To sell or not to sell - Jeep

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default To sell or not to sell - Jeep

Hi All,

been reading a lot of threads here on retirement, and on cars and such, and I value this communities common sense and experience.

now I am not near retirement yet, but as I have reached my early 40's (42) its obviously been playing a big part on my mind, and I am doing a lot more about it.

anyways, onto my question. I have a jeep Sahara JK 2013 2 door, she has a full service history, been modded and modded well, only by zone, and alloffroad, and any small thing wrong I address immediately.

I have been mulling over what to do for a number of months now. as I do not get out off roading all that often, or as often as I like.

I am 3 payments away from paying her off, the last payment is the residual (hugely depressing, learnt my lesson) and I saved up for it and will not be refinancing.

the jeep only has 70 000km on the clock and I literally do 400-600km a month on average.

I have been seriously considering selling her / trading her in on a small car such as a decent model new polo.not top range GTI, but not bottom of the range.

depending on trade in (Shocking probably round 230k) or whether I sell private (probably a lot more but with the added headaches and patience) , and use (some) of the cash I saved for residual I should be able to settle the car cash. providing me with a new car and warranty and service plan for the next 4 years or so.

Current costs to maintain jeep (services/fuel/insurance) - R 4150 pm this excludes the actual payment of the jeep
    Costs to maintain polo or similar - R 1900-2100 pm

its a tearjerker for me as I have spent a lot on the jeep build:

35" tyres and rims (less than a year old)
    4.88 regearing (less than a year old)
    2.5 inch Terraflex lift and falcon shocks (less than a year old)
    front and rear bumpers
    rock sliders

and much more over the years

I keep playing both scenarios over in my head, and logically the polo or similar small car seems sensible, my heart says jeep, take the hit on the residual, and ride it till the wheels fall off. if there is spares for the next 10 years.

I do not want anymore car repayments, everything I have these days is going into savings, as I have cleared most other debt, bar a few small things.

any opinions on what you would do or consider in this type of situation ?

ps:

no kids to carry around, its just me and the lady, and dogs, I mountain bike, hike, and starting with triathlons, so the cars uses, are to gym and training and some events and holidays, I have my own company and work largely from home, hence the low mileage per month.
    Last edited by Geared; 2019/11/11 at 06:25 AM.

Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

With such low mileage per month and a so short a period to settle I would keep her for a year and then maybe ask the question again then.

This will give you time to enjoy the payment holiday from having finished paying her off.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

4x4 is not a daily drive in town. If there is no justifiable use then sell. If there is justifiable use for holidays and weekends then keep it and get an economical daily. Don't waste your money on a new vehicle. Buy 2nd hand cheap job. If it breaks so what. You have Jeep to go around for few days while some mechanic fixes the daily. Total cost of a cheap daily is far less than new. Into the calculation remember to include depreciation, insurance, tracking and all similar costs, which many people totally exclude in their calculations. And remember those maintenance plans are not cheap. They are horribly expensive. Find one or two good mechanics to do fixing if required. Selecting the daily correctly there will not be many trips to the mechanic.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Give it a another look in 12 to 18 months time after the last payment.
    Sent from my iPhone

Morning, I had the same problem (jeep) but only 20 months left to work.

My Rubicon was a 2014 and well modded with all sorts of nice stuff. Also sitting at the end of the term and a fat residual. I only do 3km to work and same back. But we do a lot of touring and nice holidays.

I traded the Rubi in on a 2011 FJ Cruiser 4.0 petrol. Can still go anywhere, a lot more comfort, very cheap insurance R399 vs R900pm, lighter on fuel by quite a margin, and repairs/spares can be bought anywhere. Loved my jeep, but find the FJ a lot more practical. And it's so fugly it's not theft worthy.

Miss the look of the jeep, but prefer the comfort of the FJ
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Morning, I had the same problem (jeep) but only 20 months left to work.

My Rubicon was a 2014 and well modded with all sorts of nice stuff. Also sitting at the end of the term and a fat residual. I only do 3km to work and same back. But we do a lot of touring and nice holidays.

I traded the Rubi in on a 2011 FJ Cruiser 4.0 petrol. Can still go anywhere, a lot more comfort, very cheap insurance R399 vs R900pm, lighter on fuel by quite a margin, and repairs/spares can be bought anywhere. Loved my jeep, but find the FJ a lot more practical. And it's so fugly it's not theft worthy.

Miss the look of the jeep, but prefer the comfort of the FJ
    Well - nice advice.

Can you share the fuel figures with us?
    Sent from my iPhone

Thank you all,

exactly the issue I have been tossing up.

the polo for example, I get to retain 70k of the residual amount in the bank

in both scenarios I will have no more repayments , just one I end up with my jeep (No warranty etc) and the other the polo (new and with 70k in the bank and service and warranty coverage for 4 years)

I have been asking myself will I be 4x4 enough to justify the extra fuel expenses and insurance per month, this works out at a 2000 difference per month in hard costs, I have also factored in 1 tyre rotation, and yearly services and brakes etc into the 4150 vs 1800 month to month costs as well.

Love love love the FJ cruiser, as I do the hilux double cabs, also thought the FJ was the ugly duckling but man did it grow on me, the reason I haven't considered the FJ and or hilux, was the cost, I didn't want to refinance anything anymore if possible, and to find a decent second hand low mileage unit of either had me looking well into the 400k region again and above, and well out of my plan of no more finance.
    Last edited by Geared; 2019/11/11 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Well - nice advice.

Can you share the fuel figures with us?
    Just a few records from my logbook. These are actual figures at the pump as the FJ does not have a consumption meter. I always run 93 octane except where not available like at the coast. I normally drive at 120kmh on the speedo so it is 112kmh on GPS speed
    The Cruiser is a 2011 model with 144000km on it. No mods apart from the roofrack.

26/05 = 12.73 Open road light load
    27/05 12.89 Ditto
    13/06 12.7 Ditto
    13/06 13.69 Ditto
    17/06 18.69 Full trailer
    14/07 13.39 Mixed driving - town and open road
    06/08 15.12 Bots to Zambia to Zim: Trailer full inccl 160l water, 80 litres fuel and all camping/food for a 3 week trip. Roofrack with spare wheel and other camping stuff on top. Heavily loaded
    06/08 15.31 Ditto
    09/08 16.95 Ditto
    10/08 15.87 Ditto
    12/08 15.71 Ditto
    13/08 15.97 Ditto
    14/08 15.16 Ditto
    18/08 16.63 Ditto
    20/0814.71 Ditto
    29/09 12.54 Open road, roofrack only
    22/10 14.94 Empty trailer for service, roofrack on
    08/11 15.14 Empty trailer, no roofrack, very bad headwinds. Often in 4th gear

By the way, The Rubicon traded in at R315k and the FJ was bought at R289k. The logic was that even with taking it over 48mnths, the actual amount to be paid was in fact identical to the sum of the remaining payments plus the residual. So in real terms there was a saving of R1500 per month incl insurance (excl fuel).
    Last edited by Ubbo; 2019/11/11 at 10:23 AM.
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Just a few records from my logbook. These are actual figures at the pump as the FJ does not have a consumption meter. I always run 93 octane except where not available like at the coast. I normally drive at 120kmh on the speedo so it is 112kmh on GPS speed
    The Cruiser is a 2011 model with 144000km on it. No mods apart from the roofrack.

26/05 = 12.73 Open road light load
    27/05 12.89 Ditto
    13/06 12.7 Ditto
    13/06 13.69 Ditto
    17/06 18.69 Full trailer
    14/07 13.39 Mixed driving - town and open road
    06/08 15.12 Bots to Zambia to Zim: Trailer full inccl 160l water, 80 litres fuel and all camping/food for a 3 week trip. Roofrack with spare wheel and other camping stuff on top. Heavily loaded
    06/08 15.31 Ditto
    09/08 16.95 Ditto
    10/08 15.87 Ditto
    12/08 15.71 Ditto
    13/08 15.97 Ditto
    14/08 15.16 Ditto
    18/08 16.63 Ditto
    20/0814.71 Ditto
    29/09 12.54 Open road, roofrack only
    22/10 14.94 Empty trailer for service, roofrack on
    08/11 15.14 Empty trailer, no roofrack, very bad headwinds. Often in 4th gear

By the way, The Rubicon traded in at R315k and the FJ was bought at R289k. The logic was that even with taking it over 48mnths, the actual amount to be paid was in fact identical to the sum of the remaining payments plus the residual. So in real terms there was a saving of R1500 per month incl insurance (excl fuel).
    Thanks for the figures. So these figures are better than the Jeep V6 Pentastar?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Thanks for the figures. So these figures are better than the Jeep V6 Pentastar?
    By quite a margin yes. With the 3.6 Pentastar and a smaller trailer the computer would say 16.6 litres/100 but the actual pump figures were closer to 18 on average. Town driving was bad at 17 to 18.

When I had my Conqueror Companion caravan, it would return 19-21 litres/100, and if you don't know, the Jeep is not made for towing. Power and torque curves are wrong and the engine just wants to scream - pulls like a train though.

The FJ redlines at 5500 so its a lazy beast, but tows mostly in top gear except for the hills
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

I am not a TAX expert but was under the impression if you own your own business you can write off the cost of the vehicle including fuel etc against TAX over a 3 year period,
    Can some one please comment on this.

You know what you have with the Jeep, you'll probably miss it in the near future if you let it go. What about a mint ~5 year old low-mileage reliable runabout like a Hyundai I20 or Ford Fiesta? You'll have all the luxuries you need, it would cost you about R100k and service centres/parts are plentiful and affordable. The Jeep then becomes your lifestyle vehicle.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Owning a wrangler will always be a heart and not a head decision.

One thing to take into account is that your Jeep has reached a point where the depreciation is mostly finished and should keep its value going forward. A new car will loose value again quickly.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

"Current costs to maintain jeep (services/fuel/insurance) - R 4150 pm this excludes the actual payment of the jeep"

600kms will give R1,200 fuel. You service once a year. That shouldn't be more than R5k = R450 / month.

R1,650 so far

Tyres should be negligible @ 7,200kms/year, but let's say R500 per month

So R2,000 for insurance?

Or how do I read your maths?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Geared View Post
    Any opinions on what you would do or consider in this type of situation ?
    I think you're a fairly young chap at 42, if you feel that changing vehicles is beneficial for your retirement preparations, Definitely yes, R4150pm in car maintenance is not a good look for retirement prep.

I don't believe i'm old/experienced enough to give advice but from my observation a 2 door jeep isn't much of a usable vehicle, It's a toy for adventure spirited individuals.
    Having to maintain a 'toy' whilst prepping for retirement may not be such a hot idea. Retirement prep days are mostly about long term investments.

If I were in your position, I would look at replacing it with a vehicle that is more usable, more reliable and requires less maintenance.
    Something that will last you not only for the next 4 years but till retirement and beyond.

The first thing that pops to mind is a Land Cruiser(if you're not downsizing) or corolla(if you're are downsizing), These aren't recommendations, just vehicles that pop into mind when one is going on a long term investment lifestyle.

If you're going to risk possible theft by getting a polo then why not get a corolla, its more usable, most likely more reliable, maybe cheaper to insure and is less disposable(will probably serve you for over 10 years)

Also when buying a VW/audi product or any other small efficient car, be aware of the issues that direct injection brings.

See the link below about direct injection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVpIglgE0pk
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 Sahara Black
    2008 Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Base White
    2004 VW Touareg R5 TDi Tip White Air - Facelifted - SOLD
    It's Either You Get Your Hands Dirty Or Let Your Hard Earned Money Get Dirty Instead #4x4community

Ubbo, thank you for all that detail, looks very similar to my jeep on fuel, and outstanding price at 289 000

Jeanvn man its hard, I walk back to my jeep after test driving various car, and I am like meh, and I walk to my jeep and my heart skips a beat.

Nigelgeast very correct, I take my repayments as expenses with SARS, I am a clinical nutritionist and exercise science background, what I know about tax and cars is scary haha

Jelo, I was a bit ambitious, and worked it out on a bit above to give me some leeway for anything else going wrong:

jeep

1200 insurance
    2000 fuel
    950 was set aside per month for annual service, one tyre rotation of 25 000 and brakes x 2 sets over 4 years

Polo or similar

850-1000 for similar fuel /milage
    600-800 insurance
    Tyres ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    4x4 is not a daily drive in town. If there is no justifiable use then sell. If there is justifiable use for holidays and weekends then keep it and get an economical daily. Don't waste your money on a new vehicle. Buy 2nd hand cheap job. If it breaks so what. You have Jeep to go around for few days while some mechanic fixes the daily. Total cost of a cheap daily is far less than new. Into the calculation remember to include depreciation, insurance, tracking and all similar costs, which many people totally exclude in their calculations. And remember those maintenance plans are not cheap. They are horribly expensive. Find one or two good mechanics to do fixing if required. Selecting the daily correctly there will not be many trips to the mechanic.
    This is GOOD advice!!
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Wth all the extras seemingly not really impacting value, start advertising now for what you feel it's worth, it may take months (or never) to get what it's worth to you.
    Im in a similar situation, have a much extra'ed paid off Prado with low mileage that I thought should maybe make way for a lighter on fuel Hilux D/C, but what I've been offered it makes no sense getting rid of it and I couldn't really bother with the scams associated with a PVT sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Geared View Post
    Jelo, I was a bit ambitious, and worked it out on a bit above to give me some leeway for anything else going wrong:

jeep

1200 insurance
    2000 fuel
    950 was set aside per month for annual service, one tyre rotation of 25 000 and brakes x 2 sets over 4 years

Polo or similar

850-1000 for similar fuel /milage
    600-800 insurance
    Tyres ?
    Less than 5km/L? Good grief. Something very wrong there.

Polo will go through a set of front tyres every year, rear set every 2 years. So 3 sets every 2 years, 6 sets every 4 years.
    Insurance will never EVER be that low for a Polo by the way. Phone for a quote.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    This is GOOD advice!!
    agreed
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast