F1 - 2020 - Page 50

Page 50 of 118 FirstFirst ... 25 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 75 100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2349

Thread: F1 - 2020

Default Re: F1 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    Stewards dont have access to telemetry regarding steering angles as such. They just have a vast array of video footage (during the race).

Hi Shady, I will have to disagree with you on this, The stewards do have access to some telemetry data for each car and they use this, in conjunction with the massive amounts of video footage we have no access to, to determine the outcome of their investigations.

How will they determine if a car was speeding in the pitlane during safety car?
    How will they determine if a car lifted off during a yellow flagged sector?
    Just to name a few...

The teams also have access to each other's data (to a degree) as they are able to, in real time, overlay their car's track data with another's to compare on where they need to focus on as confirmed my moaner, sorry, Horner.

I have a feeling there are certain data classified as "Classified" and only available to the team, then some to the team and stewards and then data available to all the teams. Just my thinking.

As for the Hamilton/Albon incident. The stewards have to decide on the penalty, not me as an armchair enthusiast
    1. It was immediately after the safety car when Albon attacked and was very close (not the usual 10/11 seconds) gap
    2. LH was on the hard, slow, white walled tires and Albon on the soft,fast, Red tires, so Albon would have had the advantage in speed and grip
    3. Lewis was on the racing line and left a car's width for Albon on the outside
    4. At no point (watching the video footage) did LH steer left into Albon and from my perspective, did not increase his speed to have the car step out to the left. There was no malicious intent to cause an accident.
    5. Albon was a half a car's length infront of LH and had the advantage

Alex , by his own admission during post race interview, was "on the edge already" (meaning the track) and had nowhere to go and it was up to Lewis to have the crash or not. So, Lewis kept on fighting and had his elbows out and got penalized.

Anyhoo, next race is this weekend and I am excited to see a more racy Hamilton.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    Hi Shady, I will have to disagree with you on this, The stewards do have access to some telemetry data for each car and they use this, in conjunction with the massive amounts of video footage we have no access to, to determine the outcome of their investigations.

How will they determine if a car was speeding in the pitlane during safety car?
    How will they determine if a car lifted off during a yellow flagged sector?
    Just to name a few...

The teams also have access to each other's data (to a degree) as they are able to, in real time, overlay their car's track data with another's to compare on where they need to focus on as confirmed my moaner, sorry, Horner.

I have a feeling there are certain data classified as "Classified" and only available to the team, then some to the team and stewards and then data available to all the teams. Just my thinking.

As for the Hamilton/Albon incident. The stewards have to decide on the penalty, not me as an armchair enthusiast
    1. It was immediately after the safety car when Albon attacked and was very close (not the usual 10/11 seconds) gap
    2. LH was on the hard, slow, white walled tires and Albon on the soft,fast, Red tires, so Albon would have had the advantage in speed and grip
    3. Lewis was on the racing line and left a car's width for Albon on the outside
    4. At no point (watching the video footage) did LH steer left into Albon and from my perspective, did not increase his speed to have the car step out to the left. There was no malicious intent to cause an accident.
    5. Albon was a half a car's length infront of LH and had the advantage

Alex , by his own admission during post race interview, was "on the edge already" (meaning the track) and had nowhere to go and it was up to Lewis to have the crash or not. So, Lewis kept on fighting and had his elbows out and got penalized.

Anyhoo, next race is this weekend and I am excited to see a more racy Hamilton.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Sent from my iPhone

Wet qually and dry race?

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Wet qually and dry race?
    I hope to have a wet race and a dry quali. But for some reason the weather forecast in race is always wrong.

And PLEASE, if it rains, don't start behind the safety car.....!
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I noted the following drivers not kneeling. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/05/m...ntl/index.html
    Not attacking anyone on here and not wanting to make this a political "thing", but this is my opinion on the situation

It seems as if some of us are upset with what the political aspects taking place at the moment and everyone is placing it squarely at Lewis's feet, however, the Sky F1 interview between Simon Lazenby and Chase Carey shed some light into this. This is something that is one of the objectives of Carey's F1 management team since 2019 way before the BLM movement picked up speed.
    Lewis, during the interview with Martin Brundle, explained the process the Hamilton commission is following and what they want to achieve. Call LH whatever you want, an arrogant p*&k or whatever, but the way he conducted the interview, explaining the concept behind his "commission" and what he hopes to achieve is really inspirational. It is his legacy and he is standing up for what he believes in. Yes, The F1 objective is working with the Hamilton Commission to achieve it together and some may say it is LH taking advantage of the situation to push his own agenda. I respect everyone's opinion on this, but I for one support him even more and as a member of society at large, will do my best to follow suit and set the examples for others out there as well as the children growing up today.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacques_Nel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    Not attacking anyone on here and not wanting to make this a political "thing", but this is my opinion on the situation

It seems as if some of us are upset with what the political aspects taking place at the moment and everyone is placing it squarely at Lewis's feet, however, the Sky F1 interview between Simon Lazenby and Chase Carey shed some light into this. This is something that is one of the objectives of Carey's F1 management team since 2019 way before the BLM movement picked up speed.
    Lewis, during the interview with Martin Brundle, explained the process the Hamilton commission is following and what they want to achieve. Call LH whatever you want, an arrogant p*&k or whatever, but the way he conducted the interview, explaining the concept behind his "commission" and what he hopes to achieve is really inspirational. It is his legacy and he is standing up for what he believes in. Yes, The F1 objective is working with the Hamilton Commission to achieve it together and some may say it is LH taking advantage of the situation to push his own agenda. I respect everyone's opinion on this, but I for one support him even more and as a member of society at large, will do my best to follow suit and set the examples for others out there as well as the children growing up today.
    Well said.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    With all respect you are talking nonsense. Stewards have full access to the team telemetry including steering angle, throttle input etc.
    At the point of contact both drivers were on the throttle, all Lewis had to do was feather the throttle and the car would automatically tighten in the corner and he would not have made contact, he had the option to avoid contact but did not take it. Albon had already made the pass and had every right to expect Lewis would give him the space he needed.

Going into the corner Lewis chose the inside line and knew Albon was on his outside, he also knew that on the exit they would most likely be going side by side forcing him to take a narrower line. He chose to take a compromised line into the corner to defend and as such he was obliged to pick a speed that would allow him to leave Albon space - you cant have it both ways. By mid corner Albon was ahead and Lewis had lost the position. But he did not give up and steered under acceleration into Albon - thus Lewis's fault.

Go have a look at the Leclec/Sainz pass, Sainz knew the game was up mid corner and adjusted his line to give Leclerc space.
    Anton,
    I'm sure you have by far the most racing experience of anyone on this forum, but your point of view above is against the grain of what every racing driver in the situation LH was in would do. Every racing driver will lean on any driver putting his car on the outside. Exactly what Max did to Le Clerc last year at the very same corner to win the race! In my opinion Albon knew he was in trouble the moment he decided to take the outside line.

There is no difference in the Max/LC (last year) and LH/Albon (this year) incidents, just the outcome of the stewards rulings.
    Last edited by 340; 2020/07/06 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 340 View Post
    Anton,
    I'm sure you have by far the most racing experience of anyone on this forum, but your point of view above is against the grain of what every racing driver in the situation LH was in would do. Every racing driver will lean on any driver putting his car on the outside. Exactly what Max did to Le Clerc last year at the very same corner to win the race! In my opinion Albon knew he was in trouble the moment he decided to take the outside line.

There is no difference in the Max/LC (last year) and LH/Albon (this year) incidents, just the outcome of the stewards rulings.
    I have no doubt that if the positions were reversed, LH would still have been blamed by the same people. That's just the way it is!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Anton,

The Max/Leclerc pass was done at turn 3 (Remus curve). The difference is that no one spun off (no incident) and was let go, so to speak. The Hamilton/Albon incident was done at turn 4, Glosser curve whereby a car spun off.
    Sent from my iPhone

Just a bit out of the rumour mill
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/renaul...-announcement/

We might see another return of a former champ, let's see what comes out on Wednesday then.

A clue was given by Cyril (the Frensh) that the older mechanics (going back some 15 years) have worked with him before.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Anton,

Again I disagree with you, you need to know when you have lost the corner, from that point it becomes a damage limitation excersize to avoid losing further places before trying to take the position back. Its sounds all heroic to "never give up" but that's BS, some days you are beat and you come back to fight again. Lewis wasn't brave, he was simply lucky to not pick up any damage himself.

Max/LC last year was a 50/50 call (I did not agree with it though) and nothing like this accident, they were side by side coming out of the corner with neither one having a clear advantage. If we allow drivers to simply take the inside line and then drive the other car off the road we will have very boring racing. Albon's move was brave but he had pulled it off by being half a car length ahead of Lewis on exiting the corner. If the tables were turned we would have Brittish media calling for Albon's blood.

Have a look at this foto of last year's incident vs the LH/Albon photo posted earlier (PS remember Max was on the attack and Leclerc was defending.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g4move74_max-verstappen-charles-leclerc-2019-austrian-gp-f1_625x300_30_June_19.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	578534
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

I was about to post the same thing yesterday about Latifi. I thought that it wasn't worth it. But one must be reminded that the only reason why Latifi was given the Williams steering wheel instead of Aitken was because of the investment that Latifi's father would (eventually did) make into Williams. Latifi to me is just another Stroll scenario. But one needs to give credit for Stroll for upping his came over the last season or so.
    I am very happy to see Williams giving Aitken a chance. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Pmfc0ySVT.html
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Just a bit out of the rumour mill
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/renaul...-announcement/

We might see another return of a former champ, let's see what comes out on Wednesday then.

A clue was given by Cyril (the Frensh) that the older mechanics (going back some 15 years) have worked with him before.
    I seriously hope this becomes a reality.... Let's hope that Renault can produce the car that they did with his two titles.....
    Sent from my iPhone

I seriously hope this becomes a reality.... Let's hope that Renault can produce the car that they did with his two titles.....
    Wouldn't that be something!

But, I think it's too late for Renault during this engine era. Their best hope is 2022 with all the new rules, etc. They're not going to suddenly be competitive next year, and restart again the following year.
    Dirk Meintjies

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by OomD View Post
    Wouldn't that be something!

But, I think it's too late for Renault during this engine era. Their best hope is 2022 with all the new rules, etc. They're not going to suddenly be competitive next year, and restart again the following year.
    Correct, I think most teams would most likely carry the current design across to next year. I am still hopeful.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I have no doubt that if the positions were reversed, LH would still have been blamed by the same people. That's just the way it is!
    and you'd be wrong. Sorry to labor the point but here is the sequence of events in pictures:
    On turn it Albon is alread alongside

Name:	ham1.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	578563

By the apex he was already ahead and he had the right to take the racing line

Name:	ham2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	578564

Point of contact, Albon was on the limit of the track thus Lewis did not give him the required space

Name:	ham3.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	578565

Another angle just before contact, look at the trajectory of Albon vs Lewis.

Name:	ham4.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	578566

Just after contact, Lewis is still moving further out - no way he had ever intended to leave space for Albon

Name:	ham5.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	578567

Now that he has to avoid a spinning Albon he has the ability to take a tighter line.

Name:	ham7.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	578568
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

The winners and losers of the Austrian GP.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ax2DpHPTB.html
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2020/07/06 at 03:40 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

If Renault sign Alonso - I just do not understand how this will work for them in terms of continuity. Alonso is already 38(?) and will not be cutting-edge competitive much longer - maybe not even now. (again, please not looking for a debate here, I have often remarked that once past 35 in the modern era, drivers start losing tenths here and there).

Why sign a driver that will need replacement within 1 or 2 seasons?Unless you want to tap into his experience and use him more for R & D than anything else.

But Alonso is not the kind of chap who will take a backseat, in fact I believe he will demand a NR 1 status. So all in Alonso not making sense. (and I know that in his day he was probably unmatched for raw pace and doggedness).

I only got to watch the re-run last night and just a few remarks.

Lando, here comes a future WC. And I have been singing his praises from early last year. Sainz (who I also like a lot) must surely wonder how the hell he will get a Ferrari past Lando's McLaren next year.

Give Russel a competitive car and he will be a consistent top 6 finisher - probably and likely another future WC.

Seb, can somebody please set fire to his contract with Ferrari and sent him home, his fall from grace is not pleasant viewing.

Lec, got the Ferrari into 2nd, I have no clue how he did it. (I did watch the race, just saying).

Max, what a shame. The only driver who can go toe-to-toe with Lewis this year, keeping in mind how bad the Ferrari's actually are, and for that reason discounting Lec from having a go at Lewis.

Albon, he will just file that one and not make the same mistake again. The mistake being impatient.

Bottas, enjoy the moment chap, Lewis ain't gonna have this for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    If Renault sign Alonso - I just do not understand how this will work for them in terms of continuity. Alonso is already 38(?) and will not be cutting-edge competitive much longer - maybe not even now. (again, please not looking for a debate here, I have often remarked that once past 35 in the modern era, drivers start losing tenths here and there).

Why sign a driver that will need replacement within 1 or 2 seasons?Unless you want to tap into his experience and use him more for R & D than anything else.

But Alonso is not the kind of chap who will take a backseat, in fact I believe he will demand a NR 1 status. So all in Alonso not making sense. (and I know that in his day he was probably unmatched for raw pace and doggedness).

I only got to watch the re-run last night and just a few remarks.

Lando, here comes a future WC. And I have been singing his praises from early last year. Sainz (who I also like a lot) must surely wonder how the hell he will get a Ferrari past Lando's McLaren next year.

Give Russel a competitive car and he will be a consistent top 6 finisher - probably and likely another future WC.

Seb, can somebody please set fire to his contract with Ferrari and sent him home, his fall from grace is not pleasant viewing.

Lec, got the Ferrari into 2nd, I have no clue how he did it. (I did watch the race, just saying).

Max, what a shame. The only driver who can go toe-to-toe with Lewis this year, keeping in mind how bad the Ferrari's actually are, and for that reason discounting Lec from having a go at Lewis.

Albon, he will just file that one and not make the same mistake again. The mistake being impatient.

Bottas, enjoy the moment chap, Lewis ain't gonna have this for too long.
    Hypothetically speaking, if Max was still in the race - he would have made Hamilton break his gearbox. There would have been no way that Hamilton would have survived with Max on him like a cheap suit. Maybe at Styria, as I don't see Merc having a remedy for that problem, unless they remove all those curbs.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2020/07/06 at 03:54 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Hypothetically speaking, if my grandma had a beard, she would have been my grandpa.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Page 50 of 118 FirstFirst ... 25 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 75 100 ... LastLast