Why shouldn’t I buy a Ford - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Why shouldn’t I buy a Ford

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A 250kms round trip to do a service? I think not. And I doubt Ford has the brains to complete a service in under 8 hours. So that means a sleep-over and a whole days leave.
    My last three services at Ford in PMB have been done before 2pm in the afternoon, one even by 12:30...but hey, maybe KZN doesn't suffer from the brains issue? I have 5 Toyota's operating in and around the iXopo area yet we bring those to Pmb because of the service at the Toyota dealership.
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    And it must be 4x4. A double cab is easy to come by but the 2.2 Ford Everest, not so much.Is that because no one wants to sell them?
    They only sold the 4x4 2.2 Everest in the XLS spec so I don't think there are too many in circulation. Ford has really missed the boat here as they don't have a competitor to the 2.4 Fortuner 4x4...
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

A 250kms round trip to do a service? I think not. And I doubt Ford has the brains to complete a service in under 8 hours. So that means a sleep-over and a whole days leave.
    I was on a extended trip botswana and Namibia. I knew I would have to have the 30 000 service while in Walvis bay to keep warranty alive. Had camper on back. Booked into ford dealer walvis
    They put 2 mechanics onto it. I spent some time having good look at Mustang on the showroom floor, read Car Magazine and by this time service was finished

I have no complaints and after 60 000 km overlanding with heavy camper ONLY issue was canbus somehow cancelling right front headlight on dim when night breaker globes used
    All other services Pietermaritzburg and as I live on farm always request service to be completed by 12 so wife and I can come in with 2 cars, shop, early lunch and then fetch car which has always been ready and washed
    Last edited by richarda; 2019/11/14 at 06:02 PM.
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Almost 80 000km on mine with lots of overlanding.
    Not a single issue. In fact not even a puncture.
    Great service from ford in Stellenbosch too.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdjulyan View Post
    80,000kms is barely run in, in my house
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I’m very happy with my Ford’s. Don’t need aftermarket suspension parts for better ride. Just on this forum one said Isuzu good the other bad. When I trade my Hilux in had to let go below trade , years ago with my Camry same story. (Both very well looked after) End of the day buy what you like and can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdjulyan View Post
    My first Ranger waited until 123 000 before it started giving issues, the one I replaced it with didnt even have the decency to get 70 000km in before it had to spend time in the workshop for warranty repairs.
    The bakkie is nice when it works, but I have no faith left in the brand anymore.
    I really hope there is an Isuzu that ticks my boxes when I need to buy again.

Asking this question in a country that will forgive Toyota anything can only lead to one answer.... and the state of the country with such thinking is no secret!!

My experience- nowaday Toyota's quality is sub-standard to Ford's!!!

On my 2nd hard-working Ranger T6 past 100 000km and only a pleasure!!! ...and this one will have to go to 300k minimum!!!
    Even if it was as "###" as some would say - it still rides better, looks better and is far safer!!!

Use it - don' t use it...
    2017 Ranger 2.2 XL D/Cab
    2018 Polo Vivo (Mom's taxi)
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    1968 Ford 20M 2500S coupe

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Not too worried about where a dealer is. Even with a Toyota in Ixopo. I still get my personal and work Toyota’s services in howick. Always handy having a local Toyota but is the quality of the workmanship up to standard. Debatable. Getting it done in howick means I can also go to a decent butchery.

There is a lot of good debates that can happen. Lots of people swear by the fords and some can’t stand them and have had bad experiences. If I can find a hilux or fortuner with low mileage with in budget I probably will still go with one of them. But i highly doubt I will find one. In fact one Toyota dealership told me to tell them if I did so they can buy it.

Ideally an SUV will do but really not fussed if it’s a double cab. Only difference is I’ll have to spend extra on a decent canopy.
    2003 hilux 3.0Kzte double cab(sold)
    2008 3.0 D4D double cab 4x4(sold)
    2010 Suzuki jimny(sold)
    2014 Isuzu KB250dteq double cab 4x4(Snorky8)) Tough Dog suspension, RSI canopy, Opposite lock Bull Bar and rear bumper, Safari Snorkel

Post Re: Why shouldn’t I buy a Ford

I must have been the biggest Ford supporter on the forum. Still owns a good share of Fords. Over many years I have only excellent service from my Fords with most only sold pass the 500k km mark. I must also note that I have never owned a diesel Ford.

Though I love my Fords I have flip flopped between most of the big Manufacturers. Have owned three SFA Hiluxes in the 80`s till mid 90`s.

Being friends with the owner of one of the best Ford dealers in the country I were always lucky to get one of the first test drives in new models. When the T6 Ranger came out I must be honest that it did not impressed me. So I hang onto the 4.0L Ranger hoping that Ford will release a Ranger with a nice powerful petrol engine.

Ford diesel engine reliability in my book is not up to my expected standards. Now this forum had make and form certain of my personal views on certain vehicles. Also I am incontact with contractors running fleets of Rangers. Have many friends with Rangers some with high km readings and a clean record. Then there is the sad part of engine failures past the 100k km mark which cost the owners a fortune.

When my eldest Christopher came into the market for a bakkie earlier this year we sat down and evaluate the market.
    I could get a Ranger for an eye watering low price through my Ford dealer friend. With all the odds we decided on a 2.8GD6 Hilux.
    Maybe less features and more uncomfortable than a Ford but till date I don`t know of any 2.8GD6 Toyota Hilux engine failure.

All my hopes were in the Raptor Ranger hoping for a proper petrol powered high kilowatt vehicle. Were saddened with the choice of the 2.0l.

Excluding the Mustang there are no Ford in the Ford range that make me lose some sleep.

I am currently happy with the Cruisers and love them to bits. Maybe one day again there will be a Ford bakkie that I will love to own.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Jelo, not sure if you've driven a Ford in recent years?

If you have, your dealership was useless.

Every service I've had with my Focus, Ranger and now Everest, have been done quickly and professionally. I've always had my vehicle back (full service and decent wash) by 15:00.

On the reliability remarks, I have never had any major issues. I've never been left stranded next to the road, never blown anything, never caught on fire, just smiles all the way.

With regards to trade, I recently made a R50k "profit" on a trade of my Ranger when I bought the Everest.

Fords are decent vehicles, with amazing value for money. Even in Australia, where the Hilux also outsells the Ranger, most of the reviews rank the Ranger on top. A lot of Youtube videos available.

So I say, buy the Ford
    Last edited by Henko88; 2019/11/15 at 09:12 AM.
    2000 Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Henko88 View Post
    Even in Australia, where the Hilux also outsells the Ranger, most of the reviews rank the Ranger on top. A lot of Youtube videos available.
    Funny you should mention this. Just about all reviews I have seen in Aus have rated the Ranger higher than the Hilux, yet the Hilux outsells it.
    I can only mean that long term ownership shows up the pros and cons which cannot be picked up in a test of a couple of days.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Well, our vehicle fleet here at work used to comprise of four rangers, three hiluxs and one fortuner. The hiluxes and fortuners are over 300 000kms now, zero problems. All four of the fords managed to scrape to about 150 000kms before the company decided to get rid of them. The fords were constantly broken, in for repairs, or parked in the basement unable to move with pools of oil underneath them.

These vehicles dont work too hard - the odd gravel road, but mainly just going from site to site. Ok, the fortuner did a stint in malawi, and spent a night in a river when it got stuck there once.

My mates ranger has thrown the transmission, or check engine? I cant remember now, light, twice, and its under 100 000kms.

Nice looking cars, and good price compared to others, but ya no, theres a reason theyre cheap.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Funny you should mention this. Just about all reviews I have seen in Aus have rated the Ranger higher than the Hilux, yet the Hilux outsells it.
    I can only mean that long term ownership shows up the pros and cons which cannot be picked up in a test of a couple of days.
    Francois you hit the nail on the head.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

The Ranger has been sold since 2011 in Australia.

They commented on factors such as ownership over time, and still stated they are reliable. Maybe the ones built in SA, are just not built as well, and I may have been lucky?
    2000 Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Henko88 View Post
    The Ranger has been sold since 2011 in Australia.

They commented on factors such as ownership over time, and still stated they are reliable. Maybe the ones built in SA, are just not built as well, and I may have been lucky?
    Maybe those Thai built ones are better all-round than the SA built ones

Exactly.

Ford is very clever with once you've bought a Ford you're locked in, the resale value is bad and the only way you get a good trade is to sell it back to them and upgrade to a newer Ford.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

The Pajero is well worth considering, I am reluctant to buy the Fortuner , mainly because it will get jacked and also it just is not that refined as the Sport.
    There are some really good specials for the sport at the moment R570k for the 4x4 brand new.
    I've been following quite a few clips from youtube... not much between the Everest and the Sport....and the fortuner seems out of the running ( Most reviews are from Ozz )
    I'm also trying to make up my mind....the new 2020 sport looks really nice !!
    the Everest just looks more capable !

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.za/...SAAEgJQbvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Well, our vehicle fleet here at work used to comprise of four rangers, three hiluxs and one fortuner. The hiluxes and fortuners are over 300 000kms now, zero problems. All four of the fords managed to scrape to about 150 000kms before the company decided to get rid of them. The fords were constantly broken, in for repairs, or parked in the basement unable to move with pools of oil underneath them.

These vehicles dont work too hard - the odd gravel road, but mainly just going from site to site. Ok, the fortuner did a stint in malawi, and spent a night in a river when it got stuck there once.

My mates ranger has thrown the transmission, or check engine? I cant remember now, light, twice, and its under 100 000kms.

Nice looking cars, and good price compared to others, but ya no, theres a reason theyre cheap.
    Sounds like the same story for our company as well. Hiluxes and Fortuner still going strong but had tl replace all the 2.2 Rangers. We use the vehicles for site work. The new Rangers had electrical issues, transmission failures etc.
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    Hi All

Come January I’m due to get another vehicle. How ever I find my self in a position where Toyota 4x4 double cabs or Fortuners are just too expensive. I’ve always been a die hard Toyota fan. I Have tried out an Isuzu of which I explained my problems with them in a post last year, I swore I’d never buy another one. And the 250dteq really does not have the low down grunt for off road use.

So I’ve found myself in the position of looking at Fords. Then I test drive a 2.2 Everest this am. Wow I was impressed. Still need to take a double cab for a test aswell however I did take one through Mabua a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

The vehicle needs to be less than a year and less the 20 000km old. And it must be 4x4. A double cab is easy to come by but the 2.2 Ford Everest, not so much.Is that because no one wants to sell them?

I’ve always been part of the Toyota owner club who bash Fords. And live in a district where it’s the norm to give the Ford owners gears. But the price tag, ride comfort and the simple fact that you can find them for sale make it hard to ignore.

But I see double cab sales have dropped drastically for the Ford. Why is that?

Why shouldn’t I and why should I buy a Ford?
    Toyota Hilux bakkies and Fortuners do retain their values better than others, but you pay a premium for Toyota vehicles when you buy one, whether new or old! Rather consider a demo or pre-owned Ford (e.g. Ranger or Everest) then. The choice between the 3.2 or 2.2 depends entirely on your requirements.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast