Why shouldn’t I buy a Ford

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Why shouldn’t I buy a Ford

Hi All

Come January I’m due to get another vehicle. How ever I find my self in a position where Toyota 4x4 double cabs or Fortuners are just too expensive. I’ve always been a die hard Toyota fan. I Have tried out an Isuzu of which I explained my problems with them in a post last year, I swore I’d never buy another one. And the 250dteq really does not have the low down grunt for off road use.

So I’ve found myself in the position of looking at Fords. Then I test drive a 2.2 Everest this am. Wow I was impressed. Still need to take a double cab for a test aswell however I did take one through Mabua a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

The vehicle needs to be less than a year and less the 20000km old. And it must be 4x4. A double cab is easy to come by but the 2.2 Ford Everest, not so much.Is that because no one wants to sell them?

I’ve always been part of the Toyota owner club who bash Fords. And live in a district where it’s the norm to give the Ford owners gears. But the price tag, ride comfort and the simple fact that you can find them for sale make it hard to ignore.

But I see double cab sales have dropped drastically for the Ford. Why is that?

Why shouldn’t I and why should I buy a Ford?
    2003 hilux 3.0Kzte double cab(sold)
    2008 3.0 D4D double cab 4x4(sold)
    2010 Suzuki jimny(sold)
    2014 Isuzu KB250dteq double cab 4x4(Snorky8)) Tough Dog suspension, RSI canopy, Opposite lock Bull Bar and rear bumper, Safari Snorkel

Default Re: Why shouldn’t I buy a Ford

How much and what type of offroading do you plan to do? The Everest big wheels and fairly low running boards could prove an issue. I currently drive a Prado but am probably the least brand loyal person I know. My suggestion would be to determine use first, then decide SUV or DC. Then decide brand/model.
    Always take the slow road.

Dunno where Creighton is but my first consideration these days for new vehicles is the proximity of the nearest dealer...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    Judging by the issues some members on this forum have had with their vehicles and Ford after sales even with a warranty I woudn't touch any Ford product. There are probably a whole lot of people out there with issues. I don't come from a background of being loyal to certain brands, before I bought my Hilux I did a lot of research on the Ranger. Eventually it came down to the either the KB250 or Hilux, for reliability first and foremost. If I had to do it again it would come down to those two brands again.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Dunno where Creighton is but my first consideration these days for new vehicles is the proximity of the nearest dealer...........
    And the availability of spares and the cost of ownership and the resale value and and .. that's why I don't drive a Jeep.
    Last edited by Makaira; 2019/11/14 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    And the availability of spares and the cost of ownership and the resale value and and .. that's why I don't drive a Jeep.
    yep

Toyota has a dealer in every dorp.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    But the price tag, ride comfort and the simple fact that you can find them for sale make it hard to ignore.
    But I see double cab sales have dropped drastically for the Ford. Why is that?
    Ask yourself the question, why so many young Rangers available at reasonable prices when it is almost impossible to find a Hilux/Isuzu/Mitshu with the same amount of milage/age? I am not including price range as this differs to brands.
    From my perspective, people are happier with the quality of Toy/Isuzu etc and are more resistant to let it go at a young stage, unlike Fords. it seems to me as if people are buying Fords to own it within it's warranty/service period and then let it go a year or 6 months just before it ends. Not so much with Hiluxes/Isuzu's etc. Also, i think with the introduction of the new 2L variants, the public is currently waiting to see what the reliability etc is on an already flooded market.

My personal experiences
    I have owned 3 different double cabs over the last 12 years (2 Mitshu's and 1 Ford). I have never had any issues with the Mitshu's but endless issues with the Ranger.
    Clutch on 147 km
    Door seal rubbers 50k km
    Busted rear shock 47k km

Current unresolved issues since June 2019:
    Electrical issue in the center console where the aircon/blower automatically switches on even when you switch it off. The vehicle have been at the dealer on 3 different occasions and all they do is "put it on the computer , don't see any error codes" so there is no issue, but sir, we did update the software. For the 3 times they updated the software it failed twice, was never picked up and never corrected) Question around their "Quality Check Procedures" comes to mind)... I have taken 4 video's which I have sent to Ford with dates etc and apparently they have opened a technical fault. But do you think it is possible to get any feedback from them via telephone, email or walking into the Service Dept? All you get is "We are waiting on Ford SA".

Heavy smoke in winter , injectors are testing within parameters - unresolved
    Load bin is out of alignment by ±2cm on the left hand side making the bin hitting the cab. Ford will have to send this to a panel beater to resolve but need to get approval from Ford SA. Unresolved issue
    Yes, the car is still under warranty and have not been abused.

My point is, I will not recommend buying a Ford. The service is non existent unless you have to pay, the build quality is far worse than my previous 2009 Triton. The Warranties they give with the cars are not worth the paper it is written on and it is a head-ache to try and get them to 1, do something or 2 respond to you as customer.

I will be letting mine go as soon as possible.

My 2c
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Go read on the Ford Problems section, the frequency of engine and transmission failures would put me off. Maybe also try a Pajero Sport?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

I keep full record of all running expenses on my vehicles. The attached file will show a comparison of these between the 2012 T6 2.2 Supercab (4x2) and replaced with the current 2015 T6 XL Plus Double Cab (4x4). Both from new. The supercab was replaced after just over 3 years and 212k km. The XL Plus is now standing on 202k km after just over 4 years.

The XL Plus did give me some problems where it would intermittently die when I come to a stop. Fortunately that was eventually sorted. The way it now drives feel as if I could easily do another 200k without issues. I have taken out an extended warrantee up to 200k km. This was only used for a tensioner pulley or something. I cannot remember. One thing that I do agree with is that it is not easy to deal with Ford SA. It does help if you have the right dealer on your side.

You are welcome to go and watch my YouTube channel (Danie Kotze) to see where and what I travel with both my Rangers.

I can just comment that the you will experience a totally different (better) driving experience from the 2016 face-lift onward. Difficult to explain but it just feels much more refined.

But then, I may be one of the lucky ones. HaHaHa

PS. I notice now that I have not answered your question on why you should NOT buy a Ford....my apology.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/11/14 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Go read on the Ford Problems section, the frequency of engine and transmission failures would put me off. Maybe also try a Pajero Sport?
    and exactly where do you find a Mitsu dealer? Kokstad = 130kms, Durban is further?
    Percivamus

and exactly where do you find a Mitsu dealer? Kokstad = 130kms, Durban is further?
    Also here: https://www.mitsubishipmb.co.za/
    Last edited by Jens78; 2019/11/14 at 02:19 PM.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

IMO apart from the nicer ride in the 2.2 Everest the 2.4 Fortuner is better in everything else, spend a bit more and have less worries I say!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    120kms.

He has TWO Toyota shops IN TOWN.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    IMO apart from the nicer ride in the 2.2 Everest the 2.4 Fortuner is better in everything else, spend a bit more and have less worries I say!!
    in this case, it is a clever choice

Toyota's dealer and service center penetration in rural ZA is what allows them to sell more. I'd buy a Toyota if I lived there and I don't even like them.
    Percivamus

Ford SA or the factory are always having sales, so if after a year or 2, trying to sell the car is a problem because a new car is almost the same price...
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2019/11/14 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Updated "or 2"

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Ford SA or the factory are always having sales, so if after a year, trying to sell the car is a problem because a new car is almost the same price...
    Selling ANY new vehicle after a year is stupid, you've only paid interest, you actually still owe close to the full amount.
    Percivamus

I don't think the SA consumers are as stupid as people like to suggest. Ford is the second best bakkie seller in SA - it won't stay like that if they are that bad. If you like the Ford, then buy it.

And that advise comes from a Die-hard Hilux fan.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Disclaimer: Let me state up front that I am a die hard Ford supporter and a hater of all things Toyota... Nothing particularly wrong with Toyota, just nothing really to justify it's "favourites" tag aside from reliability and dealer network - in my humble opinion . I've only ever owned Fords aside from two Pajero Sports (while I waited for the new Everest to come out) but I do run a fleet of 35 vehicles with experience in Toyota, Ford and a few others so feel qualified to throw my two cents in.

The thing that always intrigues me is this talk of dealer networks. Just how critical is it? I've overlanded to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique and fortunately have never had issues requiring dealer assistance and when I add all my mileages up I've traveled about 1.5m kilometres over the years with little or no fuss.

When it comes to servicing, Ford is every 15,000km vs. 10,000km for Toyota so you need a dealership 50% more often if you drive a Toyota. Granted there is a Toyota dealership in iXopo which is a short hop skip and a jump from Creighton but a bit further down the road is Pietermaritzburg where you will service a Ford.

I've also never suffered at trade in time (both personal and work vehicles) so the whole resale value thing is also not such a big deal.

My opinion - buy what you like. I don't understand basing a purchase on what amounts to a few days a year when a dealer is required.

When it comes to the big manufacturers there aren't any "bad" vehicles out there aside from the odd lemon you can get from any brand. I did chuckle to myself recently when a mate of mine who is about to pull the trigger on an Isuzu MUX drove in my Everest and proclaimed that it was better in every respect but he still wouldn't buy one because its a Ford...
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Koppycat View Post
    Granted there is a Toyota dealership in iXopo which is a short hop skip and a jump from Creighton but a bit further down the road is Pietermaritzburg where you will service a Ford.
    A 250kms round trip to do a service? I think not. And I doubt Ford has the brains to complete a service in under 8 hours. So that means a sleep-over and a whole days leave.
    Percivamus

A 250kms round trip to do a service? I think not. And I doubt Ford has the brains to complete a service in under 8 hours. So that means a sleep-over and a whole days leave.
    Ja, but at least it will be a pleasant drive..... HaHaHa.

Sorry off topic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast