F1 - 2020 - Page 171

Page 171 of 195 FirstFirst ... 71 121 146 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3894

Thread: F1 - 2020

Default Re: F1 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    You beat me too it, did a bit of an investigation myself. In the last 2 attachments it looks like the barrier did initially deflect Grosjeans car however it looks like the nose of car did manage to pierce through just far enough to hit one of the poles that support the barrier. It seems that once the nose hit the pole the chassis couldn't take it and split in half, forcing the nose through the barrier while the rear spun off in a different trajectory. I wonder now if that pole hadn't been there what the accident scene would look like.
    Your 4th photograph is significant.
    Although the path of the vehicle was at approx 30 deg to the barrier, the car itself was at right angles to the barrier as it hit the barrier.
    As the nose hit the barrier, the rear rotated in such a way that it went to the left of the front wheels. That is why the rear section ended up facing the way it did.

Deflection along the barrier was thus virtually impossible.

Had the car skidded the other way (rear wheels to the right of the front wheels) the dinamics of the impact would probably have been totally different.
    In that instance the car would most probably have been deflected along the barrier.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 436 000 km)

Sent from my iPhone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post

I did notice on Sunday post race, the Covid protocols were quite lax. Ham was walking about, hugging people before he went back to station where they have the caps/watches and stuff they need for sponsors (and now Covid masks)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie-WP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Howie-WP View Post
    I did notice on Sunday post race, the Covid protocols were quite lax. Ham was walking about, hugging people before he went back to station where they have the caps/watches and stuff they need for sponsors (and now Covid masks)
    Well spotted.

My wife picked up the same thing and mentioned this to me this afternoon.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Over 50G is dangerous territory.

The fact that Grosjean stayed conscious was a feat on it's own.

Had the barrier not deformed, the G may have been higher and he might have had brain injuries.

The barriers were built to spec - what was deemed safe.

This incident will be heavily scrutineered and safety measures will be adapted - even for this upcoming race, I'm sure.
    Had the barrier not deformed, the car would not have pierced it and come to a sudden dead stop. It would have bounced off and come to rest further down the track with much lower G forces at impact with the barrier when bouncing off than coming to a dead stop in (through) the barrier.
    Mike Lauterbach

from: https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/01/...ireball-crash/

"... An experienced race car engineer spoken to by RaceFans suggested the mere fact that the rear end containing the power unit and fuel cell (estimated at weighing over 350kg in total) did not follow the front half through the barriers had helped save Grosjean, for it reduced the overall impact by almost 50%.

Equally, the same source added, the fracture had left the fuel cell exposed. Horrific though the fire was, the consequences of nearly 110kg of fuel flowing about the crash area while the front end blazed away are too ghastly to contemplate.

As Ross Brawn indicated in the immediate aftermath, it appears leaked fuel from collector tank, situated beneath the cockpit, caused the blaze, likely ignited by severed high voltage cabling and friction sparks. The tank and plumbing contain around 10 litres. Imagine the ferocity of a blaze potentially 10 times that intensity. ..."
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

So the driver of the day went to Grojean!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...IreCgeh5c.html

Really?

Qualified second last again, did 2 corners and veered across the track crashing into someone he had forgotten was there, and nearly killed himself in the process.

And that boys and girls, shows us why democracy is a flawed sytem. (Well that, together with that time when people voted for the name of the UK's flagship scientific research vessel, to be "Boaty Mcboatface" - which is a true story BTW...)

Look, I'm not insinuating communism or dictatorships are the way to go, but let's rather let people who know a thing or two, do the decision making.... (Brexit another classic example)

Like the end of the year Autosports Team Principals driver of the year award. Now that carries some weight! Clever people, intimately involved, done anonymously, able to take the superior machinery factor out of the equation.
    Hell, that means more in my books, than the drivers championship standings....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    This will be really good. Bottas might be crapping his pants. I wished that Hamilton could have driven with Russel.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...7RZzdzmxs.html
    Sent from my iPhone

This was my replacement for Kubica, but businessman Latifi got the job.

Happy to see Aitken in F1!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...JHcEadmI1.html
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Absolutely fantastic. Go get them George, waiting sometime now to see what he can do. This is exciting news. Really exciting.
    Jaco Nell

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

This will be really good. Bottas might be crapping his pants. I wished that Hamilton could have driven with Russel.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...7RZzdzmxs.html

What a fantastic opportunity for Georgie-boy!!!

This will show the world what he is capable of and most likely cement his potential seat at Merc in the future (when Bottas could be released)
    He stands a chance to score his first points in F1.
    He will be able to battle with Max and the big boys in-front of the race

This is possibly the most exciting race I am looking for, just to see how George handles the pressures and the fans' expectations
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques_Nel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    What a fantastic opportunity for Georgie-boy!!!

This will show the world what he is capable of and most likely cement his potential seat at Merc in the future (when Bottas could be released)
    He stands a chance to score his first points in F1.
    He will be able to battle with Max and the big boys in-front of the race

This is possibly the most exciting race I am looking for, just to see how George handles the pressures and the fans' expectations
    Agree 100%.

Wonder what the cancel culture will say now. Will they possibly secretly watching the race and indulge with excitement while keeping a straight face on the forum.

Brilliant!
    Sent from my iPhone

I hope for Russell's sake he don't have to lead behind a safety car.

Agree 100%.

Wonder what the cancel culture will say now. Will they possibly secretly watching the race and indulge with excitement while keeping a straight face on the forum.

Brilliant!
    hahahaha, true, but then again, will they eventually publicly admit to having watched and enjoyed the race?
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Great news about Russel but it must also be a bitter sweet moment. Everyone has been saying all along what a good car the MB is, so he will be under a lot of pressure to perform. I just hope he is up to it. Very very big oppertunity for him. If he beats Bottas it will be really something.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Great news about Russel but it must also be a bitter sweet moment. Everyone has been saying all along what a good car the MB is, so he will be under a lot of pressure to perform. I just hope he is up to it. Very very big oppertunity for him. If he beats Bottas it will be really something.
    Agreed. Imagine the pressure Bottas will feel........somehow this season kept on producing and entertaining. Lot of this season to take into the future (eapecially some tracks - the old ones...). If the young Mr Russel gets his ducks in a row this weekend, he will light up the media (and this thread). My toes are curling with anticipation.
    Jaco Nell

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

About the crash and F1 safety. I seem to recall that there is onboard fire extinguisher, that should deploy in a crash or something similar. I am most likely wrong and read about it somewhere else.
    Does anyone know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    So the driver of the day went to Grojean!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...IreCgeh5c.html

Really?

Qualified second last again, did 2 corners and veered across the track crashing into someone he had forgotten was there, and nearly killed himself in the process.

And that boys and girls, shows us why democracy is a flawed sytem. (Well that, together with that time when people voted for the name of the UK's flagship scientific research vessel, to be "Boaty Mcboatface" - which is a true story BTW...)

Look, I'm not insinuating communism or dictatorships are the way to go, but let's rather let people who know a thing or two, do the decision making.... (Brexit another classic example)

Like the end of the year Autosports Team Principals driver of the year award. Now that carries some weight! Clever people, intimately involved, done anonymously, able to take the superior machinery factor out of the equation.
    Hell, that means more in my books, than the drivers championship standings....
    It's driver of the day, not drive of the day
    For what he went through, I reckon he was driver of the day......100%
    FJC - Just Cruising

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post: