always replaced oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and if there is a spark plug that looks iffy, I replaced all four. Brake pads and fluid got the same treatment (once causing a hilarious situation when with the rear drums which will never leave the garage where my father in law helped me).
    It never took more than an hour.
    All those things are termed as a "Major service".
    So when I see these pamflets that say "Major service from R595" I take it with a pinch of salt...

Quote Originally Posted by Voetpomp View Post
    Since when does a cambelt and waterpump replacement form part of an interval service? Those are items that gets replaced every 120k km's

I was quoted R5600 at all the other VW dealers. West Cape Volkswagen quoted R3799
    https://www.westcapevw.co.za/

This includes
    - Fuel Filter
    - Air Filter
    - Oil Filter
    - Pollen Filter
    - Sump Screw
    - Oil Change
    - Diagnostics
    - Vehicle Inspection

Use it, don't use it.
    Those who wants to keep their vehicles in top shape...you are welcome
    Last edited by Slaqq; 2019/11/25 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaqq View Post
    Since when does a cambelt and waterpump replacement form part of an interval service? Those are items that gets replaced every 120k
    I think the challenge is that some of the cam belts fail before the 120k interval and if it is an interference engine, then major damage will be done. Replacing the cam belt a bit earlier is cheapish insurance since I assume you are out of warrantee?

Anyway there is nothing wrong with the dealer service, but I plan on driving my car into the ground so I perhaps maintain a little more than the dealer spec. I recently had ZF replace my clutch and spoke them about the “filled for life” policy and they said it is complete nonsense, but does give them good business. By the way, if yours is an auto, they suggested that there was some widget that stops working , to do with the gearbox cooling, and if that goes your gearbox is toast. They suggested just replacing that at some interval as a precautionary measure.

I also had jono, decat my exhaust and also bypass the egr system. This may also be worth looking into at the age of your vehicle.

I have a very cool turbo whistle now which i quote like.

I keep being impressed by the Amarok and there are now quite a few high milers and it seems the little milk bottles keep on going!

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I think the challenge is that some of the cam belts fail before the 120k interval and if it is an interference engine, then major damage will be done. Replacing the cam belt a bit earlier is cheapish insurance since I assume you are out of warrantee?

Anyway there is nothing wrong with the dealer service, but I plan on driving my car into the ground so I perhaps maintain a little more than the dealer spec. I recently had ZF replace my clutch and spoke them about the “filled for life” policy and they said it is complete nonsense, but does give them good business. By the way, if yours is an auto, they suggested that there was some widget that stops working , to do with the gearbox cooling, and if that goes your gearbox is toast. They suggested just replacing that at some interval as a precautionary measure.

I also had jono, decat my exhaust and also bypass the egr system. This may also be worth looking into at the age of your vehicle.

I have a very cool turbo whistle now which i quote like.

I keep being impressed by the Amarok and there are now quite a few high milers and it seems the little milk bottles keep on going!

I am driving the manual 2.0 BiTDI.
    Yes, I have done the de-cat 2 days ago at Powerflow. EGR Cooler was also removed a month ago and blanked off. Unfortunately I do not have the tools and technical know how to do the maintenance myself. Prefer to have all the work done at agents and get service book stamped for better resale value.
    I have not picked up the turbo whistle though

Cambelt was changed at 120k initially. Waterpump sprung a leak at 150k and I had waterpump and cambelt kit replaced again. Dealer advised the chemicals in coolant could have a negative effect on belt
    Last edited by Slaqq; 2019/11/28 at 07:46 AM.