Too many tourists threatening Serengeti ecosystem?

Default Too many tourists threatening Serengeti ecosystem?

My interest was piqued by this article in this South African on-line news site - https://www.traveller24.com/Explore/...ism-20191108-2

Particularly concerning was this Kenyan article in a similar vein - https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/arti...ts-own-success

We did experience over-crowding on both the Tanzanian (Serengeti) and the Kenyan side (Maasai Mara) of the Mara during the Great Wildebeest Migration. I fear it is going to become more difficult and probably more expensive for independant self-drivers to witness this natural wonder.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Default Re: Too many tourists threatening Serengeti ecosystem?

Such a pity. Maybe it's better to take a self drive tour to the migration in Zambia?
    Pajero 4 LWB
    The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging (Warren Buffet)

Stan I agree with you. There is only one way, I suppose, to prevent this, and that will be increasing visiting fees and /or restricting access numbers. Further, strict rules, like those implemented in the Mara Triangle (No. cars/ sighting, off roading, etc..) should also be enforced. I really do not know about the Mara proper, as we just merely passed by, but in the Serengeti it seemed to me that although the rules exist, nobody really has the trouble to enforce it. This was most noticed at Kogatende next to the crossing points, and unfortunately professional tour operators where the first to break the rules. Contrary to this, we witnessed a very well run operation, at Mara Conservancy, with rangers really patrolling the areas and making their presence noticed. An example to follow, I believe.

Thanks for posting this articles very interesting.
    In 2018 we did not enjoy the masai mara area because we felt there where way to may vehicles felt like a big zoo.
    Triangle area was really good qua wildlife and tourist numbers.
    Increasing the very steep entrance fees in Kenya and tanzania is not good I think then only the people with enough money can enjoy this and that s not good
    Maybe a visitor's limit like Kruger
    you can buy online your entrance fee till a number ( also the lodges ) what s aloud in a day and if you don t buy that in forehand no entrance.

No doubt that the control of vehicles at the Mara River migration crossing points on the Mara Triangle side is far better than in the Maasai Mara itself and in Serengeti in Tanzania.

Overcrowding is an increasing issue in all 3 areas and I am concerned that this might be regulated in such a manner that it adversely affects ordinary, independant travellers.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

It is the same conundrum all over the world be it in a city or wild places.

What is good is that the Kenyan authorities are talking about it and, hopefully, some action will happen. As has been said, the main problem of too many vehicles is on the Narok side of the reserve. The Mara Triangle side well managed. However, because of too many vehicles on the Narok side at river crossings, many drivers are coming round to the Mara Triangle side. Please read these excellent monthly reports from the Mara Conservancy (Triangle). https://www.maratriangle.org/novembe...-1/august-2019

There is much more to the Mara than wildebeest crossings during the migration. Yes, I am lucky enough to have seen a few river crossings, but we now stay away from the crossing points. This past August, we had six hour drives without seeing any other vehicles. And we saw hundreds of thousands of wildebeest, a huge number of lions (all to ourselves), and cheetah (again all to ourselves).

I was talking about limiting the entrance vehicles at all times. We were there outside the migration crossing season and at the Masai Mara it was still way too crowded... Totally not nice / good.. We will not go back to this side of the masai mara.
    Triangle was very good and not too busy even the serengeti side was way better and not too crowded

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I haven't been into the Mara side in over 15 years when I used to guide into Kenya and even then it was crowded.
    I'm busy with a project in the Western Serengeti which is considered the quietest area of the reserve and that's also busy but nothing like Central and Northern. The last figure I heard was over 150 camps and mobile camps in the Serengeti. That does not include the camps outside the reserve!!!
    Visitor numbers also badly affect the Ngorongoro Crater experience with queues of cars at a sighting. Raising the park fees didn't help there at all. The only viable solution would be to restrict numbers but this would go hand in hand with raised fees as the northern parks are supporting the southern parks where numbers are low.
    The introduction of new parks in the west of the country has opened up the possibility of a drivable western circuit. Ugalla River and Moyowosi could tie in with Katavi, Mahale and Ruaha. The road system is terrible but the world bank has earmarked $150 million for development of Southern tourism.
    I'll be driving the new western parks as well as the established ones after the rains to look at the potential of setting up a circuit for an investor who is keen.
    Unfortunately the North is what it is and the numbers will always be high and I doubt any meaningful change will happen as they are the cash cows and will be milked dry.
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

Thank you for your "insider" perspective 2.8i rocks.

My perspective is perhaps different, as is the case of most of those that have contributed to this thread so far, although I cannot purport to speak for them.

I visited all those parks as part of a prolonged self-drive overland trip and one of the advantages of this was that no advanced bookings were required for independant travellers. I fear the first to suffer because of the overcrowding will be the relatively low-budget (but dedicated Africa enthusiast) independent travellers. Not only the increased costs, but also the need to book well in advance, might well be insurmountable impediments.

What seems obvious is that changes might well be in the offing.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan

The big question is how do you protect the park ecosystem and the impact on the wildlife while still bringing in max revenue and keeping everybody happy?
    Controlling numbers in high use parks and upping the fees for those parks seems like the only way. This will impact on drop in self drives but doesn't Bots do the same right now? Campsites need to be booked and full is full.
    There is no way I can see that you can keep the numbers down, revenue up and at the same time no control on the numbers allowed in.
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow