Giriyondo vs Lebombo Border Crossings

Default Giriyondo vs Lebombo Border Crossings

Having never entered Mozambique through the Lebombo Border Crossing at one of the busiest times of the year seeking recommendations please for travel on 17 December 2019 (headed to Inhambane). I have a Hilux 4x4.

1. Stay over night before in Letaba and enter via Giriyondo Border Crossing
    2. Stay over Komatipoort area and brave the Lebombo Border post early morning

I certainly favour the first option depending on weather and current road condition and guess it's deciding corrugations vs border wait crossing times?

Does the sand road from Giriyondo Border Crossing change to tar at Massingir Dam?

Thanks

Default Re: Giriyondo vs Lebombo Border Crossings

Using Giriyondo as a transit route is really not worth it in my opinion. Besides the compulsory overnight stay and the costs thereof in Kruger, the entrance fees on the Mozambican side just to drive through are exorbitant. In July this year we paid R525 for two people (R150 pp and R225 for the vehicle). The road on the Moz side to Massingir has seen zero maintenance probably since the first time I used it ten years ago. Then you still have to deal with potholed tar for the rest of the way. If you want to avoid Komatipoort then going through eSwatini is by far the better option. In at Bulembu and out at Namaacha is my favourite route. Or if you want to avoid gravel, go into eSwatini at Jeppe's Reef.

Giriyondo to Inhambane via Massingir sucks.

Take OffTheHamsterWheel's advice. Early at Lebombo or go via Namaacha. But Namaacha is small and they could get congested.

Use Komati and just make sure you are there before sunrise. We did that last time, very easy, don't use a runner.

DriveMoz has all the info you need.

I've used all 3 by the way. Enjoy Barra, it's a blast but if you haven't been there before: EARLY to the beach, back for an early lunch (11h00), a siesta, and then back to the beach after 3. The sun will seriously hurt you at midday and there is NOTHING as crappy as 3rd degree sunburn after 1 day at the sea........

Oh yes: there are 2 bypass routes for Maputo.......

Moamba / Xinavane or the Ring Road. Personally I turn left at Moamba and drive the sugar cane truck road. The traffic cops know where you exit the EN4 and re-enter the EN1 so they wait there.

Another thing: REGARDLESS of missing street signs, ALL VILLAGES are 60km/h limits. You have been warned.

This is what I love about this forum - great user experience advise! Thanks everyone....going with your advice and will watch the sun come up at Lebombo Crossing!

To be honest, we don't mind the Giriyondo border post...

Leave Pretoria early, Phalaborwa into KNP, Giriyondo, stay over at Covane community lodge, lovely people that run the place, hit Massingir road early next morning.

We make it the kick off to our holiday

I share HKing's view. We returned this past Friday from Inhambahe via EN1, ringroad and Komatipoort. We left Guinjata at 8h00, spend +/- 30 mins to inflate tyres and was at the border around 17h00. Only stopped for fuel and here-and-there for a pitstop. This route has just too many 60 zones and we were stopped on a few occasions and had to talk our way out of fines. Managed that by insisting to go to a police station "to pay there" because these guys showed us speeds on their cameras which was just certainly not our own readings.
    On a previous occasion we came from Morrumbene (slightly further North, past Maxixe). We left Morrumbene about 7 and was in time (before 15h00) at the Giryondo border post. We left the EN1 just after Xai-Xai (I think) and took a gravel (or rather red sand road). Even though some sections of the tar road closer to Missinger were very potholed and the dirt road thereafter was fairly bad I will rather take this route again next time. Much more relaxed.