Campingtrip Kenya





Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Almere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Campingtrip Kenya

    Hi all,

    I hope someone can help me.
    We are interested in planning a 4x4 campingtrip (with RTT) trip to Kenya.
    But I was shocked when I saw the National Park prices.

    The goal of camping is 1. to get close to nature but 2. to keep the costs down.
    For example, I saw you have to pay $80 entrance fee pppn for Maasai Mara plus public campsite rate of $30 pppn, a total of $240(!) for one day, that is crazy right?
    Did I understand something wrong or are this really the prices?

    Does anyone have tips for a cheaper camping trip to Kenya but still see a lot of wildlife (big5)?
    Does wildlife only live in the National Parks or also outside like in Botswana?
    And does anyone know a good rental company?

    I was thinking about:
    Nairobi 1N
    Amboseli 3N
    Tsavo east 3N
    Nairobi 1N (stopover)
    Mount Kenya 3N
    Lake Nukuru 2N
    Maasai Mara 3N
    Nairobi 1N

    All tips are welcome

    Thanks so much!

    Warm regards,

    Selma

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Whilst I am more than happy to assist those who have done some research, I am getting increasingly exasperated by those who just fire off questions into the ether and are never heard from again. This forum is on the basis of “give and take”. Currently I am waiting impatiently for a trip report from two of your fellow countrymen - one for Uganda and one for Kenya. I put in a considerable amount of time and effort to help them plan their trips.

    All the questions you have asked have been answered by me or others on this forum. You just have to dig a bit deep.

    Rant over!

    However, I will give you some pointers:

    1. 4x4 hire. Ortelius on this forum did a considerable amount of research on hiring vehicles. Here is a link to that thread. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...g-4x4-in-Kenya
    2. Conservation costs a lot of money and Kenya has gone for the low volume high prices model. Here is the link to the Mara Conservancy website for their fees (the main Mara Reserve charges the same). https://www.maratriangle.org/conservation-fees-1. And here is a link to the Kenya Wildlife Services’ website for the fees for national parks http://www.kws.go.ke/file/2912/download?token=pQ4REOsP


    Yes, wildlife does exist outside national parks and reserves, but all the land belongs to someone - be it the community or private farmers and ranchers. They know the value of their wildlife and either have community conservancies or private conservancies where one can visit for a fee. It is the same in Botswana where all land belongs to someone. It must be borne in mind that Kenya has a population of approx 44 million whilst Botswana has a population of approx 2.3 million.

    There are a number of trip reports on this forum. I have written quite a few of them, and given a lot of advice to those others who have also written trip reports.

    Happy reading and happy planning!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Almere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Hi Wazungu Wawili,

    First, thanks for your quick reply and all the info!

    Second, I am not the same as my fellow countrymen and he or her is not the same as me. So I find your reply a little "hostile" to me.

    And it is not the case that I did no research at all. For the car rental for example, the company I wanted to rent a car with, where out of cars for the period I wanted to go.
    For the other rental companies I only read bad reviews so I thought people on this website could help me.
    Also for the prices, I thought (hoped) I did not have the right info and hoped it wasn't that expensive, but unfortunately it is (and for good reason, I know now).

    Though I agree it should be a give and take, so Im sorry if I gave you the feeling I was only taking.

    Im glad people like you can and want to help people like me who are not that experienced.

    I am still in the planning and reading phase so I hope I will have a nice trip report in 6 months or so

    Now I will read and research the info you gave me, thanks again!!

    I hope you will have a wonderful evening.

    Regards,

    Selma


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Carrigaline
    Age
    53
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    I do understand Wazungus sentiment in a different way such as when people have asked for advice on repairing or building a particular type of motorcycle I am familiar with. You spend time helping the person with their enquiry but they're never heard from again. Of course Wazungu was generous enough to offer help anyway even though no obligation to do so and it is such generosity that makes forums like this such a valuable resource that can be referred back to by others doing their research later in time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Almere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Quote Originally Posted by B Murr View Post
    I do understand Wazungus sentiment in a different way such as when people have asked for advice on repairing or building a particular type of motorcycle I am familiar with. You spend time helping the person with their enquiry but they're never heard from again. Of course Wazungu was generous enough to offer help anyway even though no obligation to do so and it is such generosity that makes forums like this such a valuable resource that can be referred back to by others doing their research later in time.
    Thanks for your reply.

    Like I already said, I agree it should be a give and take, and not only a take. I do understand where you are coming from, I just did not expect a comment like that because not everyone/ every Dutchie is the same.
    And I really appreciate Wazungu still gave me some info

    You also have a good evening!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,719
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    In support of Wazungu, it is better to complain a little than decide to stay away from giving advice altogether.
    It is truely frustrating when promises and obligations of feedback are cast aside once the trip is complete.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Almere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    O my, I get it! Don't worry!
    I get your frustration and that it is not nice when you take the time to advise someone and don't hear anything anymore.

    Like I already said, Im very thankful people like you guys help people like me with little experience, but if this "negativity" is all I get on my message, pls don't reply anymore.
    And pls don't take this the wrong way but I rather put my energy in nicer things, like reading blogs and tips and hopefully planning an amazing Africa trip!

    Have a good evening!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,719
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Quote Originally Posted by svn1985 View Post
    ....... but I rather put my energy in nicer things, like reading blogs and tips and hopefully planning an amazing Africa trip!
    svn, the disgruntled responses are certainly not specifically directed at you. Hopefully they will make an impression on forum members looking for future advice. It cannot all be "take", there must be some "give" as well.

    In an ideal world, a member posts a series of queries, answered in detail by those with first hand knowlege. In time to come the novice becomes the expert and returns the compliment by offering detailed feedback such as a trip report or at least is seen to be visiting this forum and providing advice to queries covering aspects of African travel, where they have experience.

    All too often after members have spent considerable time and effort on advice, those that have benefitted disappear never to be heard from again. Even worse are those that fail on the feedback scale, who then a year or two later, post a long series of queries concerning their latest trip plans, perhaps hoping that their transgression would have been forgotten.

    I remain an enthusiastic African traveller and enjoy sharing my enthusiasm so that others might experience the same enjoyment, but my sharing has become tempered by a degree of realism as well. I particularly enjoy engaging with those who have patently spent a decent amount of time researching and who appear to at least have searched the extensive archives on this forum. Where I think I can provide value I will reply to those in the habit of providing feedback. This forum needs to continue as one of the most respected facilities for information on independant vehicle-based African travel.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,411
    Thanked: 3316

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    svn, the disgruntled responses are certainly not specifically directed at you. Hopefully they will make an impression on forum members looking for future advice. It cannot all be "take", there must be some "give" as well.

    In an ideal world, a member posts a series of queries, answered in detail by those with first hand knowlege. In time to come the novice becomes the expert and returns the compliment by offering detailed feedback such as a trip report or at least is seen to be visiting this forum and providing advice to queries covering aspects of African travel, where they have experience.

    All too often after members have spent considerable time and effort on advice, those that have benefitted disappear never to be heard from again. Even worse are those that fail on the feedback scale, who then a year or two later, post a long series of queries concerning their latest trip plans, perhaps hoping that their transgression would have been forgotten.

    I remain an enthusiastic African traveller and enjoy sharing my enthusiasm so that others might experience the same enjoyment, but my sharing has become tempered by a degree of realism as well. I particularly enjoy engaging with those who have patently spent a decent amount of time researching and who appear to at least have searched the extensive archives on this forum. Where I think I can provide value I will reply to those in the habit of providing feedback. This forum needs to continue as one of the most respected facilities for information on independant vehicle-based African travel.
    Stan, I agree with you, but I do think the first respondent was unnecessary harsh, and bordering on unmanned.
    Not everyone understands the research-ability of this forum, and mostly when going through threads you have to read through tons of chit chat and then pick at the morsels of information in each thread. Not only that, but time moves on, and information becomes outdated...

    Surely one of the wonderful features of a forum such as ours is to get up to date information from people who give advice and information gladly and enthusiastically..

    I have to state that: If you find it tedious to help, then abstain.. Simple really
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,411
    Thanked: 3316

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Stan, I agree with you, but I do think the first respondent was unnecessarily harsh, and bordering on unmannered.
    Not everyone understands the research-ability of this forum, and mostly when going through threads you have to read through tons of chit chat and then pick at the morsels of information in each thread. Not only that, but time moves on, and information becomes outdated...

    Surely one of the wonderful features of a forum such as ours is to get up to date information from people who give advice and information gladly and enthusiastically..

    I have to state that: If you find it tedious to help, then abstain.. Simple really
    Spelling
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    68
    Posts
    274
    Thanked: 164

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    I will sit on my hands to not get into any arguments within the 4x4 community, as so often happens lately!! What I will say, being an ex Dutchie myself , if it means, when I have the knowledge about certain places to visit etc and fellow travellers want some info, whether it be the tenth time for me to reply on the same questions, it never has bothered me to do so, AGAIN. Sometimes, just a thank you, is more than enough, and if not, so be it. I rather tend to send the people a PM, and you will be amazed, how good friends we have mostly become, even having them stay over at my place in Pta, helping them with small problems on their RENTED 4x4's etc, which many of my fellow SA's would also do. But, we are all different. Just my opinion and the way I operate.
    Rudy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,719
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Whilst we are having a bit of a family squabble , allow me to air my reservations concerning information shared only as Personal Messages (PMs). My own personal bias is to prefer to share important info on the open forum where it will be accessible to all, into the future. To the extent I will often urge those posting a PM in my direction, to rather open a thread on the open forum, for two reasons: Availability to others and also the probability of a diversity of opinions and new and more up to date info emerging.

    Hedgehog, I sincerely hope your response in no way leads the "first respondant" to shun this forum. Her help has been of incalcuable value to many on this forum, including ourselves. The amount of trouble she has gone to in assisting fellow travellers especially within Kenya, is not generally known.

    For this forum to be sustainable as a source of information for independant vehicle-based travel in Africa, there has to be ongoing feedback from those benefitting from the information they have gleaned from here. It seems that many reliable providers of information are becoming disinchanted with spoon-feeding people that do not have the good manners and consideration to reciprocate in kind. This fund of goodwill is not limitless.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2019/11/08 at 10:56 AM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,411
    Thanked: 3316

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Hedgehog, I sincerely hope your response in no way leads the "first respondant" to shun this forum. Her help has been of incalcuable value to many on this forum, including ourselves. The amount of trouble she has gone to in assisting fellow travellers especially within Kenya, is not generally known.
    Stan, I could not agree more with you about the PM issue, It is like Whatsup Groups, it just removes the whole reason for having a forum.

    Regarding my post: I really hope that what you say might happen will not, I am sure we can put this down to a moment of irritatedness, or frustration in dealing with new people with the same questions.... and I am sure we are all sincerely grateful for her help with the information on Kenya.

    I have seen how this has helped many people in many threads.

    I do hope however that her response, did not stop this specific and other new members who are excited and anxious for information, and a little green on 4x4 forums, from asking questions.
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,719
    Thanked: 3865

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    ......I do hope however that her response, did not stop this specific and other new members who are excited and anxious for information, and a little green on 4x4 forums, from asking questions.
    Thanks for the timely reminder. Feeling free to post on this forum, even as a beginner, is indeed the other side of the coin.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Almere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Campingtrip Kenya

    Dear all,

    I do appreciate all your opinions (although some are, in my opinion, unnecessary harsh ) and the info I got from Wazungu Wawili. I have something to read .

    Also I want to say as a last thing about "us", the people who ask questions on this forum, I think most of "us" don't even realize it is much appreciated that there will be some kind of feedback, trip report and/ or tips after coming back from an amazing trip.
    It is not as black and white as some of you think that people don't do this because they are ungrateful or something.

    I will think (and research) twice before I post a question on this forum again.

    But thanks again for all your feedback

    I hope you all have a great evening!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •