What to do





Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What to do

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    44
    Posts
    195

    Default What to do

    Morning all

    I need some advice on replacing tyres.

    My wife (true story) managed to cut the front left Cooper AT sidewall against a small retaining wall for flowers.It had sharp edge on the brick.
    Now, I fitted the tyres new on my Fortuner GD6 in 2017 and they have done 47500km.I have the new spare on in front, and approached a fitment centre who recommended to replace all 4.
    My thinking was to replace either the two front or one front and use the new spare as second,with the remaining front right as spare.

    Am I being silly?4 new Cooper tyres will be around R16 500 which is heavy for this time of year.

    If I replace two new front, will do the back in new year.

    The reason for 4 new according to the fitment guy is that only doing the front two will result in uneaven wear and not correct grip etc.
    Just remember that the new fortuner is part time 2wd.

    opinions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: What to do

    Seems to me the guy is trying for a quick sale, as the new Fortuners are part time 4x4 I would fit 2 x new tires to the front or rear axle Remember that when off road the tyres will have slip on the terrain and therefore no windup on the diffs will happen.
    Neil Sauls

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    44
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: What to do

    Thanks Neil, that is my feeling and thinking as well.Cant see what one cannot do two now and two later.Thread still ok on them,guess at least another 10 000km-15 000km.

    Thought I am missing something.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    B-gowrie Randburg
    Age
    65
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: What to do

    I would just replace the single cut tyre and pair it with the spare ...
    ... and buy from another tyre guy at that.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: What to do

    Take your business elsewhere, the guy is a crook. If he isn't the manager, tell the manager you're going somewhere else.

    He has no technical reason for saying that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: What to do

    I'll definitely go for 2 new tyres on same axle.
    There was a thread a while ago about front or rear axle.... typical one with no winner, but my money is 100% on rear axle for new tyres.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,683

    Default Re: What to do

    As long as you keep the size the same, I will also go for buy one and use with spare on the same axle.

    If I remember correctly the tyre size calculator I used started complaining after a 9mm difference in height for the sake of the traction/stability control.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/11/14 at 01:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: What to do

    I know of no situation or technology where a similar sized tyre can cause issues.

    It is just impossible.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: What to do

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I'll definitely go for 2 new tyres on same axle.
    There was a thread a while ago about front or rear axle.... typical one with no winner, but my money is 100% on rear axle for new tyres.
    Why do you say that? I believe one changes the front tyres because they are the steering ones, even if the vehicle is rear wheel drive. If it's all wheel drive then if you run into crap, slipping and or sliding then all 4 wheels should have drive, even then, I'd put my money on having good steering tyres...

    Comments, am I wrong with this line of thought?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    33
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: What to do

    Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    I would just replace the single cut tyre and pair it with the spare ...
    ... and buy from another tyre guy at that.
    +1



    didnt he tell you to change because your tyres are almost 5 years old as well?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: What to do

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    If I remember correctly the tyre size calculator I used started complaining after a 9mm difference in height for the sake of the traction/stability control.
    9mm is the depth of most AT treads, MT's are 13-15mm

    but yes, that is the only issue : when the brake-reliant T/C and ESC thinks one wheel is spinning faster but to my mind that has to exceed the percentage of spin on the T/C logic map

    It seems most manufacturers of SEDANS or town cars allows 15mm.

    It would stand to reason that the percentage of slip on a 4x4 or SUV would be much higher. Also, most T/C systems will mostly ignore a percentage of slip if the slip remained constant.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: What to do

    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I believe one changes the front tyres because they are the steering ones, even if the vehicle is rear wheel drive.
    I would say you have a decent line of logic.

    There is more value in keeping the steering set perfect.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,651

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: What to do

    Directional stability comes from the rear

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    44
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: What to do

    Thanks gents for the replies.I am going to another dealer tomorrow morning.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,026

    Default Re: What to do

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Directional stability comes from the rear
    I would also go with that, but this kind of discussion flares up every 2 years or so. Always the same people knowing it better.
    This discussion will derail the thread.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •