New tv's for old toppies - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: New tv's for old toppies

Buy the Samsung ( or the Panasonic), it will work just fine for what you want and no need for additional complexity.

Jeesh guys, the OP even said he didn't want to make this difficult, people here recommending all sorts of complicated unnecessary stuff.
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2019/11/08 at 01:23 PM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Oh and here is nice overall breakdown from the guys at Toms guide where they compare smart OS's used for TV's and rate them
    Android gets 20 points on app selection
    Roku and Tizen scores 16 on that

But the LG Web OS ends with 86 overall points
    The Roku and Samsung Tizen scores 84

And the Android OS for smart TV ends up with 70
    Losing lots of points on the other requirements used for smart TV's
    It was next inline after those 3

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartes...view-5986.html
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2019/11/08 at 02:45 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Buy the Samsung ( or the Panasonic), it will work just fine for what you want and no need for additional complexity. Jeesh guys, the OP even said he didn't want to make this difficult, people here recommending all sorts of complicated unnecessary stuff.
    Jeez, I don't know, I only read pretty sound advice here. Boils down to two options:1) Buy a new smart TV (Probably R8k+) or,2) Keep old tv and make it smart with a streaming device (R1k-R2k)I don't see any over complicated advice. I opted for option 2 due to cost. It is exactly a thread like this that helped me made a decision

Quote Originally Posted by Blikka View Post
    Jeez, I don't know, I only read pretty sound advice here. Boils down to two options:1) Buy a new smart TV (Probably R8k+) or,2) Keep old tv and make it smart with a streaming device (R1k-R2k)I don't see any over complicated advice. I opted for option 2 due to cost. It is exactly a thread like this that helped me made a decision

Agreed - that's perfectly useful advice, worrying about flashing android devices and running VPN's seems off the point.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Go for the 49 LG .. I bought the SS from Takealot and sent it back due to poor picture quality. Both are available on Takealot for R6999.
    LG WebOs and magic remote is far far superior to SS. General consensus on the net is SS make better phones & appliances but LG streets ahead wrt TV. First LG arrived with a broken screen and now on the 2nd one and it 100% - this all in the last 3 weeks.
    If in doubt go and look at the 2 side by side at a retailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    Hi All
    I am moving , kicking and screaming into the new era of TV viewing. I curently on a DSTV / flat screen LCD setup, and now want to embrace the net fliks?? U tube what what, and although I sell high tech photonic components for a living, I know f all about the latest TV's and related conectivity.
    I have identified a Samsung 49 inch 4K ( ua49nv7100kxxa) as the one to go for. Is this reasonably future proofed for my dreams of ditching DSTV and what other do-dads do I need to get at the same time. I already have fibre to the home and a good router with wireless or ethernet.

School me please.

G
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Agreed - that's perfectly useful advice, worrying about flashing android devices and running VPN's seems off the point.
    Glad you agree. BTW read the opening post again. He did not say "not to make it difficult", he said "school me, please." Think he can consider himself schooled a bit in the various options of streaming. I would still go for the cheaper option of a streamer. Buy one of the three I recommended and it is plug and play. But that is just me. I don't have R8k+ to spend on a box of lights now.

If a person drops DSTV AND wants to watch sports off the shelf stuff from well known shops will not do it. Have to install some additional apps and the equipment bought have to have possibility to install the required apps. Some are easy some are a bit more difficult.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blikka View Post
    Glad you agree. BTW read the opening post again. He did not say "not to make it difficult", he said "school me, please." Think he can consider himself schooled a bit in the various options of streaming. I would still go for the cheaper option of a streamer. Buy one of the three I recommended and it is plug and play. But that is just me. I don't have R8k+ to spend on a box of lights now.
    Apologies, reading this again I came across a bit of an ass. I fully get what you mean @Quicksilver. A simpler solution will probably meet his needs, like mine, therefor an off the shelf Android is a pretty safe bet. More than enough content to keep you busy with the standard streamer, piggyback of a DSTV account for the sport and bobs your uncle. Also cheap enough to sell and replace once something else tickles your fancy.

Problem is, if the "Smart" bit is part of the tv, that is what you have to live with for the life of the tv. So, a smart tv is the simplest solution, but I think it limits your options and it is the most expensive option.

I agree, flashing stuff and VPN's and things gets complicated, but the options are there. Not many people has time to fiddle, but if there is really something specific you need access to, someone has figured out a way to do it. I, for one are content with what the Xiaomi offer through the standard fair like dstv now, Netflix and youtube. Kids are also happy. My kids dislike dstv. They telling my wife she is old fashioned and behind the times sticking with dstv.

I know threads can drift off sometimes into the unnecessary, but I prefer that. Forums have helped me plenty with all sorts of things. It is in a lot of respects better than Google.

I am the OP and am perfectly happy so far, as the man said, I did ask to be "schooled".

I see the logic of the dumb TV and a box, but the TV is up for replacement anyway, and although I probally won't suceed, I want to stay away from fiddly little boxes ( and their inevitable power supplies) as much as possible.

Size is determind by space available and i believe that "smart" is the way to go, as it will definatelt get me started and they can be dumb, if and when the magic fix all " box" comes along. And a step in the right direction to ditch the DSTV.

Am I starting to get it

Would you please let us know what you would like to watch plus who else is going to use the streaming.

We have two grand kinds locally (14 and below). I set up them with fiber and Netflix. YouTube is there. No box... Couple days later "Where is ShowBox?", "I am not installing." Couple days later they get it via phone - somehow. Just be warned. Before fiber on their side "Can we come?". Now we do not see them

Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    I am the OP and am perfectly happy so far, as the man said, I did ask to be "schooled".

I see the logic of the dumb TV and a box, but the TV is up for replacement anyway, and although I probally won't suceed, I want to stay away from fiddly little boxes ( and their inevitable power supplies) as much as possible.

Size is determind by space available and i believe that "smart" is the way to go, as it will definatelt get me started and they can be dumb, if and when the magic fix all " box" comes along. And a step in the right direction to ditch the DSTV.

Am I starting to get it
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Interesting thread - but where did the “Thank you” button go? Can’t see it for rhe last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    Interesting thread - but where did the “Thank you” button go? Can’t see it for rhe last few days.
    Multiple threads on the missing like button.

In short: Hosting software upgrade - incompatibility with 3rd party components (like button) - issue is being looked at

Default New tv's for old toppies

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    I watch Netflix with laptop and one wire to tv ? Works like a dream.
    Same here. It’s so much easier and quicker searching for stuff with a mouse pad and full size keyboard. No matter what OS or how old it is, as long as your TV has an HDMI input you’re A for away. Or you could really splash out and use something like an Apple TV and connect your laptop wirelessly.

Now the irony. Here we are talking about how to spend time, inside, watching TV, on a 4x4 forum. Yes, I’m old enough to remember the Sony Console TV my folks got, in 1976, and the insane amount of choice we had to watch on it. ;-)
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/11/09 at 07:26 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Same here. It’s so much easier and quicker searching for stuff with a mouse pad and full size keyboard.
    With those standard remotes it is hopeless business. Air mouse helps. We have one TV with such. Remote with microphone is nice. Air mouse with microphone would be better.

Unfortunately I do not have the best solution so it is TV remote, box remote, mouse and small keyboard and then SWAMBO bought couple wooden things for the remotes
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    With those standard remotes it is hopeless business. Air mouse helps. We have one TV with such. Remote with microphone is nice. Air mouse with microphone would be better.
    The LG Magic Remote is an awesome piece of kit ... magic mouse with voice input. The YT clip below is pretty good ... and it has a Defender in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh1lwIn9pUs
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

The xiaomi mi has a microphone in the remote and it works very well. Even understands my thick dutchman. The kids have Amazon echo dots with Alexa and that works well too. I am too old to feel comfortable talking to a non human but it works surprisingly well. The remote is also not infrared so you can hide the box.

List of Samsung and Roku devices that will not play Netflix next month:

https://lifehacker.com/these-devices...r-1-1839667351

On TV boxes older version of Netflix normally works. I do not know about those listed.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Would you please let us know what you would like to watch plus who else is going to use the streaming.

We have two grand kinds locally (14 and below). I set up them with fiber and Netflix. YouTube is there. No box... Couple days later "Where is ShowBox?", "I am not installing." Couple days later they get it via phone - somehow. Just be warned. Before fiber on their side "Can we come?". Now we do not see them

OK, so it's just the two of us and one TV in the lounge, and that won't change . TV is just on in the evenings during chilling time, but we do not do sports except for ocasions like last weekend, and we do not avidly follow any soapies or series. ( Game of whatttss...).

We would probally watch more movies if the DSTV selection was better, and I do enjoy U tube clips on my computer. We also have a large DVD (Music) collection and would probally watch a lot more music video if available.

We also have grand kids around every other weekend, pre-teen at the moment, so the DSTV cartoons are good enough, but some future proofing for their teen years may be in order.

Hope that puts you " In the Picture" so to speak.
    An I still looking good with the LG or SS

Netflix has movies, kiddies programs and series. Good place to start. Only hassle is that they have this Netflix approval business. Before buying double check the equipment is working at the time of buying. YouTube is the next to check but most TV's should have it. But again. Recently YouTube changed something and a lot of devices stopped working. Had to do some work but I think most people are back on.

Sports can be an issue. I am pretty sure TVs will not have the required apps. Those who have solved this on TV only should be able to help. If you like to watch cricket in Pakistan, sumo wrestling in Japan or what ever there is a solution. Same applies to history channels, cooking programs, old series, old movies....

When those kids get older they most probably want to see something else. Be warned.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Same here. It’s so much easier and quicker searching for stuff with a mouse pad and full size keyboard. No matter what OS or how old it is, as long as your TV has an HDMI input you’re A for away. Or you could really splash out and use something like an Apple TV and connect your laptop wirelessly.
    That is 100% personal preference
    Allot of the people I know do not want to have to try and sort out an place to put mouse and keyboard next to their couch to that they can control the TV
    Never mind having to place whole laptop down

But I also know quite a few guys who still uses full tower cases as their streaming device

It is 100% personal preference

The proper remote functions and ability to type on my cell if I am looking for something specific works fine for me
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast