New Pajero Owner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Pajero Owner

Good afternoon everyone;

Became the owner of a 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 V6 auto. Apart from the centre arm rest release button, it's immaculate inside and out, with Excalibur steps, Warn winch, long range tank and some or other aftermarket radio.
    I was very impressed by the power, the power and the power ... did I mention the power?

What impresses me is how modern it feels for a 17 year old car. Looking forward to driving it more.

Name:  IMG_2614.jpeg
Views: 513
Size:  93.5 KB

Default Re: New Pajero Owner

Welcome and well done. Check out the service history and if to be sure drain and refill the gearbox, transfer case and axles if and when you can afford to. Oh and antifreeze and brake fluid too. If you are a DIY guy check out the floating pins for the rear brake calipers. They tend to rust and seize solid if not kept well lubricated. The sealing rubbers get shot and allow water in .
    Be careful what ATF and antifreeze you use. It is not ordinary stuff available from Midas.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2019/11/09 at 07:27 PM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Many miles of smiles - looks like a gem, enjoy!
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Congrats

The little clip for the center console is a R100 part from the agents.

Enjoy the car
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2019/11/10 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Congrats

The little clip for the center console is a R100 part from the agents.

Enjoy the car
    Nice. I'm going to order one immediately.

Have to fid the 12v socket first. Dissaperead into the dash when I plugged my GPS in. Turns out it was missing the fastening nut. Weird

While you are about it then bypass what looks like a short piece of insulated wire on the lighter itself. This is actually a fuse. The system has a fuse in the fuse box and that wire fuse on the lighter is an issue when it blows and leaves you without 12v for phones, GPS, etc.
    See here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...-2-Di-D-defect
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2019/11/11 at 02:02 AM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Congrats, lovely car that. I sincerely hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as we do from ours.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    While you are about it then bypass what looks like a short piece of insulated wire on the lighter itself. This is actually a fuse. The system has a fuse in the fuse box and that wire fuse on the lighter is an issue when it blows and leaves you without 12v for phones, GPS, etc.
    See here: www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/24769-Front-lighter-Pajero-3-2-Di-D-defect
    I had the dash open. Someone has already removed it.
    The nut that was keeping it against the dash was there all along, just slid down the power cable. Tigtened it and bobs your uncle!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Welcome and well done. Check out the service history and if to be sure drain and refill the gearbox, transfer case and axles if and when you can afford to. Oh and antifreeze and brake fluid too. If you are a DIY guy check out the floating pins for the rear brake calipers. They tend to rust and seize solid if not kept well lubricated. The sealing rubbers get shot and allow water in .
    Be careful what ATF and antifreeze you use. It is not ordinary stuff available from Midas.
    pins and callipers check out, had a look at them when doing the alignment and balancing.

I see the engine temp fluctuates quite a bit between the middle and high end of the gauge. When it was at the top I check stopped and checked the expansion tank, and just to "smell" if something is amis. Seemed fine. Maybe an airlock?

I see I have the "centre Dif lock light flashing" problem. don't think its the vacuum hoses but Ill check them out anyway.

Any recommendations for a indie that can do the gearbox- and diff oil replacements for me?
    (my wrist is still tender from my motorcycle accident)

Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    pins and callipers check out, had a look at them when doing the alignment and balancing.

I see the engine temp fluctuates quite a bit between the middle and high end of the gauge. When it was at the top I check stopped and checked the expansion tank, and just to "smell" if something is amis. Seemed fine. Maybe an airlock?

I see I have the "centre Dif lock light flashing" problem. don't think its the vacuum hoses but Ill check them out anyway.

Any recommendations for a indie that can do the gearbox- and diff oil replacements for me?
    Do yourself a favour and make an appointment with Arnold Venter from Mitsitech which is now based in Alberton..he is a Mitsubishi fundi. 087 004 1802 .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post
    Do yourself a favour and make an appointment with Arnold Venter from Mitsitech which is now based in Alberton..he is a Mitsubishi fundi. 087 004 1802 .
    Fantastic,

Thanks. Ill phone him right now

Agree make an appointment with Arnold. I think I remember reading about the faulty heat gauge. Easy fix. Just fix the bad joint behind the dash with your soldering tool. Arnold will sort it out in no time. He closes soon though 12 Dec.

Congrats on the car

Maybe save this link for some nice DIY Pajero related stuff. He drives a diesel model but some of the stuff is relevant to the petrol as well.

http://www.pajero.guru/

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Hi Team;

Need some help!

My central locking remote has broken (when I got it , it was held together by a plastic tie strap)
    Agents are quoting me between R2500 - R2800 (without programming costs) for what is essentially a two button remote!

What are my options here?

Hi Team;

Need some help!

My central locking remote has broken (when I got it , it was held together by a plastic tie strap)
    Agents are quoting me between R2500 - R2800 (without programming costs) for what is essentially a two button remote!

What are my options here?
    I tied mine with strong duct tape and put it inside a small key holder pocket, those canvas ones with Velcro. Not ideal, but it works...
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    I tied mine with strong duct tape and put it inside a small key holder pocket, those canvas ones with Velcro. Not ideal, but it works...
    Thanks, when I get a working one ill keep this in mind

Buy a new casing..The programable bit is a smalllittle plastic squre inside the remote.You just rtransfer to new casing..Not sure who will sell you the case though..Maybe try amazon or alibaba

Correct. Places that install alarms normally sell the case/holder. Replaced mine for I think R70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Buy a new casing..The programable bit is a smalllittle plastic squre inside the remote.You just rtransfer to new casing..Not sure who will sell you the case though..Maybe try amazon or alibaba
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

I have it back together again, new battery but no luck. Won’t open the doors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast