Defender 300Tdi smoking

Thread: 300Tdi smoking

Default 300Tdi smoking

Thought I would share my recent experience with my 300Tdi Defender smoking badly going downhill with slight throttle applied. Motor was not using oil or water. I assumed it was valve stem seals and put new ones in over the December break. One of the valve guides had a piece broken off at the top and I sealed it with silicone and hoped it would hold. No change, still smoking badly on downhills so assumed my fix had not worked. So I decided to remove the head and have it reconditioned. Sent it in to an engineering shop and they found multiple cracks and said it failed the pressure test. So I put in a new AMC head. Re-assembled and took it for a test run. Worst fears realized, still smoking badly. I started thinking that the rings must be bad and compression too low to burn the diesel properly but was confused as it did not use oil and started easily even in the middle of winter. It was also leaking diesel from the throttle shaft on the injector pump so I decided to first tackle that before doing compression tests. Order the shaft and bush from Diesel Electric and after replacing them found it has completely cured the problem. It do not understand why but have done some reading up on the Bosch VE pumps and they are a complicated piece of mechanics. They use fuel pressure to advance the timing and maybe the leaking shaft lowered the pressure and interfered with the advance causing poor combustion. If anyone can throw more light on the matter please do so. Hope this experience may help someone in the future.
    1997 Defender Tdi
    2010 Defender Puma

Default Re: 300Tdi smoking

Thanks for sharing. This is very valuable information.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Never heard of this but really good to know thanks for sharing this.
    Would be really nice to have the thx button back.
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Thought I would share my recent experience with my 300Tdi Defender smoking badly going downhill with slight throttle applied. Motor was not using oil or water. I assumed it was valve stem seals and put new ones in over the December break. One of the valve guides had a piece broken off at the top and I sealed it with silicone and hoped it would hold. No change, still smoking badly on downhills so assumed my fix had not worked. So I decided to remove the head and have it reconditioned. Sent it in to an engineering shop and they found multiple cracks and said it failed the pressure test. So I put in a new AMC head. Re-assembled and took it for a test run. Worst fears realized, still smoking badly. I started thinking that the rings must be bad and compression too low to burn the diesel properly but was confused as it did not use oil and started easily even in the middle of winter. It was also leaking diesel from the throttle shaft on the injector pump so I decided to first tackle that before doing compression tests. Order the shaft and bush from Diesel Electric and after replacing them found it has completely cured the problem. It do not understand why but have done some reading up on the Bosch VE pumps and they are a complicated piece of mechanics. They use fuel pressure to advance the timing and maybe the leaking shaft lowered the pressure and interfered with the advance causing poor combustion. If anyone can throw more light on the matter please do so. Hope this experience may help someone in the future.
    Hi Alan

the throttle shaft fuel leak is a common issue on high mileage VE44 pumps. As I know those pumps inside out, I changed the throttle shaft bush and seal without removing the pump from the engine on my D1 300Tdi, when I still had it. That is a very tricky operation and not recommended for people not intimately familiar with those pumps.

It is very important when setting the full throttle position to make sure, that there is some 0.5-1mm clearance between the throttle lever and the full throttle stop. Ignoring that will drastically shorten the life of the throttle lever bush (that is what causes the fuel leak in the first place ).

Great to hear, that you solved the problem.

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Thanks George, I will check that clearance. I also did the job with the pump in place, followed the procedure you posted some time back.2.8i Rocks I see you have your location as Ruaha NP. We are planning to be up there next year, can I contact you for help in planning what to see/where to go?
    1997 Defender Tdi
    2010 Defender Puma

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Thanks George, I will check that clearance. I also did the job with the pump in place, followed the procedure you posted some time back.2.8i Rocks I see you have your location as Ruaha NP. We are planning to be up there next year, can I contact you for help in planning what to see/where to go?
    Hi AlanW sure thing and if you're in my area drop in for a few cold ones
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

Great - will be in touch once I get to the route planning. I am busy working on getting the Landy ready at present.
    1997 Defender Tdi
    2010 Defender Puma