Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My 98 Patrol 4500 GL - Cleanup Pics, Etc Etc

Ai tog yes I know - ANOTHER "Look at my New Car" Thread.

Anyway, here goes, hope this does'nt get too boring, if it does, you know what to do

Saw this Trol in an Ad on Wednesday, spoke to the Seller, he had quite a number of calls, and yes, I've learned......if you want it, go get it, no-one is gonna wait for you while you stare at the PC screen.

Having sold that Puma (that I so raved about, maar helaas toe weer NIE my kar nie!!!), I urgently want something to use in 3 weeks' time to our annual Roof Of Africa Trip, Weekends towing the boat, And sommer just a nice 4x4 to use. But my primary things are the Roof trip, and my wife and I also plan a little 5/6 day road trip down to Plett around mid December.

Ek het 'n Tuna hier en 'n Hilux daar, maar ja.........het dringend so iets anders nodig.

And I love the Patrol, having owned a couple myself. My dream Trol was and is a 4800 GL, but nou ja, you just dont get them, and if you do, not even nearly in this condition.

So.........my "specs" were exeactly what I want : Manual, Cloth Seats, No Sunroof, Low Mileage, as Few Previous Owners as possible, and then of course Steel Wheels with 16" Tyres. Oh, as few extras as possible, part of my intended enjoyment is originality, so I wanted this.

This Car ticks all those boxes, and more..........its JUST the colour. But yes, you need to take what you get, if you see what it actually IS that you get.

Anyway.

Arrived in Brits yesterday afternoon, a BEAUTIFUL drive around Hartebeespoort Dam etc etc , I think I got lots but didnt really mind, a VERY nice drive. Remembered the Cock and Bull where we kuiered last year.

Seller was as open as can be, all papers, FSH, etc etc all there, all faults revealed, I could very clearly see he doesnt mind whether I say yay or nay, there are others waiting for the short Vrystater to make up his mind.

Car is fully serviced, 1 Owner, difflock never used, and I doubt if Seller actually knows how those Auto Hubs work. Happy Days.

Went to FNB in Brits, and did the Transvaal Ding.

Got in the Trol again, lit up a Camel, and the Seller almost gave birth to triplets right there. In retrospect, that must have been a bit hard on his system, but he looked OK, we shook hands, on off I go - long road back to the States, through Malibongwe Drive and Gillooly's and what have you.

I took the Trol, with my driver Mosia's eyes as big as poedingborde, he cant believe I'm not taking the Audi and let him follow with the GL.

Nice Drive.

1) Smoooooth as hell. Talking about that engine. You dont hear it at all, its really unnerving, feels like an electric damn car. At idle you just dont know - well - its idling. VERY VERY refined engine.
    2) Car is dead quiet inside, this was a huge surprise to me. You only hear the tyres, and some wind noise. Engine is so quiet it feels as if you're freeing home.
    3) Gearbox is positive like a Jap box is, nice throws, not too long or too short.
    4) VERY VERY good low down torque, like in deep down, like in where you will need it on a trail or rocks etc etc. Just that teenie weenie little bit extra, deep deep down.
    5) Power is adequate, I managed 110/120 basically all the way. RPM sits at around 2700 or so at 120. This one also pulls WAY better than the older 4500 I had, like in WAY better (Ian, I think you'll agree here??)
    6) Condition exterior is excellent, bar a resprayed left front panel, where the Seller's wife scratched it a while back. Not the best repair job, but easily sortable.
    7) Interior is like ridiculously clean, like in a new car. Not a single mark anywhere, not even in the load bay. Amazing how some people look after a car.
    8) I paid strong enough for it - R 95 000. But yes, what the hell else do you get for that kind of money and in this condition.
    9) Mileage is 199 000, fully documented service history at agents, and some at Maus, hence the sticker on the back. I almost passed out when I saw that sticker, thinking this is some conversion, but its not, they just serviced it.
    10) Original Tool Kit, jack, wheelspanner, original touch up paint in its box.............

The Trip - Brits to Home

1) Small little missfire thingie, definitely something VERY small. Either plug(s), MAF, or fuel pump. I'll get all 3 done anyway.
    2) Difflock light goes on intermittently for a split second, maybe did this 6 times or so in 400 km. I'm sure this is also just something small.
    3) Rattle at the back over potholes. Its not the jump seats, I removed them already this morning. Maybe the spare, maybe rear shocks?? I'll put in new shocks anyway, I always look for some reason to do it, it just make a car drive SO much nicer.

Thats about it..........I'm really trying to think hard what else, but cant think of anything else right now.

Anyway, without much further ado, herewith some pics for your perusal (right word?? Hope so)

Got it cleaned up a bit today, and sommer took it for a photo shoot at the MOTH Club, just up the street.

Thanks for your time and THANKS for sharing my passion and excitement on this 21 Year old Patrol!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Default Re: My 98 Patrol 4500 GL - Cleanup Pics, Etc Etc

Random stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120562.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	547734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120564.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	547735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120567.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	547736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120565.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	547737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120568.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	547738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120570.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	547739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120572.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	547740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120573.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	547741  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120575.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	547742  

Interior......

Name:	P1120579.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	547743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120577.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	547744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120580.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	547745  

Four king lekker
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    Sold
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

I love the "solid" colour scheme, meaning its not 2 tone like the GRX (personal taste).

Black bits still excellent, just need to sort those little klippie marks on the rear plastic fenders

Name:	P1120581.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	547746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120582.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	547747  

More detailed interior pics here................Post 31.............https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-vs-4800/page2

Shoo, that really is very neat!

the rattle at the back - is it not the rear doors?
    A tip I was told - wrap some insulation tape around the latches that the doors fasten onto, to kind of fatten them up a bit. Gets rid of the rattle, but you do need to replace the tape every couple months as it wears away.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Oh yes, forgot to add........this car has AMAZINGLY good lights. Especially the bright beam. I enjoyed that on that Tweeling/Reitz road full of beeste, skape, honde and karre langs die pad at night - those who know that stretch of road, will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Shoo, that really is very neat!

the rattle at the back - is it not the rear doors?
    A tip I was told - wrap some insulation tape around the latches that the doors fasten onto, to kind of fatten them up a bit. Gets rid of the rattle, but you do need to replace the tape every couple months as it wears away.
    Graham yes, I'll take off that spare and see what's what. If I hit the back doors with my hand, it sounds like the smaller door.......dunno. But small stuff, will have a peep later.

Want to have the shocks also tested, actually looking for a reason to put new shocks, it just makes a car SO much nicer to drive.

And my pal Klannie at the propshaft place must look over EVERYTHING underneath on Monday, all joints/bushes/etc etc. But I dont think there's much wrong there. But ja, its 21 years old, one must keep that in mind.

I think I should also just have all hoses etc etc checked, it's such a small thing to do and replace if necessary, and you have this lekker peace of mind travelling then.

Got LOTS of plans here, but I first want to look for any potential issues .

Baie geluk Petri met jou 4.5 Lorrie, mag jul sorgvrye en veilige kilometers ry.

Shalom
    Julius Truter
    Walk by FAITH not by sight
    2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
    Snomaster 60L
    Overlander Trailer

Jules........waar het jy destyds daai groen SGL gekoop?? Ek het laaaank terug so een verkoop aan Klient in R/Baai.........??

For the pipes, get a full set from terrain tamer.
    I still need to get a new set for mine, just keep putting it off though.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    For the pipes, get a full set from terrain tamer.
    I still need to get a new set for mine, just keep putting it off though.
    Graham, pipes?? Exhaust??

Guys, if I engage 4H or 4L with just those auto hubs (meaning I havent locked them with a spanner).......it makes a feint "click click" sound when I move forward at idle.

Is that normal??

BTW - just HATE those damn auto hubs akkas, I started hating them since the Cruisers came out with them.

Then, can I lock the hubs and drive it like that (in 2H) for a couple days, will it be "good" to do, maybe just get some parts moving??

I have a suspicion this car has only been in 4L for the 1st time today..........die arme ding moes hom DOOD geskrik het

THANKS, have a GREAT weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No,no,no! That mean the car is totally stuffed! You have to return it to Pretoria immediately. I will take it off your hands for what you payed for it minus the repair on the front axle!
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    No,no,no! That mean the car is totally stuffed! You have to return it to Pretoria immediately. I will take it off your hands for what you payed for it minus the repair on the front axle!
    Ja Ja Ja.

Beautiful vehicle.

Give me on of these over any SUV that came out in the last 10 years.

When are you selling it, I think I should extend my fleet a bit
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Beautiful vehicle.

Give me on of these over any SUV that came out in the last 10 years.
    I wont say they're "better" or definitely not more capable than newer 4x4's, tash.......but yes, they do have a different feel in 4x4 work. Sort of the Driver is MUCH more involved, some of the new cars really are only point and go.

My most memorable 4x4 outings were with Land Cruiser 60/62's, 75 Series, and a 110 V8 . Oh, and a Hilux SFA.

This baby is almost too "easy" or "fancy" already, to be honest.

But nice, its a great allrounder, a nice clean original weekend car and for occasional Lesotho trips, long weekend camping in remote spots, etc etc etc.

And yes, the Price was more than right. Not much out there in what I needed for R 95000., and most importantly I'm really enjoying the Car so far, in what my intended use is for it.

Lots to do on this baby.......:

1) Check shocks/bushes, basically everything underneath..............................DONE!!

2) Roofrack would be nice. Black, low profile........................................... ......Sort of Priority, Lesotho trip coming up, but nothing after that.

3) Seat covers, maybe also other canvas sakkies en goedjies..........................As Above.

4) Clean up all little chips/marks etc etc............................................... ........As Above. Its almost December.

5) Rubber or similar mat at rear load area, for Dog and to mess in...................PRORITY

6) Powdercoat all those sexy steelies back to new again..................................PRIORITY

7) Tyres, a higher profile, not wider, maybe even narrower if possible................Current tyres will do for now, but definitely later, as in next month

8) Chuck the CD shuttle thingie , new radio and speakers.................................ASAP

9) Maybe a drawer system............................................ ................................Later. But then where does that spoilt dog sits??

10) Rattle at the back.............................................. ....................................DONE!!

11) Very slight missfire, replace plugs, clean MAF, new Bosch fuel pump.............DONE!!

12) RWC, Registration...................................... ..............................................PRIO RITY.

13) Dual Battery System............................................ .....................................Later, first that Lesotho Trip.

14) Check Radiator and ALL hoses, clamps etc etc, Sommer Net in case................PRIORITY

15) Just go and do trips with this Beauty............................................ ................PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2019/11/20 at 09:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast