Using the "black box" from the Luna BB to mount in engine compartment

Default Using the "black box" from the Luna BB to mount in engine compartment

Hi,

So as the 2016 Fortuner's are unable to house a 100Ah battery under the bonnet I decided to opt for the separate battery box (BB) in the boot. Now this has some real obvious disadvantages;

- The space taken and there is no obvious nice nook to stash the battery box away.
    - Secondly I had a dual requirement, I need to feed the tow bar for the caravan fridge as well as the boot for my fridge. So I have the cable feed from the cranking battery into the boot terminating at a BH mounted on the side panel. Then a the fly lead from this to the the battery box. Then I have another BH mounted on the side panel that lead to the tow bar, this too requires a fly lead. All very messy.

So I really have little to no desire to buy another solenoid system and was wondering if one could gut the existing battery box and fit up front, or indeed if anyone had mounted the existing "black box" attached to the battery box in the engine compartment?

Also I have realised that I actually do not need a 100Ah up front, I need enough battery to keep two fridges going for a 2 hour stop. So I am hoping to find a smaller battery that is of reduced height, anyone fitted one of these and if so what model.

Default Re: Using the "black box" from the Luna BB to mount in engine compartment

Have a friend that does the following . Aux battery is 70ah, fitted under the bonnet. Feed to fridge in back of his fortuner and to a trailer plug for the caravan. Will ask him to take a photo of the battery mounting

Default Re: Using the "black box" from the Luna BB to mount in engine compartment

Fitment