First time ever

Thread: First time ever

Default First time ever

My little girl is getting on the Gautrain for me to pick her up at Marlboro. 13 years old, the world's confidence, not a worry at all.

Mom is sitting crying in the parking area until the train has left.

Dad is a stress ball.

Just a couple of months ago she was 2 years old.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-11-13 at 12.46.52.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	547494
    Last edited by Uys; 2019/11/13 at 12:52 PM.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Default Re: First time ever

Just this morning I was sitting thinking how carefree my childhood was wrt safety and worries regarding safety.You have guts ( and she) to let her get onto that train.
    n' profeet word nie in sy eie land geken nie!

She will be fine. Just wait for her at the Marlboro terminal and not in your car. I hate that terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottie1 View Post
    Just this morning I was sitting thinking how carefree my childhood was wrt safety and worries regarding safety.You have guts ( and she) to let her get onto that train.
    that's true ... and we're not even that old. Show's you how quick things change. Leave the house on a Saturday morning with my bicycle, cricket kit, rugby ball and a R5 (or whatever it was) - for slap chips. Mom just saying, "just be back before dark"

With two grown up and married daughters I know this feeling very well. It is really difficult to accept when they grow up and start spreading their wings

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    that's true ... and we're not even that old. Show's you how quick things change. Leave the house on a Saturday morning with my bicycle, cricket kit, rugby ball and a R5 (or whatever it was) - for slap chips. Mom just saying, "just be back before dark"
    Yip, we experienced the same freedom. Out in the morning with the pellet gun. Some unlucky "bosduiwe" ended up on a fire. Rest of the day on the bicycles or in the town swimming pool. Think I was 11.
    We once got hold of a rubber snake, tied some fishing gut to it and pulled it across a gravel road a few times with some funny results! When one of the farmers nearly rolled his bakkie while slamming brakes over the thing, we realised that was a bit of a $&^ idea!! My brother and I once hiked from Koster to Krugersdorp and catch a train to Vandebijlpark to visit my aunt and uncle during school holidays.
    We also "gooied" kleilat (lekker blou-kolle!) and did some fishing. Great days!
    Last edited by AntonN; 2019/11/13 at 01:47 PM.

Ja Uys, die tyd loop darm vinnig......eergister was ek self 'n kaalvoet klong, gister het ek my eie kinders sien rond baljaar en vandag beleef ek als weer oor met die klienkinders
    Flip le Roux
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4 Auto
    2000 Cruiser 105 4.5EFI
    2016 Jurgens Exclusive
    2014 BMW R1200RT
    2016 BMW F800GS ADV
    2016 Kia Picanto - Swambo
    2019 2.2 Ranger D/C XLS 4x4 Auto - Work
    GP0015

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Yip, we experienced the same freedom. Out in the morning with the pellet gun. Some unlucky "bosduiwe" ended up on a fire. Rest of the day on the bicycles or in the town swimming pool. Think I was 11.We once got hold of a rubber snake once, tied some fishing gut to it and pulled it across a gravel road a few times with some funny results! When one of the farmers nearly rolled his bakkie while slamming brakes over the thing, we realised that was a bit of a $&^ idea!! My brother and I once hiked from Koster to Krugersdorp and catch a train to Vandebijlpark to visit my aunt and uncle during school holidays.We also "gooied" kleilat (lekker blou-kolle!) and did some fishing. Great days!
    Haha, onthou jy toe ons Rustenburg Kloof toe ge "hike" het and die oom van Avbob ons met die lykwa opgelaai het? Wat was sy naam? Ons het toe ook toevallig Rondawel 13 gekry! Kan nie onthou of dit ek en jy was, of die pelle. Ons het baie gehike daardie tyd.

mine took herself off to LA to do a MA......

very tough mindset to leave knowing NOBODY!!
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Very difficult to "leave your daughter in the hands" of strangers, mine uses Uber 3 times a week from school to home
    Don't know what we will do without WatsApp live location.....

I think the Gautrain is pretty safe. Mom drops her off and make sure she goes in. I wait on the other side.

Worked well, I picked her up yesterday to go to the farm and dropped her at the station at 5h30 again this morning. Mom waited in Centurion.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Exclamation Re: First time ever

It happens, ESPECIALLY with daughters!
    Mine is now 17, but going on 3 in my eyes! I am petrified of her going out on her own in this sick society we live in! Paranoid? YES!!!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.