To sell or not to sell - Jeep - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: To sell or not to sell - Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Less than 5km/L? Good grief. Something very wrong there.

Polo will go through a set of front tyres every year, rear set every 2 years. So 3 sets every 2 years, 6 sets every 4 years.
    Insurance will never EVER be that low for a Polo by the way. Phone for a quote.
    5km/l = 35 inch muds = worth it
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    5km/l = 35 inch muds = worth it
    Just wondering then why you need 35 inch muds on a commuter car?

More reason to keep it and buy a low kilo second hand platkar as Jouko said.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    You know what you have with the Jeep, you'll probably miss it in the near future if you let it go. What about a mint ~5 year old low-mileage reliable runabout like a Hyundai I20 or Ford Fiesta? You'll have all the luxuries you need, it would cost you about R100k and service centres/parts are plentiful and affordable. The Jeep then becomes your lifestyle vehicle.
    I made sort of that move around 4 years ago.

Had a Triton bakkie, that I could trade on my 2006 Wrangler TJ.
    I then bought a light on fuel platkar for the daily.

Benefit was I immediately had a toy that was paid for with the Triton money.
    And a modern comfortable car for the daily.
    This means you can play harder without worrying about your daily drive should you break the Jeep.

Another plus is I bought it for R150k and should get around that again if I sell it, I have however modded about R60k which I wont get back.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Just wondering then why you need 35 inch muds on a commuter car?

More reason to keep it and buy a low kilo second hand platkar as Jouko said.
    Snap
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

Snap
    It's a Jeep thing. Can't be explained. 😂🚙
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

I was in the same boat, I bought a VW up for the work commute. Payments for VW Up is less then fuel consumption of FJ.

The UP has excellent fuel consumption and cheap services.

FJ used for weekend and trips.
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 2019/11/11 at 06:24 PM.

Less than 5km/L? Good grief. Something very wrong there.

Polo will go through a set of front tyres every year, rear set every 2 years. So 3 sets every 2 years, 6 sets every 4 years.
    Insurance will never EVER be that low for a Polo by the way. Phone for a quote.

thank you Jelo, I have clearly calculated incorrectly and assumed too much.

well after VW got back to me and offered me 80k UNDER TRADE VALUE and R 129 000 UNDER RESALE VALUE , thats simply insulting (apparently the excuse is, since fiat took over the wranglers trade has taken a dive)

I shall be keeping the jeep for now, unless Toyota offers more or I sell privately.

lol I get around 420 to 450km per 65l tank on a good run, 380km if we go 4 x4 for a day or two, dash says between 12.9 and 13.7 l per 100km

I regeared the axles and installed the lift kit and new shocks about a month after switching to 35s and the pro cal, and that helped a bit bring it down from 14-15l back into normal range for me.

I only do 25km a day when I go to gym, so I don't really commute a lot, well that doesn't seem like a lot to me, weekends we use the ladies Suzuki swift, unless we going somewhere to camp, or off road, so the jeep suits my needs well enough as is. I was trying to think ahead, and was looking at any vehicle, thats reliable and will last me the next 10-15 years. I thought a polo would fit the bill, but looks like Toyota would be a better fit for those goals, on the comments above.
    Last edited by Geared; 2019/11/12 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geared View Post
    lol I get around 420 to 450km per 65l tank on a good run, 380km if we go 4 x4 for a day or two, dash says between 12.9 and 13.7 l per 100km
    So around 15L/100 to 17L/100 when off-roading, that is really not bad for a large V6.

So the claims that the FJ are astronomically better should be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, Ubbo's town figures are really not standard for a Penta but indicates some heavy mods and then you're REALLY not comparing apples to apples.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Geared View Post
    thank you Jelo, I have clearly calculated incorrectly and assumed too much.

well after VW got back to me and offered me 80k UNDER TRADE VALUE and R 129 000 UNDER RESALE VALUE , thats simply insulting (apparently the excuse is, since fiat took over the wranglers trade has taken a dive)

I shall be keeping the jeep for now, unless Toyota offers more or I sell privately.

I regeared the axles and installed the lift kit and new shocks about a month after switching to 35s and the pro cal, and that helped a bit bring it down from 14-15l back into normal range for me.

I only do 25km a day when I go to gym, so I don't really commute a lot, well that doesn't seem like a lot to me, weekends we use the ladies Suzuki swift, unless we going somewhere to camp, or off road, so the jeep suits my needs well enough as is. I was trying to think ahead, and was looking at any vehicle, thats reliable and will last me the next 10-15 years. I thought a polo would fit the bill, but looks like Toyota would be a better fit for those goals, on the comments above.
    Have a look at the Suzuki Balero - excellent Polo-sized car which seems to be very well kitted and very reliable (typical Suzuki)

So around 15L/100 to 17L/100 when off-roading, that is really not bad for a large V6.

So the claims that the FJ are astronomically better should be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, Ubbo's town figures are really not standard for a Penta but indicates some heavy mods and then you're REALLY not comparing apples to apples.
    Hey Jelo. Astronomically is an interesting move upward from "quite a margin" 😊

Anyone that believes a trip computer for consumption figuresis fooling themselves, esp on a jeep. Then the Rubicon i had was the JKU so there is a little bit of a size difference as well.

Most of the FJ consumption figures are when towing a big trailer so you need to take that into consideration.

Lastly, what I did not mention in my original replies was that in the jeep I towed between 95 and 100kmh to keep the fuel costs down.

Make no mistake, I loved my JKU, it was gorgeous and even had the Bestop imported "fast-back" soft top. But in practical and real cost terms, the FJ is a lot cheaper and more practical.

I suppose the Jeep is like having a really hot and pretty girlfriend, awesome to look at, but you will need to do the cleaning and cooking 😉😊😊😊.
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Hey Jelo. Astronomically is an interesting move upward from "quite a margin" 😊

I suppose the Jeep is like having a really hot and pretty girlfriend, awesome to look at, but you will need to do the cleaning and cooking 😉😊😊😊.
    yeah OK, only owned a JKUS for 7 years so what do I know?
    Percivamus

yeah OK, only owned a JKUS for 7 years so what do I know?
    LOL. It's a disease. Got my Sahara 2012 and Rubi 2014.

Been for counseling recently😉😊
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

I have to say, that except for fuel consumption my TJ has been the most reliable 4x4 I have had up to date.

The Defender was well um not that reliable

The Triton couldn't handle the off road abuse.

So my Jeep is like a pretty girl who does everything well but has a mayor drinking problem

Actually fuel consumption doesn't have anything to do with reliability, so the best 4x4 for me then
    Last edited by Jeanvn; 2019/11/12 at 09:21 AM.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

I have to say, that except for fuel consumption my TJ has been the most reliable 4x4 I have had up to date.
    I have a cunning plan. TJ with manual AX-5 or AX-15 (most probably AX-15 here in ZA), and a nice old school 2.8 to 3.2L Jap TDi engine..........

But I can't find a TJ without an engine.
    Percivamus

That could be a rather awesome vehicle, will look out for a broken TJ and let you know if I see one.
    Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Volvo XC60
    Amarok AWD

That could be a rather awesome vehicle, will look out for a broken TJ and let you know if I see one.
    thanks, considering they're only around R100k in pristine condition, and old trashed TJ should be less than a Disco1
    Percivamus

I tried the cheapie smaller car for everyday route, bought a bantam bakkie and I hated it. I smiled at the pumps, but hated the way taxis tried to intimidate you, the crappy sound system, the noisy bumpy ride, and most of all that looking back at it after locking it and thinking lekker man, lekker. So I decided life's too short to drive a piece of crap and I drive the prado or the series 88" when I need a smile and always find myself taking the long way home in it.

What's the matter with a Jimny?
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 Sahara Black
    2008 Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Base White
    2004 VW Touareg R5 TDi Tip White Air - Facelifted - SOLD
    It's Either You Get Your Hands Dirty Or Let Your Hard Earned Money Get Dirty Instead #4x4community

I found myself in a similar situation 18 months ago. Had a 2006 Hilux bakkie 4x4 with the 2.7 petrol engine. Very heavy on fuel and was always worried about it getting stolen. Sold it and for virtually no extra cost bought a 2015 Jimny with very low mileage. Took out the back seats and there was just enough space for the camping equipment. Very easy to drive around town and over speed bumps, light on fuel and cheap to maintain/insure. Fun vehicle to drive. Little slow on the open road but still manage to cruise at 120 for the most part. Absolutely brilliant offroad - can go anywhere. Sometimes miss the space and power of the bakkie but otherwise very happy. Going to stick with Jimny's.

where are u insuring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    Morning, I had the same problem (jeep) but only 20 months left to work.My Rubicon was a 2014 and well modded with all sorts of nice stuff. Also sitting at the end of the term and a fat residual. I only do 3km to work and same back. But we do a lot of touring and nice holidays.I traded the Rubi in on a 2011 FJ Cruiser 4.0 petrol. Can still go anywhere, a lot more comfort, very cheap insurance R399 vs R900pm, lighter on fuel by quite a margin, and repairs/spares can be bought anywhere. Loved my jeep, but find the FJ a lot more practical. And it's so fugly it's not theft worthy. Miss the look of the jeep, but prefer the comfort of the FJ
    Chris Stockwell
    Toyota FJ cruiser
    BMW 1600 GT M/Cycle

"If it ain't fun, I ain't doin it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast