First fridge/freezer - Help me make the right decision please - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: First fridge/freezer - Help me make the right decision please

When buying a fridge keep this in mind:

1. There isn't a bad fridge out there, all are of decent quality nowadays
    2. Buy the biggest fridge that will fit into your vehicle. Measure well and make sure the lid will fully open. Plan where the fridge-slide will go and how you will fit it.
    3. Buy a dual, it's just that more versatile.
    4. Look at warranties and after sales service.
    5. Look at the wall/isolation thickness, it makes a big difference especially in warm climates like ours.
    6. Look at extras that you can get included in the deal. Baskets, Covers and remote monitors are expensive if you have to buy them separate and you do need them.
    7. If possible, buy and pull a cable through from the main battery, for starters. You're going to need it later on anyway.
    8. Do not listen to sales people!
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/11/18 at 05:54 PM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Isolation, compressor size and then the running time at the end is what count. To compare direct running amps would not tell the complete story.

There was such a test some time back in a magazine on the different fridges.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    Using my faithful Fluke Multi-meter, I compared both on startup current and current when temperature setting was achieved, SnowMaster won.

I am a BIG NL fan, but Fluke's don't lie
    Hmmm, when set temperature is achieved, current draw is close to zero. Startup current is not of much consequence here, but the running current is. For the test to be of any value, it would need to be a bit more scientific. For Mr. Average Joe, it's much of a muchness. If you are disciplined in terms of use, not opening it every few minutes and making sure you have adequate battery capacity and a means of keeping the battery charged, then the OP should be fine with NL, Snomaster, Dometic, Engel...
    Last edited by An3s; 2019/11/18 at 06:59 PM.
    ZS6VL

My 2c
    Bought a Snomaster expedition series 66 litre double about 18 months ago.
    Me super super happy with it.
    Especially the efficiency - maybe due to the 70mm insulation
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2019/11/18 at 07:16 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 840 000 km

all of the above mentioned is valid-----my concerns is the after sales service

when you get n brakedown---problem----misshap--downtime (not having a fridge but just an over-rated cooler box

the cooler box is the cheapest--just get some dry ice an you go
    get another cooler box to keep extras cold not to be opened for the last days

costs and parts to fix the unit
    this is normally the killer

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Agree, for the start battery is fine if you drive most of the day, set it a bit colder and switch it off for most of the night. Alternative is a solar setup that provides enough electricity to keep the battery charged during the day.
    I agree Oom Johan. We did an 8 day trip through Damaraland in December 2017 with a NL 60L Twin plugged into the cigarette socket of my 20 year old Pajero with no dual battery system and no solar panels, etc.

No issues whatsoever. We had an awesome time and nothing defrosted or went off - despite 40+ degree days. Just freeze everything properly before you leave and take out the stuff that you are braaiing that night each morning and put it in the fridge section. That cold meat also chills the new beers that you put in nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    Hmmm, when set temperature is achieved, current draw is close to zero. Startup current is not of much consequence here, but the running current is. For the test to be of any value, it would need to be a bit more scientific. For Mr. Average Joe, it's much of a muchness. If you are disciplined in terms of use, not opening it every few minutes and making sure you have adequate battery capacity and a means of keeping the battery charged, then the OP should be fine with NL, Snomaster, Dometic, Engel...
    My Apologies, I was referring to running current keeping temperature to the setting, current is close to 0 when the temperature is achieved. Running current = intervals the compressor kick in to keep the setting

I would from as soon as possible in your camping career try to get myself in a position where I have cooling as well as freezing space. So I would try to work towards that goal in the end. I used to camp with one 40l Engel and 4 people, without any additional power. It is doable but planning and disipline is essential. I now have an extra 40l Engel. So I have 40l freezer and 40l fridge space. That gives me about 14 days off grid, as that is the amount of meat that fits into a 40l freezer. So my advice is get a big one with dual zone or two smaller ones in the end. I am however a believer in having different options. So I prefer the two fridges, as you can take one or two on a short or long trip. More importantly if you have trouble with your fridge on a long trip, you can still "limp" on and complete it without everything spoiling. I know if you go and read up about it, everybody has a "perfect" recipy for keeping everything cold and everyone is different. Unfortunately you have to find your own groove.

On the topic of power I would say this. I think the cheapest way of getting power to a fridge is with solar. Back in the day I put a panel on my roofrack. That way I had power while I was driving, as well as when I was parked during the day. Those lighter plugs are not very reliable in my opinion.

Cooling is unfortunately not a very cheap category of camping.
    '14 Hilux 3.0D4D DC 4x4
    '96 Hilux 2.4P DC 4x4 Bloutrein
    Echo 4 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    Hi All.I am in the market for my first campimg fridge/freezer (yes, eagerly waiting for some good Black Friday deal).My shortlist - National Luna Legacy 60 lt dual. And Dometic 50 lt. NL for its build quality, dual zone and because it's NL. Dometic for its price, controller position and obviously the price.We are two adults. Wild camping max 4 to 5 days, sometimes less.Is the 50 lt Dometic enough for two adults, say for 7 days' chicken and some other food and drinks?I like the idea of dual zone, but price of NL...What do you recommend?Oh and I don't have a dual battery setup. My first couple of trips have to be without it as no budget now.Can these units be run on boot cigarette lighter of my Pajero Sport? The cover of the socket says 120W.Yes, it's not ideal, but I'll keep the fridge off at night.
    Have you considered the Snomaster? I have two of them, and love them (80 liter single and a 66 liter dual).The NL is great, and the Dometic is cool too.You should be able to get away just fine with something in the region of 50-60 liters. I used my 66 liter dual (in which I had 10 liters of ice bricks for the ice box) (and a 45 liter ice box) for two weeks in the Kgalagadi and had space left over in the fridge/ice box side.I started out with using the 80 liter during the day and switching it off at night, and had no issues in the Kruger (December temperatures).You can get 7 days' worth of chicken (and a little more) into a 50 liter.... if you pack properly. You need to freeze/form your food to fit efficiently.But then, how much is 7 days' worth of chicken?I camped next to a group of 6 people, and they ate as much meat in 3 days as we (group of two) ate in a few weeks.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information. Looks like dual zone is the way to go...
    As suggested by some, I'll definitely have a look at Snomaster, which is sold by quite a lot of shops I see, likes of Makro, Takealot etc. Whereas NL by only few, Outdoor Warehouse and NL themselves, it seems.

Dual battery was on my radar until I got a quotation of around R8000 for dual battery setup! Does it really cost that much?

As I mentioned earlier. I have been to ODW, but have found the sales team memorize the brochure.

I am looking for a +-65-80.5lt dual

one of my questions to sales team was. Is the dometics not better with them being plastic construction and general consumption. In my mind the "plastic"outer would be better.
    A: with heat and does not transfer as stainless would
    B: Would take minor bump better as it is more flexible and would not dent.

then salesman starts "yes but the NL" - blah blah not answering any questions. Like they only get commission selling NL products.

Does the dometic price tag justify it?
    Dometic dual cfx75 R13k (45/30 split)
    NL 72Dual R11k (38/33slpit) /SM 72 dual R9k takealot
    SM 82.5 dual R11k (40/42.5 split)

does the plastic make sense and is dometic worth extra price? Most Ausie YT's promote engel & dometic.

m2c

Buy the biggest one you can afford
    Go for dual
    If you drive around most of the day, second battery is not necessary
    Take an extension lead and plug it in where possible
    A cigarette plug is for lighter or cellphone charger, not for a fridge/freezer.
    Buy a good cooler box with dry ice
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    As I mentioned earlier. I have been to ODW, but have found the sales team memorize the brochure.

I am looking for a +-65-80.5lt dual

one of my questions to sales team was. Is the dometics not better with them being plastic construction and general consumption. In my mind the "plastic"outer would be better.
    A: with heat and does not transfer as stainless would
    B: Would take minor bump better as it is more flexible and would not dent.

then salesman starts "yes but the NL" - blah blah not answering any questions. Like they only get commission selling NL products.

Does the dometic price tag justify it?
    Dometic dual cfx75 R13k (45/30 split)
    NL 72Dual R11k (38/33slpit) /SM 72 dual R9k takealot
    SM 82.5 dual R11k (40/42.5 split)

does the plastic make sense and is dometic worth extra price? Most Ausie YT's promote engel & dometic.
    I had exactly the sane thought about plastic. So, I am curious to know too. How thick is the stainless steel of an NL or SM? Can it take a poke of, say the camping chair leg, without dent?

Yes, I also felt that they brag too much about NL being the only brand that never comes back to shop for repair etc etc...
    Last edited by Teryos; 2019/11/19 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information. Looks like dual zone is the way to go...
    As suggested by some, I'll definitely have a look at Snomaster, which is sold by quite a lot of shops I see, likes of Makro, Takealot etc. Whereas NL by only few, Outdoor Warehouse and NL themselves, it seems.

Dual battery was on my radar until I got a quotation of around R8000 for dual battery setup! Does it really cost that much?
    Then you must visit Snomaster on Black Friday. You will get very good bargains. They are close to you.

Duel battery depends on your DIY skills. Battery box. wrnd dc/dc charger with solar input. Wiring with fuses. Battery. The costs mount up quickly. Min cost is R6000

Nope , you can definitely do it for a lot cheaper. You donít need solar in the beginning if you are going to drive a lot, then just a solenoid connected to the crank and thick cables to the house

I had exactly the sane thought about plastic. So, I am curious to know too. How thick is the stainless steel of an NL or SM? Can it take a poke of, say the camping chair leg, without dent?

Yes, I also felt that they brag too much about NL being the only brand that never comes back to shop for repair etc etc...

I am not intending a brand bashing or fight, just my experience regarding a brand being "forced" instead of making a good sale based on product vs requirement.

Stainless also transfers heat. as to where alu and poly/plastic would not.

Following this thread as im also in the market for a fridge/freezer comming black friday. This is in prep for a first trip to Botswana Sep 2020.

I dont have a canopy on my bakkie and not planning fitting one soon so the low profile SM's is looking like the thing for me. Due to saving space ill be going for the 65l range one's.

When not touring I want to use it on weekend fishing trips although 2 coolerboxes has worked well for this up to now. Im also thinking of using it as extra freezing space, like a mini deep freeze when not camping/touring. Living in a townhouse i do not have space for a full size deepfreeze.

Based on the requirements when not touring im leaning towards the single compartment, and speaking to people that have done quite a bit of overlanding, if you get the temp setting right you are golden

Just some more food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    As I mentioned earlier. I have been to ODW, but have found the sales team memorize the brochure. I am looking for a +-65-80.5lt dualone of my questions to sales team was. Is the dometics not better with them being plastic construction and general consumption. In my mind the "plastic"outer would be better. A: with heat and does not transfer as stainless wouldB: Would take minor bump better as it is more flexible and would not dent.then salesman starts "yes but the NL" - blah blah not answering any questions. Like they only get commission selling NL products.Does the dometic price tag justify it?Dometic dual cfx75 R13k (45/30 split)NL 72Dual R11k (38/33slpit) /SM 72 dual R9k takealotSM 82.5 dual R11k (40/42.5 split)does the plastic make sense and is dometic worth extra price? Most Ausie YT's promote engel & dometic.
    Re Snomaster - Check on Takealot for specials - it beats ALL other Snomaster prices I've seen.Snomaster fridges come with jackets, which keeps the temperature in very well.The insulation is inside, so the plastic versus steel/aluminum cover doesn't negate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtber View Post
    Re Snomaster - Check on Takealot for specials - it beats ALL other Snomaster prices I've seen.Snomaster fridges come with jackets, which keeps the temperature in very well.The insulation is inside, so the plastic versus steel/aluminum cover doesn't negate this.
    True, Takealot has some great deals on SM. Let's see what they do on Black Friday. Oh, by the way, OW is not doing any Black Friday, well, as per their salesperson, not sure if he wanted to sell the fridge to me immediately on the day of my visit!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast