Recovery and spares kit

Post Recovery and spares kit

Hi Guys, I’m fairly new to the over-landing and 4x4 touring scene. Ive been doing this for many years with family but fairly new in terms of owning my own 4x4 and touring with the SWAMBO and mini SWAMBO’s.

I would like to know what you guys pack in your spares/tool box when you do a over-landing trip? Excluding the obvious camping essentials like a spade, hammer, axe, duct tape, cable ties, fuses etc.

Pictures are great!

Your inputs are appreciated.

Default Re: Recovery and spares kit

Rob, I think that for accurate advice you need to tell us what vehicle you drive and how far off the beaten track you intend to venture. Also some detail on what modifications and additions you already have on the vehicle.

I can already tell you that often less is better and overloading is the most common overlanding mistake.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2019/11/16 at 09:30 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

First thing you should do is spend money on a good 4x4 driving course and a good set of tyres.
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

Fair enough. Thanks for the responses Stan Weakley & 2.8i rocks.

As my kids are quite young (2yrs and younger) we haven’t done serious over-landing yet. However with that said we love going on the roads less traveled and visiting remote areas and “wilderness camping”. We’ve done Tankwa Karoo with our off road trailer and stayed at a wilderness camp site for a few nights and loved it. We’ve done Kgalagadi both the SA and Bots side a couple times before the kids and definitely want to do more of this kind of camping.

We are planing to do a longish trip next year ,depending on how the kids behave, to do the Namaqua 4x4 eco route and along the way make a few stops at various SANParks reserves such as Tankwa and Augrabies along the way.

I currently have the following:
    FORD Ranger 2.2 XL Auto 4x4 d/c
    Camp Master Wilderness 310 trailer

As I suppose we all do. I a, constantly upgrading and adding/removing items from my emergency recovery and spares kit. What I’m really looking for from this thread is for people giving their inputs as to what bits of kit they pack that have been useful.

Everybody has there own must haves but I'd say these are the basics.
    Tires are your best friend, people spend thousands on mods and try save on tires!!!!
    Other than that I'd get
    1) good recovery points fitted properly
    2) under body protection
    3) kinetic rope (pofadder) 13 ton
    4) arrestor straps x 2
    5) D shackles x 6 min 3.25t, 4.75t better
    6) kinetic strap 9m, you want the guy helping you to be on better ground than you if possible so I carry both rope and strap just in case.
    7) Hi-lift jack (original)
    8) indeflate
    8) good quality compressor
    9) jumper leads
    10) tire repair kit
    11) tool kit and spares are car dependent.
    12) good first aid kit, you got to know how to use what's in there so keep it to you're skill level.
    13) duel battery system
    If you are traveling alone and not in convoy then a winch is a good option, no use having all the kit and nobody or nothing to pull you out! I've hardly ever used my winch but when I've needed it I've been seriously happy to have it.
    Overloading is a major factor so pack as lightly as you can and correct packing and weight distribution vital.
    Most important of all is to avoid getting stuck as far as possible. Sounds stupid but if you know how to use tire pressures in different terrain it'll go a long way to making the rest redundant. Reading the terrain is just as important and knowing your vehicle i.e approach, departure angles, wading depths etc and a million other small things.
    The best thing to do is to go out there and do it, we all mostly learned through mistakes and getting to know our vehicles and there capabilities as well as our own.
    Have fun and enjoy.
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

Don't try get everything in one go, it's expensive stuff. Go to the strap supply/manufacture shops, the straps are better quality and much, much cheaper. Buy the best quality and the right strength. Rather get a few good quality straps, than lots of cheap and nasty.

Rated shackles are almost the same price, as cheap and nasty stuff, shop around. Get the right stiff the first time.

I bought a genuine never used hi-lift jack for R350 in a canvas bag, at a second-hand shop a few weeks ago. Shop around.

Spares for the vehicle, rather look after and service the vehicle. Spares stick with the basics, don't go overboard.

Remember its no good having:-

A hi-lift jack without the right bumper and towbar to use it on.

and

Straps are no good without recovery points.

A tyre repair kit is no good without a simple compressor.

So chose wisely. Get rated good quality equipment. And look after the stuff. A wet strap stuffed into a bag, will be useless in a day or two.

Rather spend the money how not to get stuck. go do a 4x4 course.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/11/19 at 11:35 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Thanks for the comments guys.

Lots of good advice so far.

I dislike Kinetic straps/ropes. So only carry 1.

I have a few winch extension straps 9T and 14T, 10m and 20m. I often travel solo so the extra length helps a lot as we also have a winch.

I have a trunk protector and a 9T 5m tow strap that I use with a snatch block if I need to, sometimes the tree is too far off the track and the angle is all wrong. Moving the snatch block by 5m makes a big difference then.

I also have a winch blanket and have recently started converting all my bow shackles to soft shackles. Saves weight, safer and doesn't rattle as much.

I removed my hilift jack and replaced with a bottle jack.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.