Why do you drive a Land Rover?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Why do you drive a Land Rover?

In the year 1994, my dad still had a W126 Mercedes Benz 300 SE.

He had four of those cars in a row, so I guess he liked them.

However, I guess somewhere something changed and he had a yearning to get back to the veld.

So, one day we were in a game park, and a Rhino was walking deep in the grass. He wanted to see Rhino. And I can never forget how something in his head tripped, and all of a sudden he pushed that long slap car into the grass and scraped the floorpan over the ant holes.

Not long after that, he sold the Benz for a used Defender 200 Tdi.

I never liked the Defender much, but I loved it. The car had so much charm that one simply could not ignore the virtues it offered and it took us as family on the most memorable trips I had until this day.

The Defender was in our family for something like 13 years and was sold on 450 000km. The motor was reconditioned on 330 000km. We got great service out of the old van.

I was married young, and did not had much money.

Somehow in the year 2006 I managed to buy a Nissan Safari which was for us a nice and affordable way to get off the tar.

Not long after that, I got my second Safari with a diesel conversion. Sold the petrol.

However, the diesel was seriously under powered and we needed some more space which eventually pushed me to getting a trailer.

Problem was the Safari hardly had power for itself, let alone a trailer.

I could either put in a bigger motor - which apart from cost was a lot of work and headaches - or I had to buy another type of vehicle.

For some reason in spite of our Defender never letting us down, I was still brainwashed that Land Rover are unreliable.

Of a Discovery with all the tupper on it, I though nothing. Gave it a cold shoulder.

Yet, one day I walked past a dealer and there was a Discovery 1 300 Tdi. I knew it had enough power for the trailer I needed.

For some reason, still a bit sceptic I walked over and had a look at the vehicle and had to admit that this was one very practical car for a daily city runner and a serious off roader.

This is where something in my mind tripped and I started looking for a Discovery 1 Tdi.

As luck would have had it, I found a beautiful one not long after that and bought it immediately. That was the year 2009. And today 10 years later, I still have her.

The only problem was, I wanted to drive the Land Rover, but with my wife always having the first choice of cars, I lost the Disco shortly after that for the next 10 years.

With this Disco we crossed thousands of kilos of gravel roads in comfort, we took her over long stretches of pretty broken ground and camped in some of the the most remote places this country has to offer.

I made a few little mods on her. Dual battery, power points, slightly larger tyres, converted sunroof to electrical, installed cruise control etc.

In the year 2010, I pulled the motor and boxes, and simply replaced everything that showed sign of wear. End of last year, 9 years later, I did the same thing and also did a respray to make it look a bit better as by this time the body had plenty of deep thorn scratches and stone scrapes.

We got reliable service from her. Yes, I had a breakdown this December that stopped me in Graaff-Reinet when the vacuum pump popped, but even so I could get help the next morning.

So, when I had to upgrade to an Auto for my wife she also insisted on another Land Rover. And so I got the Td5.

A few weeks ago, we did a long tow with her, and it was such a pleasure.

But best of all is, I now again have my Disco 1 back for myself to drive to work. It certainly ain't that nippy in traffic, but still offers the same charm it did since day 1. A lovely, dependable car to drive and something I can use to aim at cocky taxis when the need arise and they DO back off.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why do you drive a Land Rover?

I'd love a neat D1 300TDi. Bloody scarce. D2 TD5 makes me nervous.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

But where is the pictures

I just can't come to terms with anything else in my driveway... it is past logical at this point. My Landy is part of who I am.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Darron For This Useful Post:

FWM

Why does a dog lick his balls?
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

When we got the Landy sorted I bought the platkar as a daily because its light on fuel and sensible only to find it boring as hell.

The past few days I was looking at 4x4 d/c bakkies but I cant find something worth putting money down for. They are either ugly soft plastic or boring.

Then I started looking at my life long dream car. A Defender. So some decisions were made and I decided I WILL wait and save until I can get myself a Dedender Puma.

Screw this buying with your head thing. My next car I am buying with my heart.

The Disco was my first Landy and before that by backside would itch for a new car every few months. My FIL told me that I will carry on with this until I buy a Landy because that is just the perfect car for our lifestyle with all the right feels. He was right.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Ek weet nie. My rug is te styf so ek kon nog nooit probeer nie.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Because he can likes to
    Willie

I broke my ankle badly on a off road doing a Ralley Sprint, and gave up bike racing.

After six months I just missed trail riding out in the open, and bought an old dented Range Rover Classic to do trials, and that's where it started.

Original Rangie destroyed when someone skipped a stop Street and t-boned me.

Bought another Rangie, and then followed a D1 V8 (took us all over Africa up to Tanzania, the a D2 TD5, then a D1 V8 (still have it), then a D3 TDV6, then a D4Tdv6.

The D2 was my least favoroute, the D3 my least reliable, the current D4 and D1 is my favorites out of the lot.

I think it's something that attaches itself to your psyche when you're young.

My father was a Jaguar/Rover enthusiast so I got to know the ''feel'' of the brand early in my life. Sitting in a Rover P5 3 litre, amongst others, for hours on end doing play-play driving, pierced my psyche.

No other logical explanation for me....goodness, there certainly has been enough ups and down with the Rover Group over the years to sway me away...

But, seeing a Series 1, 2, 3 or Defender on a rough African track does
    it for me.

Even seeing that new Defender carrying the Webb Ellis cup moved me a bit...for no logical reason other than it wore a Land Rover emblem..go figure..!
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Landy90fan For This Useful Post:

FWM

My td5 DEFENDER is by my side for many years. It is now on 250000 km..it never let me down and i only replaced the oil cooler with n stainless, the idler bearing and injecktor loom to play it safe. It took us all over Africa to many countries without problems. I believe that any 4x4 can do it if looked after. I loved my Defender and it is on its way one of these days again. Every 10000 km it get serviced by myself.Name:  IMG_20160513_144937.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  342.5 KB

For me, it was the Freelander.

My dad owned a Defender. It towed our mobile kitchen caravan (3T) of it up some seriously steep hills. I never could figure out how it would handle that. I never even realised what low range was.

From then, I always like the Freelander. So ended up getting a 2011 FL2 and loved every single second of ownership. My only 'itch' was wanting low-range, more clearance, more space, more capability. Enter the D4 and yus, it's scratched the itch proper. I have the urge to get rid of it every now and then but let it come back from the car wash after a muddy day out and it's like falling in love all over again. This is me and the Mrs' thoughts.. normally at the very same time.

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    The Disco was my first Landy and before that by backside would itch for a new car every few months. My FIL told me that I will carry on with this until I buy a Landy because that is just the perfect car for our lifestyle with all the right feels. He was right.
    To this I can relate. Whole-heartedly.

Now, the D2 Td5, man, can't wait to get this piece of art to where I want it to be, not that the goal posts will ever stay still, but it's already getting there and I will keep it forever.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. (Ingwe)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

FWM

My Dad drove plat karre, and got a 2.8i 90 brand new in 98 alongside his 5 Series BM.
    Th BM was almost never used after that and the 90 was our go to "car", he had a 50 anniversary shortly after that.

I met Swambo in 99, and in 2000 we went to her Matric dance in that Same 2.8i 90..

We got married and a 2004 V8 D2 was our 1st landy and family car (killing me on fuel)..

Fast forward and 12 landies later, we still have 2 Defenders and the whole family LOVE's them right along side the Mog which has similar character..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

FWM

get rid of the taste of Epol?
    Percivamus

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I remember as a kid travelling in the 80ís in the Sahara desert in a convoy of a Range Rover and a Defender. Always dreamt of owning a Defender but it did not happen yet. I drive a Land Rover as it gives a feeling of adventure even in traffic jam! I had a D2, D3, D4, Range Rover classic and now a Freelander2.

Please Land Rover, do not lose this passion by only creating uptown SUVs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sed View Post
    I remember as a kid travelling in the 80ís in the Sahara desert in a convoy of a Range Rover and a Defender. Always dreamt of owning a Defender but it did not happen yet. I drive a Land Rover as it gives a feeling of adventure even in traffic jam! I had a D2, D3, D4, Range Rover classic and now a Freelander2.

Please Land Rover, do not lose this passion by only creating uptown SUVs!
    This!!
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    This!!

+1

want ons het nie genoeg pak gekry toe ons kinders was nie .

No, on a more serious note:

My grand father owned a series 1, back in the 60's i would guess

He lived in KZN and was responsible for forestry and development and planted most of the regions forests etc, but was also a farmer on his own small scale farm in town

I came about in 1978, so a good 18 years later and he still had the series one, but also a series 2.

I spent my young life in those landies, and then later when we moved to Gauteng, spent every holiday in them when we would visit my grandfather , which was around 4 times a year.

We would go drive in the forests, go camp or picnic on the mtunzini beach, go up to st lucia, or mpelane , pull boats out the lagoon et etc

This ingrained the feeling of adventure the brand brought about deep into my blood.

Yes, i was young and stupid when i started my work career, and had several cars to impress people i didnt like, (bmw's) but i returned to the brand in 2010 and havent looked back since

Had 3 at one stage, discovery, range rover and series 3, now only the range rover and the series 3.

Looking to sell the range rover and get a defender again very soon

Nothing beats a real land rover Defender
    Defender RAW Nara Bronze
    Series III 88

VW Caravelle (wife)

KX450F #78
    KX 65 # 10

handmadeprojects.co.za

27. The Following User Says Thank You to willemviljoen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by willemviljoen View Post
    Looking to sell the range rover and get a defender again very soon

Nothing beats a real land rover Defender
    that's what we all say
    Percivamus

I hate these kind of threads!

They always make me miss my Defender
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast