Travel time to holiday time ratio - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Travel time to holiday time ratio

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    beter, in 'n Wrangler

Ek haat adventure bikes, ek dink dis bikes wat so swaar is soos karre maar probeer om te offroad tot hulle naby sand kom dan dop hulle om. Dis die useless crossover van die bike węreld.

(TIC natuurlik voor al die GS ouens begin gis......... )

Dis 'n adventure bike:

Enigiets anders is n commuter.

So off topic soos nog iets....

maar jy kan nie adventure bike mark uit haal en dan n voorbeeld op sit van n bike met pad tyres nie!

Ek ry n 1190 tans en my riding buddy n 950, ons altwee se bikes tans so bietjie stukkend gery want die afstande is ver en die tyd min.
    So meer op die thread/bier topic, ek het n 1600km grondpad in 24uur gedoen vir n sertifikaat op n bike.
    n wrangler sou ongelukkig nie altyd kon by die bikes hou nie

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    So off topic soos nog iets....

maar jy kan nie adventure bike mark uit haal en dan n voorbeeld op sit van n bike met pad tyres nie!
    Ag OK ..........

Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Ai. Soos n klein seuntjie wil ek mos nou maar n foto van my bike ook opsit

Ek sal nou ophou off topic wees! Ek below!
    Nou nou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190909_082345.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	547613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190825_135931.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	547614  

Manne daar is n bike afdeling asb

Depends on the choice of trip. I once drove from Lusaka to Ballito (about 5000km). Left early hours of Friday morning and returned late Monday night, just for ex MIL 50th... I was about 30 then, I'm 50 now so....

I'd almost agree with the 1:5 ratio but I also believe that the journey starts when I leave my gate. No racing to destination. Hell one can take 2-3 days to get to KZN coast and still have had a fantastic holiday before you even arrive.
    Last edited by gazza1210; 2019/11/14 at 05:34 PM.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Just done 1250km in 3 days spending a night in different places each night and it was a fantastic trip.
    I love driving and see it as very much part of my holiday, my 9 year old daughter agrees with me 100% and the amount of time we spend poring over maps and planning is almost as much fun as doing the actual trip.
    Neil Rocher
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1982 Mog 416
    1971 series 2a 109"
    1968 FJ40 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu) 88"
    1958 series 2 (Betty) 88"
    1955 series 1 109"

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8i rocks View Post
    and the amount of time we spend poring over maps and planning is almost as much fun as doing the actual trip.
    Exactly, and that is why I love helping other people with their planning also.

Even better when I can plot uncharted tracks in Google Earth and then go and explore them. Done that earlier this year in the Transkei driving right up to the Mfilelo warefall.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/11/14 at 06:47 PM.

Thank you for all the responses folks. Each person to his own. I also think the planning of routes stage of your holiday is great and also working food, beverages and fuel requirements. Sometimes we get it wrong - either too much or not enough.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

We are derailing the thread, but here goes. I have an alternative to your route where I tried to avoid the Moloto Road. Looks like it will take about an hour longer but slightly shorter. I have not traveled most of the route, so the chance is there that it could be from better to worse. There is a bit more gravel thrown in.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/An...23.9006518!3e0

PS. Somehow the route does plot the way I have done it when viewing it on my tablet, but on the PC it is correct??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-15 091954.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	547677
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/11/15 at 09:21 AM.

My naam is Michael en ek ry 'n...ermm "commuter"...elke dag...

We do across the border trips once a year during Jun / Jul. It is normally 2 + weeks and the disadvantage for us Capetonians are that we have a looong drive to get to places like Namibia or Botswana. We prefer to push long distances to get to the other side and then take it easy with 2 to 3 nights per stop for the duration. The down trip back home is also broken into shorter sections.

I do not mind doing long distances. I actually enjoy the driving part and taking in the change in scenery as we go along. I have been fortunate for the most part with having nice towing vehicle / trailer combinations that are also reliable. Getting that wrong can be a tiresome event....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

I see we have other members (and the OP) from Nelspruit and barberton joining this discussion. Same as Michael from Cape town, us lowvelders have the issue of being very far from anything other than KNP/Swasi/Moz. SWAMBO and I had this discussion last night. My working conditions have changed dramatically. We used to travel out of season, taking 3x full weeks a year to go somewhere. Other than the normal once a month weekends. From next year I will only be able to do long trips in December like most others.

So we want to go somewhere good next December, like kgalagadi or CPT. We only have 9 days. You will bust your nuts getting there and back in 4 days. Leaving 5 days for the rest of the trip. Is it worth it? Thing is I like to sightsee on the way, stop take pictures, fly the drone etc. On a time restriction you to schumacher it down there and back.

I like the way Petri has his formula, however he is much more "central". I would like to do a 150km/ 1 night formula.

Thing is SA is a vast area, to sightsee you need time, a commodity very rare in our times.

Is it worth the rush to kgalagadi and back to enjoy 5 days there? Please I need some input, I need to make bookings asap.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    We tour there and tour a little less on the way back. The way Daniek explains it is about our way as well. I can't really stay away from my office for more than 2 weeks at a time, but retirement eatly next year will change that scenario dramatically.
    Boredom sets in quickly, so we enjoy exploring, even at our destination. The wife will always have a long list of out of the way farm- or remote- cemeteries to go and find and record.
    Can I lend you wife for a trip like that?
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Quote Originally Posted by WernerDL View Post
    I usually travel between 400 and 600km per day (depending on amount of gravel roads) and then stay 3 nights per destination. Usually also 3 destinations per trip.
    This is what we do when touring across border.

We will apply the same when I retire (again) next year.

With one exception. Huge discounts are offered at some resorts in the Eastern Cape and Natal South coast if you stay a month.

This gives ample time to thoroughly explore the areas and just chill.

Cheers
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    We are derailing the thread, but here goes. I have an alternative to your route where I tried to avoid the Moloto Road. Looks like it will take about an hour longer but slightly shorter. I have not traveled most of the route, so the chance is there that it could be from better to worse. There is a bit more gravel thrown in.

PS. Somehow the route does plot the way I have done it when viewing it on my tablet, but on the PC it is correct??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-15 091954.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	547677
    I'll look at that thanks. The problem is the N1 is 3.5 hours, now we're up to 6........

So I looked at your route and you're taking us through Death Valley, a.k.a Sosh and Mabopane.........those places make the Cape Flats look benign.

Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    My naam is Michael en ek ry 'n...ermm "commuter"...elke dag...
    I don't mind the F800GS, at least it weighs less than a car.

And you can get decent tyres.

Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

In 1996 we did 10,500 km from Jhb to Springbok, then all the way as far north as Etosha, then to Vic Falls via the Caprivi, on to Harare and back home in Jhb. That was in 3 weeks! We were younger and our bodies could handle it all better. Our children were 8 and 7 years old then. We borrowed a dome tent, it was our first "overland" and camping trip and I did it with my 3 month old company car at the time, a Toyota Venture 2,2 GLE fitted with a LS diff.

Then in 1998 (same Venture, now fitted with 215/80 x 14 Dunlop Trackgrips and towing a trailer, RTT on the Venture and one on a frame on the modified Challenger trailer) we went via Zimbabwe, Mozambique (Tete Province), Malawi and all the way up the lake via Mbeya and Iringa to Dar-es-Salaam, (left the vehicle and trailer with the nuns at the Cathedral near the harbour and took the ferry to Zanzibar for 3 nights), then on to Moshi to see Kilimanjaro, then to Arusha,Ngorogoro Crater and back home via Mbeya, Mpisha Hot Springs in central Zambia, Kariba, Harare and back home. This was a 8,500km trip in 3 1/2 weeks, yet we felt a lot more "battered" when we got home.

I think that being in an unfamiliar country puts a lot more stress on you and you should take it a lot easier than locally where you more or less know what to expect....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/11/18 at 08:58 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    I see we have other members (and the OP) from Nelspruit and barberton joining this discussion. Same as Michael from Cape town, us lowvelders have the issue of being very far from anything other than KNP/Swasi/Moz. SWAMBO and I had this discussion last night. My working conditions have changed dramatically. We used to travel out of season, taking 3x full weeks a year to go somewhere. Other than the normal once a month weekends. From next year I will only be able to do long trips in December like most others.

So we want to go somewhere good next December, like kgalagadi or CPT. We only have 9 days. You will bust your nuts getting there and back in 4 days. Leaving 5 days for the rest of the trip. Is it worth it? Thing is I like to sightsee on the way, stop take pictures, fly the drone etc. On a time restriction you to schumacher it down there and back.

I like the way Petri has his formula, however he is much more "central". I would like to do a 150km/ 1 night formula.

Thing is SA is a vast area, to sightsee you need time, a commodity very rare in our times.

Is it worth the rush to kgalagadi and back to enjoy 5 days there? Please I need some input, I need to make bookings asap.
    I must admit, the scenario that I described, is ideal/preferred and I was fortunate to have done it in the past. Reality, though, is something else and plans has to adapt. As an example, I will use my trip to Kgalagadi in June this year.

The Kgalagadi trip was a father-Son trip and I was fortunate that 2 of my sons could join me on the trip. I picked them up in Centurion and this was my/our itinerary:
    1) Left Nelspruit Friday afternoon to Centurion where I stayed over at one of the boys (333km)
    2) Centurion to Augrabies (947km)
    3) Augrabies to Twee Riviere (Kgalagadi) (386km)
    4) Started at Twee Riviere on the Nossob Eco Route to Witgat Camp (Nossob Eco Route) (386km)
    5) Rosyntjiebos Camp (Nossob Eco Route) (64km)
    6) Swartbas Camp (Nossob Eco Route) (58km)
    7) Nossob Eco Route finished and we stayed over at Nossob Camp (99km)
    8) Nossob to Twee Riviere (km) (172km)
    9) Twee Riviere to Centurion (944km)
    10) Centurion to Nelspruit (333km)

As can be seen this trip was 10 nights with 7 in the Kgalagadi. On the way their I slept over in Centurion as I had to pick up the boys. I really wanted to take them to Augrabies, hence the long haul (933km) there from Centurion. We planned to stay over at Witsand on our way back. But after a very relaxing couple of days in the bush, the longing back to the daugter/grand daugter "forced us to return a day earlier, hence the drive directly from Twee Riviere to Centurion. Made easier with more than 1 driver. The distance from Nelspruit to Twee Riviere is 1283km. If pushed for time, you can do it in 2 days i.e. 744km to Kameelboom Lodge (Vryburg) and then 544km to Twee Riviere. Ideally you would want to split this up in 2 nights 3 days. If you do the same on your return, it gives you 4 nights, 6 days of travelling there and back. Now, depending on how much time you have, you can spend 5 nights and 4 days in Kgalagadi. Obviously you can add a day or so by taking it away from the travel there and back. A night or 2 at Witsand, either on your way there or back, is also something to consider. Red Sands, near Kuruman is also a good stop-over.

To answer your question, Yes I would do it again, it is worth it. Especially the Nossob Eco Route. It was just such an amazing experience to do this guided trip. It was even more special as this was the 1st father-son trip we did.

We did something similar to the Richtersveld in 2014
    1) Nelspruit to Vryburg (758km)
    2) Port Nolloth (950km)
    3) Richtersberg (212km)
    4) Richtersberg (0km)
    5) Kokerboomkloof (33km)
    6) Kokerboomkloof (19km)
    7) Kokerboomkloof (3km)
    8) Port Nolloth (231km)
    9) Kuruman (771km)
    10) Nelspruit (893km)

So from the above it can be seen that I AM also at times "forced" to travel longer distances per day. Fortunately I like driving and I do a lot of driving (413k km in the last 7 years or so). So to do certain destinations, I would rather travel longer than not do it at all. I do however try to make a sleep over spot more than just that, where I can. Like driving a few extra kilometers to sleep over in Witsand for instance rather than just next to the road somewhere in a generic camp site.

Happy planning.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/11/18 at 10:43 AM.

If I drive more than 800km to a destination, I prefer the 1:7 ration. Shorter then 1:5 will do. I have however when I was younger driven down to Jbay from JHB on a Saturday and came back the Sunday (to drop off a puppy) and once for 2 days to visit my parents. (I had a lekker platkar back then) ... but now there are too many cowboys on the road to race down to a destination.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast