Advice Needed for Caprivi Trip

Default Advice Needed for Caprivi Trip

Hi all

We are planning a trip in August 2020 through the Caprivi strip, and would greatly appreciate any inputs/alternatives on our suggested itinerary.

I have never traveled this area, so I have no idea if the camps selected are any good, the distances/travel time between them are too great, or if it would mean water crossings - something we would prefer to avoid. We will be 3 vehicles, all with long range tanks. We prefer rustic, private camp sites, and don't mind paying for the peace and quite, if needed.

Itinerary:

Day 1 & Day 2 - Travel from Jhb > Tsumkwe - Route TBC
    Day 3 - Tsumkwe Camp site
    Day 4 - Sikereti Camp site
    Day 5 - Khaudum Camp site
    Day 6 & 7 - Ngepi camp site
    Day 8 - Camp Kwando or Mavunje ?
    Day 9 - Natakwa camp
    Day 10 - Livingstone camp
    Day 11 & Day 12 - Muchenje Camp or Chobe river Camp ?
    Day 13 & Day 14 - travel back to Jhb - Route TBC

I am also not sure if the days allocated per site are the best, i.e. should i rather spend less time at Ngepi and more and either Kwando / Mavunje? Also, more time at either Natakwa/Livingstone and less at Muchenge / Chobe river camp?

Any assistance would be appreciated, and alternative suggestions are also welcome

Regards,
    Liaan

Default Re: Advice Needed for Caprivi Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Liaank View Post
    Hi all

We are planning a trip in August 2020 through the Caprivi strip, and would greatly appreciate any inputs/alternatives on our suggested itinerary.

Liaan
    Distances seems fine.

Personally I would cut out some camps, and stay longer other camps and explore the area over 3 days for example, but depends what is you object.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Sikereti might be closed , upgrading started next year , was told that when I was there in September .
    Khaudum camp @ R750.oo for camping ?
    Check out Mazambala Lodge campsite , very nice and there is boat trips available which include a game drive .
    Breakfast on the house if you book the boat/ game drive .
    Definitely a better camp to spend time than Ngepi .
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

Go via Ghanzi, then to Drotskys Caves for second night and do caves early next morning. Easy 2,5 hour from Drotsky Caves to Tshumkwe via Dobe border.
    '89 LR 110 V8

With the water levels so low this year Chobe Rive Camp is unfortunately not that great. Our favorite camp in Caprivi was Mubala Lodge

A brilliant trip is to spend time with dan Stephens at mashi River safaris on the kwando River - he has his own boat, rustic campsite and takes up and down the river

From Ghanzi via Nokaneng and Dobe border post should take you about 7 hours to Tsumkwe if not towing trailer.There is a fuel station there.
    From there to Sikereti is 57 km on good dirt road. You can still camp at Sikereti but it is in a state of decay ...no water , toilets etc Khaudum camp is about 100km away with heavy sand in places, esp in the north. This has good campsites...each site has its own ablutions , hot showers, flush toilets etc BUT it is going to cost you big time.R330 pp and R110 per vehicle per day. The road from Khaudum camp to the tar at Katere is 57 km which will take 3 hours .l definately would not tow a trailer on this road...heavy sand and indentations from vehicles getting stuck..BAD.
    Hope this helps with your planning.

thanks everyone for the inputs so far..

Thinking of doing 11 day Caprivi National Parks trip with Bhejane in Sept. Trip ends in Nkasa Rupura National Park in "heel" of Caprivi. Best route back To Cape Town from there? We need cabin/chalet accomm and will probably be travelling on our own... suggestions and comments appreciated

My comments:

Day 1 & Day 2 - Travel from Jhb > Tsumkwe - Route TBC:

This could be two long days including 4x border posts. I'd also advise, as recommended stay at Drotsky's (you should spend a day here ), but then skip Tsumkwe and go straight to Sikereti (about 45min drive ). As mentioned Sikereti might be closed (confirm beforehand, in that case camp in Tsumkwe and skip Sikereti). You need to be 10000% self sufficient for Sikereti... Tsumkwe fuel has improved a lot, but I'd recommend enough from your last fuel in Bots right up to Divundu just in case. The 44km from Khaudum to the tar road is really thick sand. I got 3.5km/l on that stretch two weeks ago in my Cruiser... ave 5km/l for the 2500km round trip.

Day 3 - Tsumkwe Camp site:

Some really nice places south of Tsumkwe. By August you'll have no mud/water issues.

Day 4 - Sikereti Camp site:

Currently in a really bad state.... take everything along - wood/water/loo/toilet seat, everything.

Day 5 - Khaudum Camp site:

Extremely expensive (by my standards). We skipped this completely. Enough places around the park under trees....just saying.

Day 6 & 7 - Ngepi camp site:

Nice place. We did Rainbow this time 'round. Big camp sites with lots of shade, grass (and power if needed). Most really nice. Make time to visit Mahangu Park - take a whole day

For the rest I have no current knowledge
    Last edited by Dead Buff; 2020/01/16 at 02:33 PM.
    '11 Toyota LC 79 4.0 V6 Meano D/C - current
    '12 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 - 2015
    '06 Defender 130 TD5 - K.I.A.
    V51R