Puma 2.4 - Long story and a Toc-Toc

Default Puma 2.4 - Long story and a Toc-Toc

2010 Land Rover Defender Puma 2.4 Tdci - 209 000 km

Noticed a turbo blow when revs are passing 2000 rpm. It becomes more obvious whilst towing. Removed the heat shield and saw the carbon tell tales indicating a blown gasket. Drove the car like this for a couple for thousand km. The car became difficult to start (winter), blowing more white smoke than usual, and requires longer crank time. Guessed glow plugs are faulty or dirty, and ascribed it to the turbo not being optimal, causing carbon in the engine.

Replaced glow plugs, but struggled to pull the old ones out (Carbon build up?). Noticed that the inlet manifold is dirty (oily). Cleaned manifold, turbo hoses and (standard size) intercooler.

Starting problem resolved. Car runs with more power as well.

Two weeks later I noticed an oil leak and discovered the brake vacuum pump is leaking. Replaced vacuum pump with a new unit. Leak sorted.

Another fortnight later, coming back from KZN I noticed the turbo whine increase significantly. I also believed the car did not have the power it used to, as I had to gear back more than usual. Thought it is time to address the turbo.

Removed Turbo, inspected everything, taking care to check exhaust manifold flange and turbo flange. They were flat, so cleaned everything and fitted new gaskets. Turbo whistle gone from what I can tell, however the serpentine belt whine sang a beautiful solo. (I thought this is the reason for the noise increase) Removed belt and started the car. Whine gone. Noticed that the idler bearing has play. Removed two smooth idler bearings and the tensioner and replaced the bearings. The ribbed idler really felt smooth, and since it is “built in” I left it . Replaced the serpentine belt with a new one. Problem not resolved. Belt whine still present! Puzzled. It must be water pump, alternator, aircon pump, alternator or an alignment problem caused by I don’t know?

Power up the hills is still a problem. Driving to Pretoria yesterday (7 Nov) I “fixed” the belt wine by putting the radio louder 😊. Temperature is also running higher than normal. My Ultra-Gauge has been set to alarm at 100C. Going up the hills on the N1 through Midrand I often got a warning from my Ultra-gauge with the temperature floating to 102-104 odd degrees. The car also runs uneven when I am asking for the power on the high end. (2500-3000 rpm)

I put a new radiator filler cap on, maybe the old one was leaking? Just a precaution.
    Reading on this forum for ideas, I started thinking about the EGR. I realized it has been a while since I heard the Chukka-Chukka when the car is switched off! Maybe that is the case here? Is my EGR stuck open? Puzzled. I cleaned the MAP and MAF sensors last night and unplugged the EGR valve wire. (Hoping)

Drove to work this morning. Power problem still there, so is the uneven running at (2500-3000). Then – sequence of events:
    Coming past 14th Avenue on the N1 South the ultra-gauge indicated the car temperature up to 105. I was in 5th gear, so I lifted the foot of the accelerator. The temperature suddenly spiked to 115 degrees and the car went into limp mode. (at least that still works!) I freed to the side of the road, leaving the engine to idle (keep fan running) and soon (seconds later ) the temperature settled back to 90. Started driving (calmly) I just got going when I heard what sounded like something snapping. This was followed by an immediate tock-tock sound that runs with the car revs. I turned off at Maraisburg rd and stopped at the garage. Fan belt was still there, and the so was the tock. Drove home to Beyers Naude (Linden), and blew the dust off my 1969 Triumph Spitfire. The old girl fired first time! (Like se does every time).

I have theories around:

1. EGR stuck open (Could explain the heat and the lack of power)
    2. Even though the alternator, aircon pump, water pump, power steering pump, the brake vacuum pump and the alternator felt smooth, I was planning to check again. Maybe I find the misalignment.

When this “thing” snapped and the knocking started I realized I am out of my depth.
    HELP!!!!
    Eric Slaghuis
    '10 Defender 110 Puma 2.4
    '00 Defender TD5 (Plan "B")
    '69 Triumph Spitfire MK3 (Plat kar)
    Get out there and shoot away... Capture the light and share it with the world

Default Re: Puma 2.4 - Long story and a Toc-Toc

Have you had anyone run diagnostics? That would be a good place to start if you have uneven running and power issues.

115 is very hot, to have spiked to there, something is seriously wrong, either with your cooking system, which would then cut back fueling and result in reduced power, or you have overfueling (my money is on that). Again, diagnostics is the place to start.

I hope you haven’t pushed this too far now, and have done major damage..... but I suspect you will be opening this motor to get this sorted now. Pretty certain your snapping sound and now knocking is big end or main bearings that have failed
    Last edited by RPiet; 2019/11/08 at 11:29 AM.

Slaghuis i would say your water pump. As you tapped off the temp spiked. I dont think 115 is high enough to do major damage since that's the limp mode trigger point, although that said remember your Ultra Gauge measures cylinder head temps not coolant temp.

I really hope the tick tock is not a bearing...

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

On a flat bed, off to the Indy today.

Now the wait . . .

Will post the result.
    Eric Slaghuis

Apparently the "turbo drank the oil". (No, It did not leak out, nor did I see billows of smoke to “eat” 7l of oil in 600 kilos). Anyway, engine is shot. Indy estimated 160-200 k for a repair.

Remtec quote R35500 ex VAT for a remanufactured unit with warrantee. Add to that a turbo rebuild at R6500 ex VAT, the total is less than R50000 plus labour.
    Something does not add up. Which way to go?
    Eric Slaghuis

Yikes, that's a hefty repair bill there.

The local indie uses this outfit for their replacement engines, might be worth to get another quote? https://lrenginemecca.co.za/
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Who is the Indy? R160-R200k is the price of a TDV6 D3 engine.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Yikes, that's a hefty repair bill there.

The local indie uses this outfit for their replacement engines, might be worth to get another quote? https://lrenginemecca.co.za/
    Thank you, I will follow up.
    Eric Slaghuis

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Who is the Indy? R160-R200k is the price of a TDV6 D3 engine.
    Indeed.