License disc position

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default License disc position

Is there specific guide lines / regulations as to where the license disc must be displayed on a trailer?
    Caravans and motor vehicles are (usually) displayed in the front window, left hand side.
    Obviously it has to be visible for easy inspection. Can it be mounted on the body, or does it have to be on the chassis?

Default Re: License disc position

The Road Traffic Act is available online.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I couldn't find much info in the Road traffic act itself. It merely mentions that vehicles must be registered / licensed. More detail in the regulations...

So after a bit of searching on the web, the following came up on Arrive Alive website, in red pertaining to trailers:

Display of licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc
    Reg 36. (1) The owner of a motor vehicle shall display a licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, issued in respect of such motor vehicleó
    (a) if the motor vehicle is fitted with a transparent windscreen, by affixing it on the lower left hand corner in such a manner that the print on the face of the licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, is clearly legible from the outside to a person standing in front or to the left front of such vehicle;
    (b) if the motor vehicle is not fitted with a transparent windscreen, by affixing it in a conspicuous position on the left front side of such motor vehicle in such a manner that the print on the face of such a licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, is clearly legible from that side; or
    (c) if such licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, is required to be displayed on a motor vehicle in a position where it is exposed to the weather, be protected by affixing such licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, on the inside of the transparent front of a durable watertight holder.

And the same info is in this thread from 2014.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...it-be-attached

So in short, fixed to a visible position on the left hand side of the trailer.

Daar is hy, Google is jou tjommie.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Daar is hy, Google is jou tjommie.
    Daar was nou die dag genoem dat sekere lede sarkasitiese en negatiewe kommentaar lewer op als. JY maak jouself konstant skuldig daaraan. Jaco is nie jou kind nie man, lewer asb positiewe bydrae. As jy nie kan help nie, of jy nie wil help nie moet dan nie reply nie. Om vir iemand te se hy moet Google is nie help nie.
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2019/11/05 at 04:41 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

Om te se iets is aanlyn beskikbaar is heel behulpsaam.

Daar is nie pertinent gese 'Google' nie.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

The Road Traffic Act is available online.
    So we don't need this forum at all then? Why not rather help the person out by pointing to the relevant section of the RTA? It's a rather big document and someone that doesn't know the contents will take a while to find what he was looking for. As evidenced by the replies, it was difficult to find the information. If you can't help, why not remain silent rather than attempting to humiliate the OP?

This is the exact reason that I, as a person with a lot of experience in several fields, refuse to answer many questions. There is always someone unqualified who will know better but will be able to talk a good job.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

My goodness, but we are a bunch of grumpy old men, aren't we? Some old toppies, are technologically challenged and need to be reminded that some information is available on line.
    Then there is another bunch of old toppies that complain when they are referred to google because they do not wish to speak to some faceless entity.
    Hou tog net julle rokke styf kerels!
    Google is fantastic, and faster than any of you old toppies can type with and answer!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

When I come to a roadblock - the official is normally on my right side to ask for say driverís license. To inspect the registration number he has to move to the front (and back to see if numbers are the same) and then again to the left to check the license disk. On the trailer I positioned it on the right side, high up in one of those holders used on the big truck trailers. The normal position on the towbar of the trailer exposes it to damage from stones and water spray. I try to make life easier for him/her - and sofar havenít received a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    So we don't need this forum at all then? Why not rather help the person out by pointing to the relevant section of the RTA? It's a rather big document and someone that doesn't know the contents will take a while to find what he was looking for. As evidenced by the replies, it was difficult to find the information. If you can't help, why not remain silent rather than attempting to humiliate the OP?

This is the exact reason that I, as a person with a lot of experience in several fields, refuse to answer many questions. There is always someone unqualified who will know better but will be able to talk a good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Daar was nou die dag genoem dat sekere lede sarkasitiese en negatiewe kommentaar lewer op als. JY maak jouself konstant skuldig daaraan. Jaco is nie jou kind nie man, lewer asb positiewe bydrae. As jy nie kan help nie, of jy nie wil help nie moet dan nie reply nie. Om vir iemand te se hy moet Google is nie help nie.
    julle opmerkings is dierbaar en ek is baie lief vir julle ook
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    My goodness, but we are a bunch of grumpy old men, aren't we? Some old toppies, are technologically challenged and need to be reminded that some information is available on line.
    Then there is another bunch of old toppies that complain when they are referred to google because they do not wish to speak to some faceless entity.
    Hou tog net julle rokke styf kerels!
    Google is fantastic, and faster than any of you old toppies can type with and answer!
    ja jinne I was busy with work, I pointed out the info is available and then later congratulated the oke for helping himself

We don't all have time to go do this for other people. And I don't see the two moaners contributing anyway.

It's also USEFUL to maybe go through the RTA once in a while to remind ourselves of the law.
    Percivamus

ja jinne I was busy with work, I pointed out the info is available and then later congratulated the oke for helping himself

We don't all have time to go do this for other people. And I don't see the two moaners contributing anyway.

It's also USEFUL to maybe go through the RTA once in a while to remind ourselves of the law.
    As I stated, the reason I don't contribute much is because there is always someone with a snide remark like this or who knows far better but is less qualified. I was prepared to look it up for the OP but was beaten to it. Some of us are prepared to help instead of posting snide remarks. Do you think crayoning all over the forum like you do is a contribution?
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    As I stated, the reason I don't contribute much is because there is always someone with a snide remark like this or who knows far better but is less qualified. I was prepared to look it up for the OP but was beaten to it. Some of us are prepared to help instead of posting snide remarks. Do you think crayoning all over the forum like you do is a contribution?
    show where I crayon: the pub is the pub, otherwise I do indeed try provide some value

You've been on the forum a year, maybe consider that you don't know me at all. But I'll leave it there.

If you REALLY don't like my posts.......there is an IGNORE option then you won't be able to see any of my posts. Please do that.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco vdW View Post
    (a) if the motor vehicle is fitted with a transparent windscreen, by affixing it on the lower left hand corner in such a manner that the print on the face of the licence disc or licence and roadworthy certificate disc, whichever the case may be, is clearly legible from the outside to a person standing in front or to the left front of such vehicle;
    BOT

Interesting that they do state where it should go.

I distinctly remember from the days where there still was a 3rd party disc, we affixed it at the centre top of the windscreen either side the mirror to least interfere with the driver's vision.

The LH makes sense for the safety of the inspector, as if it was on the right, he/she would have to stick their buttocks into the traffic when bending down to read it.

Lower corner as well, as windscreens used to have a tinted band along the top which would reduce the light on the disc. Also, some traffic officers are quite short, and 4x4s/SUVs quite tall.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/11/11 at 07:10 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

In the road caravan disc in inside left side window. On off road trailer and 2 luggage/garden rubbish trailers I moved disc holders facing back on left side (mudguard and back "wall"). After moving no disc losses.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

On my 4x4 trailer, I have mine in the diesel/water/gas bottle section. It can be turned 120deg, turned into the open area for easy reading, but tucked away from gravel and stones. In the 33 years of towing I have been stopped many, many times by police in zim, bots, moz, nam, Lesotho, etc. All southern Africa countries and many border crossings. Never had a problem.

On my "bike" flat bed trailer I keep it in the locked nosecone. I have been stopped many times in the Transkei and RSA never had a problem. I never leave the open flat bed trailer in the public, so I am always there to unlock it.

My other "hobie" flat trailer (no nosecone) I use a colour photo copy. Never had a problem.

And agree for a vehicle I have always kept the disk on the right side, makes more sense. I have been moaned at a few times recently and told to move it to the left, as per the law.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/11/12 at 09:46 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    On my 4x4 trailer, I have mine in the diesel/water/gas bottle section. It can be turned 120deg, turned into the open area for easy reading, but tucked away from gravel and stones. In the 33 years of towing I have been stopped many, many times by police in zim, bots, moz, nam, Lesotho, etc. All southern Africa countries and many border crossings. Never had a problem.

On my "bike" flat bed trailer I keep it in the locked nosecone. I have been stopped many times in the Transkei and RSA never had a problem. I never leave the open flat bed trailer in the public, so I am always there to unlock it.

My other "hobie" flat trailer (no nosecone) I use a colour photo copy. Never had a problem.

And agree for a vehicle I have always kept the disk on the right side, makes more sense. I have been moaned at a few times recently and told to move it to the left, as per the law.
    Agree, I have never displayed a disc on any of my trailers for over 20 years, never had a problem.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Having worked in neighbouring countries where licence disks get re-purposed to vehicles on loan from their previous owners for many years I made use of a good colour photocopy (on the left hand bottom side).
    Stopped doing that about 3 months ago when I nearly got arrested at a traffic roadblock for "fraudulently displaying a falsified licence disk" and had to talk myself out of cuffs to walk away with a R500 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fiewiele View Post
    Having worked in neighbouring countries where licence disks get re-purposed to vehicles on loan from their previous owners for many years I made use of a good colour photocopy (on the left hand bottom side).
    Stopped doing that about 3 months ago when I nearly got arrested at a traffic roadblock for "fraudulently displaying a falsified licence disk" and had to talk myself out of cuffs to walk away with a R500 fine.
    How on earth did they pick that up? Unless they removed the disk to check the watermark. However, a watermark can be preprinted onto the paper. Most offices here in Cape Town use HP laser jet printers to print it out in the first place so a high res scan can be printed on the same printer? With their new Page Wide inkjets, it is even a better facsimilie.
    Last edited by ZuluCowboy; 2019/11/14 at 09:37 PM.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.