Travel time to holiday time ratio - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Travel time to holiday time ratio

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'll look at that thanks. The problem is the N1 is 3.5 hours, now we're up to 6........

So I looked at your route and you're taking us through Death Valley, a.k.a Sosh and Mabopane.........those places make the Cape Flats look benign.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/An...23.9006518!3e0
    That is why I said that I have not personally driven most of this route and it might be going from bad to worse. I did wander about the section through Shosh.

I agree that the N1 will be the quickest...... but not necessarily on that weekend. It will coincide with the builders break. So both the N1 and Moloto roads could be extremely busy. I don't know what your plans are, but it may be better to leave either the Thursday or Saterday.

But yes many things to take into considering when planning a trip.

Good post Mike.

Speaking as overlanders – NOT the typical once a year trip to the coast (or wherever) -spend two weeks at one site (usually at the same place each year) and return home scenario. In other words I am excluding one-destination trips.

A number of good points are made or mentioned here – to summarize some of the main ones:

• make the travel part of the holiday (Jelo)
    • how much driving per day and not racing between stopovers trying to fit too much in (Koppycat)
    • we enjoy exploring, even at our destination (RoelfleRoux)
    • the journey starts when I leave my gate. No racing to destination. Hell one can take 2-3 days to get to KZN coast and still have had a fantastic holiday before you even arrive (gazza1210)
    • the amount of time we spend poring over maps and planning is almost as much fun as doing the actual trip (2.8i rocks)
    • Even better when I can plot uncharted tracks in Google Earth and then go and explore them.(Daniek)
    • THEN there’s THIS: Huge discounts are offered at some resorts in the Eastern Cape and Natal South coast if you stay a month.This gives ample time to thoroughly explore the areas and just chill.(Mitsu Fan)
    • being in an unfamiliar country puts a lot more stress on you (mvcoller)

So you get the drift. However a lot depends on your age etc.

OK, now - off topic, confession time: - but also kind of a cautionary tale:

When we were young, stupid and irresponsible, we thought nothing of driving (not camping) from Johannesburg to Cape Town for a PARTY!
    That is -leaving home Friday after work, getting there Saturday sometime having driven overnight with roadside naps, then PAAARDY!! into late Saturday night, then a quick 2 hour NAP and leave VERY early morning (Like 3 am!!!) - back to Johannesburg.
    Some sleep - then back at work Monday morning.

Crazy, insane stuff. Hopefully I have grown up a bit since then.
    PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.

EISH ! EMBARASSED.

Maybe this explains a few things, yes?
    I was a bad boy.I hope that I am better MAN.

Confession over and apology for (partial) thread hijack.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

For our Namibian trips, we also did home to Windhoek in the shortest time possible to have more quality time at our intended holiday destinations in Namibia. It was a long 1200km first leg to Upington, followed by the slightly shorter second day to Windhoek. It worked for us.

I don't have that energy anymore, add the slower max speed of 100km/hr of our camper. Now our holiday starts when we leave home, and not on day three.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    for our namibian trips, we also did home to windhoek in the shortest time possible to have more quality time at our intended holiday destinations in namibia. It was a long 1200km first leg to upington, followed by the slightly shorter second day to windhoek. It worked for us.

I don't have that energy anymore, add the slower max speed of 100km/hr of our camper. Now our holiday starts when we leave home, and not on day three.
    yebo !
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3