XJ vs WJ vs D1

Thread: XJ vs WJ vs D1

Default XJ vs WJ vs D1

Okidoki - so I'm still doing homework after my previous post. I've looked at option E aka the Pajero (Gen 2/2.5) but the only thing that puts me off is 2nd row says 3 seats, but its well defined 2. And most Pajero's looked like they've been through the wars, and the owners still think they can ask an arm and a leg.

So going back to my previous homework (I'm not buying till end December beginning Jan). The one item I forgot to mention is that it will also be my daily driver, so it will be a 80% tar 20% dirt road/camping/playing scenario.

What I've found so far:
    XJ - It's a bit bigger than the 4Motion tiguan my wife drives, albeit in standard form bout same height. Boot size is aplenty, barring the sparewheel sits outside the cargo bay. Rear seat will seat a 7/5/3 year old although headrests seems to be optional extra. Issues for this car range from rust - footwells, roof rust, dodgy transmissions, overheating to items that go with a 20 year old vehicle. if anything would run a lift kit, get the spare on a swingarm, and get a roofrack. And def the petrol and Selec-Trac config

WJ - Wee bit bigger than the XJ but not a country mile. All the bells and whistles to drive 5 in comfort on long distance. And can load something for a few days but not the kitchen sink. Issues uhm yes, if it goes wrong it goes wrong like mos loveable electronic infused cars. And add the normal mechanicals that will drive you nuts. I'd add a roofrack, spare on swingarm and a 2"lift kit. And get the 4.0 Laredo with Selec-Trac, (or the 2.7) or nect option the 4.7 Laredo with Quadra drive

D1 - Ahhh its more a question of not if it breaks but when. I always had a nervous laugh driving mine, and getting to a destination felt like a win. This car shows presence, is extremely capable, have oodles of space (and 7 seat config), and a 4wd system that makes it capable of tackling a lot of obstacles. What can go wrong. Well, mine had a top fail after a previous owner did not skim the top correctly. and sunroof fail, roofliner sag, safety belt issue, and dodgy wheelbearings. And damn, it was thirsty for an Auto in daily traffic. I owned a FJ62 and it was less thirsty!! What I would do it? not much - maybe a lift, a roofrak, and a bumper? and save for spares? But told myself it might be good to do a mech course to cover basics

Parts not an issue if and when it breaks. I work for global company, so can either get it myself, or get it via friends and colleagues.

So its more a sense of if it breaks, would I need a PHD, or would a fair bit of elbow grease work? And which one will you take on a Tankwa trip, or somewhere in Nam?

Mmmmm more homework!!!!

Default Re: XJ vs WJ vs D1

Any of the 3 if they are sorted and in good nick.

But if it had to come to out and out reliability: an XJ. That engine is indeed bullet proof.

I've been searching for a TJ with a blown 4.0 for some time, and it just seems to not happen.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default XJ vs WJ vs D1

Step 1: Find an XJ
    Step 2: Buy the XJ
    Step 3: Empty your bank account on modification.
    Step 4: Enjoy

Last edited by Pokkie; 2019/11/06 at 12:56 PM.

This is a very interesting thread. I will be subscribing because I have been wondering the same thing. For me, a second toy type 4x4 is probably the only thing within my budget. I know of an XJ going for 25 and I know that a D1 v8 can be had for the same money if you're patient.
    I must admit that I was alway under the impression that XJ accessories were hard to get or expensive in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    This is a very interesting thread. I will be subscribing because I have been wondering the same thing. For me, a second toy type 4x4 is probably the only thing within my budget. I know of an XJ going for 25 and I know that a D1 v8 can be had for the same money if you're patient.
    I must admit that I was alway under the impression that XJ accessories were hard to get or expensive in SA.
    XJ for 25 The question should be what's wrong with it?
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    I missed that part. Probably a Diesel XJ

I have a 2001 XJ with 150000km ... parts have never been an issue.

I donít daily mine as itís 4.5inches high with 33ís ... 4km/l is fairly normal for me ... I have a friend with an XJ 4.0 ... did a hydrogen mod to it ... he is still testing ... but prelim results are good ... 10km/l

I love my XJ and wonít easily part with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Apparently nothing. New tyres. 4.0 straight 6. Auto. I just saw the advert. Didn't want to ask details because I hate wasting peoples time and I am unfortunately not able to buy now. It is red and possibly has sun faded paint from what I can see. I also saw no pics of the interior.
    I really think the price is because it's just so far from most places.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokkie View Post

hells bells thats pretty!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokkie View Post

Nice!!
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

I have run all 3, I try to forget the D1, it was pants. As a daily I would take a WJ every day over an XJ, it is just so more refined and better built, 4l I6 for reliability too. I have done ~300k miles with I6 engines between XJs and WJs and only ever had 2 failures, a CPS and a aux belt pulley, both in XJs.
    Cheers
    Steve Wright

2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Overland
    2017 Renegade Ltd, SWMABO's ride
    Planet-X London Road x2 & 2011 Cube Analog, powered by chips & beer
    Previous Jeeps- 8 XJs, 3 KJs, 3 WJs, 2 TJ's & an MJ

Quote Originally Posted by offroading-net View Post
    I have run all 3, I try to forget the D1, it was pants. As a daily I would take a WJ every day over an XJ, it is just so more refined and better built, 4l I6 for reliability too. I have done ~300k miles with I6 engines between XJs and WJs and only ever had 2 failures, a CPS and a aux belt pulley, both in XJs.
    the problem with the WJ:

- complex and expensive suspension system over here: control arms are a PITA and unless you cast poly bushes, expensive to replace
    - lift options are small due to the suspension system and geometry
    - lifts cause drivetrain issues
    - the V8 is a dog when it comes to reliability
    - the upmarket versions (Overland etc) are complex electronic animals
    - difficult to source bumpers and other off road kit

For a toy and just a standout vehicle with presence, you can't beat an XJ (OK maybe a lifted TJ..........) . Like the pic that Pokkie posted: I'd turn around to look at that. Not so much the WJ.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    the problem with the WJ:

- complex and expensive suspension system over here: control arms are a PITA and unless you cast poly bushes, expensive to replace
    - lift options are small due to the suspension system and geometry
    - lifts cause drivetrain issues
    - the V8 is a dog when it comes to reliability
    - the upmarket versions (Overland etc) are complex electronic animals
    - difficult to source bumpers and other off road kit

For a toy and just a standout vehicle with presence, you can't beat an XJ (OK maybe a lifted TJ..........) . Like the pic that Pokkie posted: I'd turn around to look at that. Not so much the WJ.
    I had the opposite experience. My xj wasnít running well. Had electrical problems and motor issues. Eventually sold it. Bought a wj. What an upgrade. Better driving position, more comfort, flexes more and a much better transfer case. Suspension is complicated but you can get lift kits. For bumpers I managed to use a jk steel bumper and got a company to modify it to fit. It came out really well. The V8 didnít give me any issues.
    I would try and source a low mileage well taken care of wj. With the first V8 not the HO

there is nothing very complex about the WJ suspension, they just use void bushes in the control arms, front end is the same style as an XJ, rear uses an A arm upper, again nothing complex there. A 2" lift will allow you to run 32"s, and variloks are standard on some models that are stupidly good offroad. However, the OP said 80% road, 20% trails, and that is where a WJ will beat an XJ. More space, more comfort, more toys, better built (Graz built jeeps are better than the US ones) and generally a more modern design.
    Cheers
    Steve Wright

2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Overland
    2017 Renegade Ltd, SWMABO's ride
    Planet-X London Road x2 & 2011 Cube Analog, powered by chips & beer
    Previous Jeeps- 8 XJs, 3 KJs, 3 WJs, 2 TJ's & an MJ

Had a look at the XJís and just too small for my needs (3kids and luggage). Already have a 4motion Tiguan that manages that :-). Pajero is ok, but somehow the Gen 2/2.5 made the 2nd row a 2seater Gen3 only comes in diesel, and bit apprehensive on that.

So at the moment is the WJ vs D2 - complicated IF it breaks vs easier WHEN it breaks...!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor V View Post
    Had a look at the XJ’s and just too small for my needs (3kids and luggage). Already have a 4motion Tiguan that manages that :-). Pajero is ok, but somehow the Gen 2/2.5 made the 2nd row a 2seater Gen3 only comes in diesel, and bit apprehensive on that.

So at the moment is the WJ vs D2 - complicated IF it breaks vs easier WHEN it breaks...!
    Gen 3 Pajero comes in a 3.8L V6 also. The 3.2 diesels are bulletproof though, I wouldn't be too concerned about buying one with FSH.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2019/11/17 at 12:54 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Gen 3 Pajero comes in a 3.8L V6 also. The 3.2 diesels are bulletproof though, I wouldn't be too concerned about buying one with FSH.
    Just to add : ( and this is an early Gen4 Pajero)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 V6 Gls A/t
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-West/5127721/

CATS
    Ps - dont know this vehicle at all, neither do I know the budget you are shopping.
    Last edited by Cats; 2019/11/17 at 03:10 PM.
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Why donít you get this? Has all the mods you need. Amazing transfer case. Enough space

https://www.olx.co.za/item/for-sale-...iid-1060454181