Why do you drive a Land Rover? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Why do you drive a Land Rover?

As a young boy I watched the Camel Trophy with my dad and since then I was infected.

Currently have my dream... D1 300tdi Camel Trophy tribute vehicle.

I do not shy away from technology though and see a new Defender in my future.

But I will never sell my Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenSteyn View Post
    As a young boy I watched the Camel Trophy with my dad and since then I was infected.

Currently have my dream... D1 300tdi Camel Trophy tribute vehicle.

I do not shy away from technology though and see a new Defender in my future.

But I will never sell my Camel.
    Show please!

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Show please!
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...10#post4244210
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Default Why do you drive a Land Rover?

Swambo and I were looking for something to drive around Africa in. We found a VW Westfalia with a Cortina V6 in the back. Lady wanted R50k for it. But it got sold before we could even look at it. Then our pride and joy presented itself to us, and we havenít looked back. Maybe itís like puppies in a litter. You donít choose one. You take home the one that chooses you, even if itís the runt.

With all itís quirks, spots and blemishes we love our Defender 90. The 3 of us are a team. We will need to be beyond destitute before we ever consider selling our Landy, but we wonít actually sell it. Weíll just sleep in it, even if we donít have money for diesel.

Come to think of it, asking why someone drives a Landrover is maybe a bit like asking why they got married
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/11/09 at 10:00 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

How can you even try to explain love! This D2 Td5 is trying to bankrupt me, but it is my third Land Rover and I loved them!
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2002 Disco GS TD5
    1965 Beetle in sections

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I hate these kind of threads!

They always make me miss my Defender
    My husband drives a Defender (when I haven't got the keys first) and I drive a D4 - we love them. But I have looked at the Nissan Patrol a few times and thought if ever LR left the planet I would consider the Patrol - you have a great vehicle, enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    In the year 1994, my dad still had a W126 Mercedes Benz 300 SE.

He had four of those cars in a row, so I guess he liked them.

However, I guess somewhere something changed and he had a yearning to get back to the veld.

So, one day we were in a game park, and a Rhino was walking deep in the grass. He wanted to see Rhino. And I can never forget how something in his head tripped, and all of a sudden he pushed that long slap car into the grass and scraped the floorpan over the ant holes.

Not long after that, he sold the Benz for a used Defender 200 Tdi.

I never liked the Defender much, but I loved it. The car had so much charm that one simply could not ignore the virtues it offered and it took us as family on the most memorable trips I had until this day.

The Defender was in our family for something like 13 years and was sold on 450 000km. The motor was reconditioned on 330 000km. We got great service out of the old van.

I was married young, and did not had much money.

Somehow in the year 2006 I managed to buy a Nissan Safari which was for us a nice and affordable way to get off the tar.

Not long after that, I got my second Safari with a diesel conversion. Sold the petrol.

However, the diesel was seriously under powered and we needed some more space which eventually pushed me to getting a trailer.

Problem was the Safari hardly had power for itself, let alone a trailer.

I could either put in a bigger motor - which apart from cost was a lot of work and headaches - or I had to buy another type of vehicle.

For some reason in spite of our Defender never letting us down, I was still brainwashed that Land Rover are unreliable.

Of a Discovery with all the tupper on it, I though nothing. Gave it a cold shoulder.

Yet, one day I walked past a dealer and there was a Discovery 1 300 Tdi. I knew it had enough power for the trailer I needed.

For some reason, still a bit sceptic I walked over and had a look at the vehicle and had to admit that this was one very practical car for a daily city runner and a serious off roader.

This is where something in my mind tripped and I started looking for a Discovery 1 Tdi.

As luck would have had it, I found a beautiful one not long after that and bought it immediately. That was the year 2009. And today 10 years later, I still have her.

The only problem was, I wanted to drive the Land Rover, but with my wife always having the first choice of cars, I lost the Disco shortly after that for the next 10 years.

With this Disco we crossed thousands of kilos of gravel roads in comfort, we took her over long stretches of pretty broken ground and camped in some of the the most remote places this country has to offer.

I made a few little mods on her. Dual battery, power points, slightly larger tyres, converted sunroof to electrical, installed cruise control etc.

In the year 2010, I pulled the motor and boxes, and simply replaced everything that showed sign of wear. End of last year, 9 years later, I did the same thing and also did a respray to make it look a bit better as by this time the body had plenty of deep thorn scratches and stone scrapes.

We got reliable service from her. Yes, I had a breakdown this December that stopped me in Graaff-Reinet when the vacuum pump popped, but even so I could get help the next morning.

So, when I had to upgrade to an Auto for my wife she also insisted on another Land Rover. And so I got the Td5.

A few weeks ago, we did a long tow with her, and it was such a pleasure.

But best of all is, I now again have my Disco 1 back for myself to drive to work. It certainly ain't that nippy in traffic, but still offers the same charm it did since day 1. A lovely, dependable car to drive and something I can use to aim at cocky taxis when the need arise and they DO back off.
    Great post - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    If like me, youíve had the good fortune to have grown up in an environment where the great outdoors is just part of your DNA, then Land Rovers was always going to be part of what makes you feel complete.

I have vivid memories working on a Defender as a young lad in the 70ís. As ďthe get anywhereĒ vehicle for our fishing trips in KZN there was always something to be done on it once all the tackle was put away. Salt had to be washed off religiously.

Many find memories rushes back where I played spanner boy for Oom John climbing all over that Defender. The smell of Camil ever present. Hell what fun it was. We were one of the boys. Especially with the advent of the Camil trophy. Oom John was a hero in our eyes. Many discussions of how he would have ďskopped gatĒ in the Trophy had he been given just half a chance.

Then you grow up. You ďget educatedĒ and join Toyota as a young engineering techie. Kaizen and itís five pillars gets ingrained in you and every morning at asa-ichi you understand why Toyota is a automotive evolution. You dare not look back. There are reasons why you have got to move on. Hell you even drive a Jeep....because they, the Americans, have been schooled in Kaizen...and Six Sigma. Then comes Pajero, back to unbeatable improvement....thats why, you reason, they are the indisputable champs.

But there is always something missing. You know you have made some type of sacrifice. Reason has taken the place of passion. Your eyes always follow that Defender as it passes by. Thatís adventure, you think.

Then, one day, you listen to SWAMBO. You flip the reason switch. You buy a Disco 4. Despite all the red lights....despite all the ďis it all that badísĒ and you find Mr Fun again. You realize what youíve missed. So you get another one...you must have a Defender.... something special.... like a D90...2.8....i

Life is complete......spanner in hand......the next generation playing spanner boy.

Oh hell, if only I can be half like Oom John.

Love this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Enough said:
    The most photogenic car in the world .... beautiful!

And that girls and boys is how it is.

Because 99.9% of Landy problems can be googled.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

I dont currently own one.
    I cannot explain how the colour of my blood turned green a long time ago, but it did.

I do still browse the forum and other social media every day and most nights I put myself to sleep by doing a virtual build of a Landy. I will take a different model, whether it is a Disco or a Defender or a Series, station wagon, pick-up, LWB or SWB and I will start at the bottom, what suspension and tyres, under body protection, what exhaust, what engine mods, what lights, what paint and body style, what roof rack, what goes on the roof rack and where, what camping gear goes where, what interior accessories, what seats and somewhere along the line, I fall asleep like this. I do this every damn day.

We just saw on another site that my old Landy is up for sale again and Swambo asked how I was feeling, she knows that its a sore spot. haha.
    I told her that my D3 was like an abusive relationship. As much as I got hurt, I still loved that vehicle.

I will own a landy one day again. Life keeps happening while I make plans but I dont stop making plans.

Landies are special

So, in 1967, as a 7 year old, my sister and myself were told that we were moving to Africa (from Washington DC). South West Africa to be exact. My Mom bought some books for us to better understand what and where Africa is before we left and invariably, any book depicting Africa would have mainly (if not ONLY) Land Rovers in the veld pictures. They would be mainly bakkies with canvas 'canopies' and there would be animals. Born Free. That was it: BAM!!! For me, Land Rover = Africa and a love affair with both started there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by jonajay View Post
    So, in 1967, as a 7 year old, my sister and myself were told that we were moving to Africa (from Washington DC). South West Africa to be exact. My Mom bought some books for us to better understand what and where Africa is before we left and invariably, any book depicting Africa would have mainly (if not ONLY) Land Rovers in the veld pictures. They would be mainly bakkies with canvas 'canopies' and there would be animals. Born Free. That was it: BAM!!! For me, Land Rover = Africa and a love affair with both started there and then.
    Hallo Jona!!! And it also meant that I could meet you and share Land Rover stories over a fire with a cold one in hand.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

She ALWAYS puts a smile on my face!

Yes, she's occasionally temperamental,and always thirsty,and old enough to vote,but i don't care. She tows our Jurgens Penta in style,is comfortable and has always brought us home safely.

THAT'S why i drive a Land Rover!

Like Chopped, I don't currently own one.
    I can't exactly remember if there was anything prior to this point that triggered the interest but back when I was young, my brother used to buy a lot of Auto-trader magazines looking for his first car, this must've been late 90's. For some reason, I always kept going to the back section of the magazines, the section trucks, boats and the lot and thats where they where along with other SUV's. Thinking back, these must've probably been Tdi300's, 2.8i's and Early TD5's. This is where my earliest form of memory went of my interest in them.
    Somewhere with the moving of time I think Lara Croft also added some extra interest there.
    Coming from a family that didn't do any outdoor living or over-landing or anything remotely close to that, I grew up and in a way kind of forgot about them.
    I then made a friend several years ago who drives a 110 Tdi300 while I was driving a mini roadster at the time, the interest awoke.
    I happened to have an accident that wrote off the roadster, instead of getting a defender like I really wanted to, I went for a mini countryman. Did a roadtrip to Graaff-Reinet once with my friend with his defender and my countryman while using the least amount of the N1 and other national routes as possible. Thats when I fell more in love with the defender and less with the Countryman despite his fuel pump dying out and other countless issues he had had with the car before the trip and after (its a 95 model if I remember correctly).
    A year later after getting the mini countryman, I had the itch already, got a 2011 110 2.4 puma that I loved and enjoyed so much.

Despite the lack of modern bells and whistles, it gave me reasons to plan trips to far away places, really enjoyed it. Just that, my pocket was really not ready for it. After changing the starter twice, the turbo boost pipe twice, an MF sensor death, and the big one, a turbo blow out, I decided to part ways with it for something considerably fine for my pocket, my current GV.
    Despite the "drama", I have sworn to return and still plan on doing so.

I've driven a number of cars for my age apparently but no other has moved my soul like the defender had.
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    2011 Landrover Defender 110 Puma SW (sold)

We own two D4s. Best cars Iíve ever owned. Ride quality, off-road capability, on-road capability, tow capability, seven seats, and, unlike some other brands, it has a soul. From time to time, that soul can be a bit agitating... but all in all... it fits us very well.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    We own two D4s. Best cars Iíve ever owned......but all in all... it fits us very well.
    Thatís the essence isnít it? Exactly my sentiments.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4