How do you spec the most offroad worthy New Defender? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How do you spec the most offroad worthy New Defender?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
    I am lowering to 180-150. And yes I am switching DSC off but i find myself often sinking.
    I go on sand mode high range for more momentum.

Not nearly enough, 1.8-1.5 is adequate for gravel.

For sand, you need to be at 1.0 bar or even 0.8 - try it and it will make a world of difference.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
    Hi Jeremy, can you elaborate on the performance improvement from the tyres? Where were you having problems the most, was it on sad? I am running the standard 19 inch rims on my D3 V8 and I am not satisfied with my performance on sand.
    Hi Edmundo - I had major problems with tyre failure (sidewall damage and stones between the tyre tread despite my best efforts at different tyre pressures eg higher pressures might help prevent side wall damage to some extent but then the hard tyres are prone to stone penetration). Most of my problems were in very rugged territory in north-western Namibia eg Kaokoveld. The added problem with low profile tyres is that they do not perform as well in soft sand where you need a longer footprint achieved with low tyre pressures. I have dropped my 265/65 R18 tyres to 0,8 bar for sand dunes, beaches and other severe soft sand environments and with the power of the V8 I have never been stuck when all around me were getting bogged down in the sand irrespective of what they were driving. Just keep adequate momentum and judicious use of the massive power reserves (and I found use of the 6 gears in low range very helpful when especially severe conditions were present) - BUT THE OTHER KEY REQUIREMENT IS TO SWITCH DSC OFF WHEN THE SAND IS THICK AND SOFT AND USE THE SAND PROGRAMME - the sand programme ALONE does not allow sufficient slip in the wheels and you will get bogged down because it is braking the slipping wheels enough to stop your momentum. Some other advantages of the 18 inch tyres is that the higher sidewall provides a bit more height off-road, a softer ride because of more rubber cushioning, zero speedo error (exactly in tune with the GPS with my size tyres). I do not drive at speeds above the national speed limits and acknowledge that a lower profile tyre will perform better on tar - just drive taking that into account. The peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can rely on my tyres to see me through (I now am on BFG KO2 - and feel it is the best tyre I have ever used off-road - and I have tried many) is great. Of course the off-road performance is very satisfying and there has been grudging respect from other makes of car when they see how effortlessly the Disco gets through tough areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Franklin View Post
    Hi Edmundo - I had major problems with tyre failure (sidewall damage and stones between the tyre tread despite my best efforts at different tyre pressures eg higher pressures might help prevent side wall damage to some extent but then the hard tyres are prone to stone penetration). Most of my problems were in very rugged territory in north-western Namibia eg Kaokoveld. The added problem with low profile tyres is that they do not perform as well in soft sand where you need a longer footprint achieved with low tyre pressures. I have dropped my 265/65 R18 tyres to 0,8 bar for sand dunes, beaches and other severe soft sand environments and with the power of the V8 I have never been stuck when all around me were getting bogged down in the sand irrespective of what they were driving. Just keep adequate momentum and judicious use of the massive power reserves (and I found use of the 6 gears in low range very helpful when especially severe conditions were present) - BUT THE OTHER KEY REQUIREMENT IS TO SWITCH DSC OFF WHEN THE SAND IS THICK AND SOFT AND USE THE SAND PROGRAMME - the sand programme ALONE does not allow sufficient slip in the wheels and you will get bogged down because it is braking the slipping wheels enough to stop your momentum. Some other advantages of the 18 inch tyres is that the higher sidewall provides a bit more height off-road, a softer ride because of more rubber cushioning, zero speedo error (exactly in tune with the GPS with my size tyres). I do not drive at speeds above the national speed limits and acknowledge that a lower profile tyre will perform better on tar - just drive taking that into account. The peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can rely on my tyres to see me through (I now am on BFG KO2 - and feel it is the best tyre I have ever used off-road - and I have tried many) is great. Of course the off-road performance is very satisfying and there has been grudging respect from other makes of car when they see how effortlessly the Disco gets through tough areas.
    Thanks a lot for your caring reply. I am even more excited looking for a set of 18" to replace my 19".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2