Prado Navigation (useless)

Default Prado Navigation (useless)

I'm becoming VERY disillusioned with my newly acquired Prado, the navigation system is all but useless and the cruise control is a huge irritation, the 4 litre engine cannot make up its mind what gear it wants to be in. My 5.7 Jeep uses slightly more fuel but will ride rings around this Pradotjie, when you jab the go pedal the jeep jumps forward and hardly ever changes back to 4th, the Prado just smells an incline and it's into 4th and often even 3rd and the engine sounds like it wants to climb out of the bonnet. After 2 months of ownership I'm seriously considering selling it and buying another Jeep or a diesel Toureg
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2019/11/14 at 03:44 PM.
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

Default Re: Prado Navigation (useless)

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
    I'm becoming VERY disillusioned with my newly acquired Prado, the navigation system is all but useless and the cruise control is a huge irritation, the 4 litre engine can of make up its mind gear it wants to be in. My 5.7 Jeep uses slightly more fuel but will ride rings around this Pradotjie. After 2 months of ownership I'm seriously considering selling it
    Yes agree, both of that is not the best, but for the rest keep it. Dont use that speed control other than on a flat stretch. Use a Garmin if you need navigation system. But that said i used it from time to time, but set your destination before to start driving.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Yes agree, both of that is not the best, but for the rest keep it. Dont use that speed control other than on a flat stretch. Use a Garmin if you need navigation system. But that said i used it from time to time, but set your destination before to start driving.
    Can one get a micro SD map card to improve the navigation system
    When faced with the dilemma of being right or being happy , I choose happy every time

and the cruise control is a huge irritation, the 4 litre engine cannot make up its mind what gear it wants to be in.
    ....the Prado just smells an incline and it's into 4th and often even 3rd and the engine sounds like it wants to climb out of the bonnet. ..
    That is a petrol Prado for you. And the reason we sold a very nice vehicle 8 months after buying it. Wait until you tow

As for not using the cruise control except on flat stretches, yeah tried that. A dip or bump in the road surface or a shift in wind direction will make it drop down to 4th. It gets absolutely exhausting fighting the cruise control and eventually giving up during a long stint on the road. The Fortuner is much more uncomfortable than the Prado, but you set cruise control and it rarely, like in rarely, gears down.

Navigation, use GPS or Google maps on your phone. The crappy navigation is a known issue and has been bemoaned on the forum before.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Can one get a micro SD map card to improve the navigation system
    Not sure, I think it will only update the maps.

For towing its better to lock it in fourth, then the speed control works better.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/11/14 at 03:55 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Not sure, I think it will only update the maps.

For towing its better to lock it in fourth, then the speed control works better.
    Its a DVD and its costs R12k upwards

This is exactly why an on board navigation system did not even feature on my requirements list during my latest shopping spree. The manufacturer fitted ones are rubbish.

I now have a R139 mount with my smart phone running Google Maps or Waze. Added bonus? Real time traffic updates with re-routes when there are accidents etc.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Its a DVD and its costs R12k upwards
    Any idea what the micro SD map card port is for on the right of the entertainment screen is for?
    Swambo is giving me carrots for spending a goodly sum on the Prado, she reckons the Hemi is way better

Not sure how you can expect a 4.0 Prado to drive like a 5.7 Hemi GC? Surely you should have thought about a LC 200?

Swambo is giving me carrots for spending a goodly sum on the Prado, she reckons the Hemi is way better
    and so she should

Any idea what the micro SD map card port is for on the right of the entertainment screen is for?
    Music??

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Music??
    I see there is a memory card with a Toyota logo installed. Could possibly download better software to improve matters

What Prado is it?

I assume 150. Which nav system?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I assume 150. Which nav system?
    2015 150 VX 4 litre. I was in Mossel Bay today looking for 22 Industry Road. I entered the address into the phone and the Toyota nav system. Went with the phones instructions and found the place without a hitch. Just as an exercise I followed the prompts on the Toyota system, it took me to 5th street in Wilderness more than 50km away, what a joke
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2019/11/15 at 06:50 AM.

The on board navigation is a POS!
    It is an interesting quirk on the 4.0
    On the diesel you have to hit a real big incline for it to gear down.
    Toyota RAV4
    Chevrolet Utility

I have no problems with the cruise control on my diesel Prado even going through the Old Joe's road in Mpumalanga and for navigation i have a Garmin.

If you are unhappy with the Prado then sell it life is too short to be unhappy with a vehicle.

Cheers

2015 150 VX 4 litre.
    According to Toyota, there was the TNS410, the TNS510, the Touch 2 with Go Plus, the Touch 2 with Go, and the Touch Pro.

The TNS versions are TomTom based, update from TomTom.
    The others are downloads from Toyota.

either system uses a USB stick or SD Card

Cant you have a fundi change the shift parameters? Its possible on many vehicles. SENNIN from the Hummer Club did mine recently and what a difference, less 3rd and 4th hunting
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Cant you have a fundi change the shift parameters? Its possible on many vehicles. SENNIN from the Hummer Club did mine recently and what a difference, less 3rd and 4th hunting
    I would imagine this is possible, yesterday I rode from Mossel Bay to George, the climb up to Glentana is reasonably steep and the vehicle performed quite acceptably without using the cruise control. Next trick is to find a fundi
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2019/11/15 at 06:55 AM.