To sell or not to sell - Jeep





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    42
    Posts
    110

    Default To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Hi All,

    been reading a lot of threads here on retirement, and on cars and such, and I value this communities common sense and experience.

    now I am not near retirement yet, but as I have reached my early 40's (42) its obviously been playing a big part on my mind, and I am doing a lot more about it.

    anyways, onto my question. I have a jeep Sahara JK 2013 2 door, she has a full service history, been modded and modded well, only by zone, and alloffroad, and any small thing wrong I address immediately.

    I have been mulling over what to do for a number of months now. as I do not get out off roading all that often, or as often as I like.

    I am 3 payments away from paying her off, the last payment is the residual (hugely depressing, learnt my lesson) and I saved up for it and will not be refinancing.

    the jeep only has 70 000km on the clock and I literally do 400-600km a month on average.

    I have been seriously considering selling her / trading her in on a small car such as a decent model new polo.not top range GTI, but not bottom of the range.

    depending on trade in (Shocking probably round 230k) or whether I sell private (probably a lot more but with the added headaches and patience) , and use (some) of the cash I saved for residual I should be able to settle the car cash. providing me with a new car and warranty and service plan for the next 4 years or so.

    Current costs to maintain jeep (services/fuel/insurance) - R 4150 pm this excludes the actual payment of the jeep
    Costs to maintain polo or similar - R 1900-2100 pm

    its a tearjerker for me as I have spent a lot on the jeep build:

    35" tyres and rims (less than a year old)
    4.88 regearing (less than a year old)
    2.5 inch Terraflex lift and falcon shocks (less than a year old)
    front and rear bumpers
    rock sliders

    and much more over the years

    I keep playing both scenarios over in my head, and logically the polo or similar small car seems sensible, my heart says jeep, take the hit on the residual, and ride it till the wheels fall off. if there is spares for the next 10 years.

    I do not want anymore car repayments, everything I have these days is going into savings, as I have cleared most other debt, bar a few small things.

    any opinions on what you would do or consider in this type of situation ?

    ps:

    no kids to carry around, its just me and the lady, and dogs, I mountain bike, hike, and starting with triathlons, so the cars uses, are to gym and training and some events and holidays, I have my own company and work largely from home, hence the low mileage per month.
    Last edited by Geared; 2019/11/11 at 06:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,382

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    With such low mileage per month and a so short a period to settle I would keep her for a year and then maybe ask the question again then.

    This will give you time to enjoy the payment holiday from having finished paying her off.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

    FJ: One day when I am big

    Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,090

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    4x4 is not a daily drive in town. If there is no justifiable use then sell. If there is justifiable use for holidays and weekends then keep it and get an economical daily. Don't waste your money on a new vehicle. Buy 2nd hand cheap job. If it breaks so what. You have Jeep to go around for few days while some mechanic fixes the daily. Total cost of a cheap daily is far less than new. Into the calculation remember to include depreciation, insurance, tracking and all similar costs, which many people totally exclude in their calculations. And remember those maintenance plans are not cheap. They are horribly expensive. Find one or two good mechanics to do fixing if required. Selecting the daily correctly there will not be many trips to the mechanic.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    4x4 is not a daily drive in town. If there is no justifiable use then sell. If there is justifiable use for holidays and weekends then keep it and get an economical daily. Don't waste your money on a new vehicle. Buy 2nd hand cheap job. If it breaks so what. You have Jeep to go around for few days while some mechanic fixes the daily. Total cost of a cheap daily is far less than new. Into the calculation remember to include depreciation, insurance, tracking and all similar costs, which many people totally exclude in their calculations. And remember those maintenance plans are not cheap. They are horribly expensive. Find one or two good mechanics to do fixing if required. Selecting the daily correctly there will not be many trips to the mechanic.
    This is GOOD advice!!
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    joburg
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,217

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Wth all the extras seemingly not really impacting value, start advertising now for what you feel it's worth, it may take months (or never) to get what it's worth to you.
    Im in a similar situation, have a much extra'ed paid off Prado with low mileage that I thought should maybe make way for a lighter on fuel Hilux D/C, but what I've been offered it makes no sense getting rid of it and I couldn't really bother with the scams associated with a PVT sale.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    This is GOOD advice!!
    agreed
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  7. #7

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    I found myself in a similar situation 18 months ago. Had a 2006 Hilux bakkie 4x4 with the 2.7 petrol engine. Very heavy on fuel and was always worried about it getting stolen. Sold it and for virtually no extra cost bought a 2015 Jimny with very low mileage. Took out the back seats and there was just enough space for the camping equipment. Very easy to drive around town and over speed bumps, light on fuel and cheap to maintain/insure. Fun vehicle to drive. Little slow on the open road but still manage to cruise at 120 for the most part. Absolutely brilliant offroad - can go anywhere. Sometimes miss the space and power of the bakkie but otherwise very happy. Going to stick with Jimny's.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,616

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Give it a another look in 12 to 18 months time after the last payment.
    Sent from my iPhone


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mafikeng
    Age
    63
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Morning, I had the same problem (jeep) but only 20 months left to work.

    My Rubicon was a 2014 and well modded with all sorts of nice stuff. Also sitting at the end of the term and a fat residual. I only do 3km to work and same back. But we do a lot of touring and nice holidays.

    I traded the Rubi in on a 2011 FJ Cruiser 4.0 petrol. Can still go anywhere, a lot more comfort, very cheap insurance R399 vs R900pm, lighter on fuel by quite a margin, and repairs/spares can be bought anywhere. Loved my jeep, but find the FJ a lot more practical. And it's so fugly it's not theft worthy.

    Miss the look of the jeep, but prefer the comfort of the FJ
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,616

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Morning, I had the same problem (jeep) but only 20 months left to work.

    My Rubicon was a 2014 and well modded with all sorts of nice stuff. Also sitting at the end of the term and a fat residual. I only do 3km to work and same back. But we do a lot of touring and nice holidays.

    I traded the Rubi in on a 2011 FJ Cruiser 4.0 petrol. Can still go anywhere, a lot more comfort, very cheap insurance R399 vs R900pm, lighter on fuel by quite a margin, and repairs/spares can be bought anywhere. Loved my jeep, but find the FJ a lot more practical. And it's so fugly it's not theft worthy.

    Miss the look of the jeep, but prefer the comfort of the FJ
    Well - nice advice.

    Can you share the fuel figures with us?
    Sent from my iPhone


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    42
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Thank you all,

    exactly the issue I have been tossing up.

    the polo for example, I get to retain 70k of the residual amount in the bank

    in both scenarios I will have no more repayments , just one I end up with my jeep (No warranty etc) and the other the polo (new and with 70k in the bank and service and warranty coverage for 4 years)

    I have been asking myself will I be 4x4 enough to justify the extra fuel expenses and insurance per month, this works out at a 2000 difference per month in hard costs, I have also factored in 1 tyre rotation, and yearly services and brakes etc into the 4150 vs 1800 month to month costs as well.

    Love love love the FJ cruiser, as I do the hilux double cabs, also thought the FJ was the ugly duckling but man did it grow on me, the reason I haven't considered the FJ and or hilux, was the cost, I didn't want to refinance anything anymore if possible, and to find a decent second hand low mileage unit of either had me looking well into the 400k region again and above, and well out of my plan of no more finance.
    Last edited by Geared; 2019/11/11 at 09:29 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mafikeng
    Age
    63
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Well - nice advice.

    Can you share the fuel figures with us?
    Just a few records from my logbook. These are actual figures at the pump as the FJ does not have a consumption meter. I always run 93 octane except where not available like at the coast. I normally drive at 120kmh on the speedo so it is 112kmh on GPS speed
    The Cruiser is a 2011 model with 144000km on it. No mods apart from the roofrack.

    26/05 = 12.73 Open road light load
    27/05 12.89 Ditto
    13/06 12.7 Ditto
    13/06 13.69 Ditto
    17/06 18.69 Full trailer
    14/07 13.39 Mixed driving - town and open road
    06/08 15.12 Bots to Zambia to Zim: Trailer full inccl 160l water, 80 litres fuel and all camping/food for a 3 week trip. Roofrack with spare wheel and other camping stuff on top. Heavily loaded
    06/08 15.31 Ditto
    09/08 16.95 Ditto
    10/08 15.87 Ditto
    12/08 15.71 Ditto
    13/08 15.97 Ditto
    14/08 15.16 Ditto
    18/08 16.63 Ditto
    20/0814.71 Ditto
    29/09 12.54 Open road, roofrack only
    22/10 14.94 Empty trailer for service, roofrack on
    08/11 15.14 Empty trailer, no roofrack, very bad headwinds. Often in 4th gear


    By the way, The Rubicon traded in at R315k and the FJ was bought at R289k. The logic was that even with taking it over 48mnths, the actual amount to be paid was in fact identical to the sum of the remaining payments plus the residual. So in real terms there was a saving of R1500 per month incl insurance (excl fuel).
    Last edited by Ubbo; 2019/11/11 at 10:23 AM.
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,616

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Just a few records from my logbook. These are actual figures at the pump as the FJ does not have a consumption meter. I always run 93 octane except where not available like at the coast. I normally drive at 120kmh on the speedo so it is 112kmh on GPS speed
    The Cruiser is a 2011 model with 144000km on it. No mods apart from the roofrack.

    26/05 = 12.73 Open road light load
    27/05 12.89 Ditto
    13/06 12.7 Ditto
    13/06 13.69 Ditto
    17/06 18.69 Full trailer
    14/07 13.39 Mixed driving - town and open road
    06/08 15.12 Bots to Zambia to Zim: Trailer full inccl 160l water, 80 litres fuel and all camping/food for a 3 week trip. Roofrack with spare wheel and other camping stuff on top. Heavily loaded
    06/08 15.31 Ditto
    09/08 16.95 Ditto
    10/08 15.87 Ditto
    12/08 15.71 Ditto
    13/08 15.97 Ditto
    14/08 15.16 Ditto
    18/08 16.63 Ditto
    20/0814.71 Ditto
    29/09 12.54 Open road, roofrack only
    22/10 14.94 Empty trailer for service, roofrack on
    08/11 15.14 Empty trailer, no roofrack, very bad headwinds. Often in 4th gear


    By the way, The Rubicon traded in at R315k and the FJ was bought at R289k. The logic was that even with taking it over 48mnths, the actual amount to be paid was in fact identical to the sum of the remaining payments plus the residual. So in real terms there was a saving of R1500 per month incl insurance (excl fuel).
    Thanks for the figures. So these figures are better than the Jeep V6 Pentastar?
    Sent from my iPhone


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    benoni
    Age
    59
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    where are u insuring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Morning, I had the same problem (jeep) but only 20 months left to work.My Rubicon was a 2014 and well modded with all sorts of nice stuff. Also sitting at the end of the term and a fat residual. I only do 3km to work and same back. But we do a lot of touring and nice holidays.I traded the Rubi in on a 2011 FJ Cruiser 4.0 petrol. Can still go anywhere, a lot more comfort, very cheap insurance R399 vs R900pm, lighter on fuel by quite a margin, and repairs/spares can be bought anywhere. Loved my jeep, but find the FJ a lot more practical. And it's so fugly it's not theft worthy. Miss the look of the jeep, but prefer the comfort of the FJ
    Chris Stockwell
    Toyota FJ cruiser
    BMW 1600 GT M/Cycle


    "If it ain't fun, I ain't doin it."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mafikeng
    Age
    63
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by ryzen View Post
    where are u insuring?
    Ryzen,

    I've insured my car with Cross Country 4x4. Been with them since 2013
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    29
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Geared View Post
    Any opinions on what you would do or consider in this type of situation ?
    I think you're a fairly young chap at 42, if you feel that changing vehicles is beneficial for your retirement preparations, Definitely yes, R4150pm in car maintenance is not a good look for retirement prep.


    I don't believe i'm old/experienced enough to give advice but from my observation a 2 door jeep isn't much of a usable vehicle, It's a toy for adventure spirited individuals.
    Having to maintain a 'toy' whilst prepping for retirement may not be such a hot idea. Retirement prep days are mostly about long term investments.


    If I were in your position, I would look at replacing it with a vehicle that is more usable, more reliable and requires less maintenance.
    Something that will last you not only for the next 4 years but till retirement and beyond.

    The first thing that pops to mind is a Land Cruiser(if you're not downsizing) or corolla(if you're are downsizing), These aren't recommendations, just vehicles that pop into mind when one is going on a long term investment lifestyle.


    If you're going to risk possible theft by getting a polo then why not get a corolla, its more usable, most likely more reliable, maybe cheaper to insure and is less disposable(will probably serve you for over 10 years)


    Also when buying a VW/audi product or any other small efficient car, be aware of the issues that direct injection brings.


    See the link below about direct injection:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVpIglgE0pk
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 Sahara Black
    2008 Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Base White
    2004 VW Touareg R5 TDi Tip White Air - Facelifted - SOLD
    It's Either You Get Your Hands Dirty Or Let Your Hard Earned Money Get Dirty Instead #4x4community


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,513

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    I have to say, that except for fuel consumption my TJ has been the most reliable 4x4 I have had up to date.

    The Defender was well um not that reliable

    The Triton couldn't handle the off road abuse.

    So my Jeep is like a pretty girl who does everything well but has a mayor drinking problem

    Actually fuel consumption doesn't have anything to do with reliability, so the best 4x4 for me then
    Last edited by Jeanvn; 2019/11/12 at 09:21 AM.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    I have to say, that except for fuel consumption my TJ has been the most reliable 4x4 I have had up to date.
    I have a cunning plan. TJ with manual AX-5 or AX-15 (most probably AX-15 here in ZA), and a nice old school 2.8 to 3.2L Jap TDi engine..........

    But I can't find a TJ without an engine.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,513

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    That could be a rather awesome vehicle, will look out for a broken TJ and let you know if I see one.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,894

    Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    That could be a rather awesome vehicle, will look out for a broken TJ and let you know if I see one.
    thanks, considering they're only around R100k in pristine condition, and old trashed TJ should be less than a Disco1
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •