Discovery 1 300 Tdi Rings and bearings replacement job? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: 300 Tdi Rings and bearings replacement job?

I quote myself from another thread. After rebuilding engines for 30 years there is no shortcut do it right the first time.

Very interesting about the Vim and the John Deere stuff. All I can say is that when I did Diesel as part of my Millwright training many moons ago the showed us a training video. In the video the chuck a spoon of dust in the intake. Run the engine for 24 hours. Strip and measure components. Most were worn out of spec.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    You have two options do a skimpy job or a complete engine rebuild. I come a long way with rebuilding engines. Take it out. Measure, rebore, replace all parts out of spec. If you do change pistons balance rotating assy. Yes it is expensive but the only way to have a reliable engine. Remember changing rings and bearings is not a rebuild.
    There is noway that you are going to do a proper hone with the engine in the vehicle. Honing tools will come in contact with the crank if it is left in position. Only a honing tool will give a correct and effective hone pattern

My Dad were a sern believer that recon engines does not last as long as a new one. This is one of the few things I have ever proof him wrong.
    You rebuild and engine, back yard mechanics do recons
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I quote myself from another thread. After rebuilding engines for 30 years there is no shortcut do it right the first time.

Very interesting about the Vim and the John Deere stuff. All I can say is that when I did Diesel as part of my Millwright training many moons ago the showed us a training video. In the video the chuck a spoon of dust in the intake. Run the engine for 24 hours. Strip and measure components. Most were worn out of spec.
    Fully agree with you Grips about your comments on a proper rebuild - well said!

If you guys want to know what a real sh#t job is all about, let Anthony tell you about "the rebuild" of his erstwhile 2-Door 300Tdi, which he bought some years ago. That was one of the worst hack jobs that I have ever seen. A text book example on how not to do it.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Fully agree with you Grips about your comments on a proper rebuild - well said!

If you guys want to know what a real sh#t job is all about, let Anthony tell you about "the rebuild" of his erstwhile 2-Door 300Tdi, which he bought some years ago. That was one of the worst hack jobs that I have ever seen. A text book example on how not to do it.

And let it be known, it was done by a very reputable Indy who contracted the re-build out to a well known engine re-builder...…...all was done on good references received, the re-build horror started when the vehicle was still owned by me...…………..
    Last edited by Thys Willemse; 2019/11/12 at 12:11 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox bash plate, Mitsubishi Nudge Bar, Bosal Tow Bar, Retractable Eezy-Awn

Thys the problem is the re. Re-builder. You do not rebuild an engine. You build them to OEM factory specs.

The moment I hear rebuild my stomach give a twitch. Rebuilders seldom care about OEM specs they chase quick money.

Long story short. Many moons ago someone in need of money came to me with a rebuild Windsor 302 v8 engine. Block/sub assembly rebuild by one of the well know engine re-manufactures in the country. Very nicely wrapped in plastic with two brand new heads. His asking price were a bargain.

Bought the engine and put it on a shelve in my store. Few years down the line I were looking at a possible use for the engine.
    Strip it as I were only interested in using the block. When I removed the main caps I noticed all bearings standard with one journal machined to the next size.
    Start measuring the whole engine. One of the 8 bores were machined to the correct piston bore clearance. With none of them even close to the same size as per OEM spec and allowed tolerances.

Send the block to a friend of mine who knows how critical I am about specs. He bored it out max. I fitted new pistons conrods and a new crank. The last time I have checked it were on its way to 150k km still as good as new.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/11/12 at 01:04 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Thys the problem is the re. Re-builder. You do not rebuild an engine. You build them to OEM factory specs.

The moment I hear rebuild my stomach give a twitch. Rebuilders seldom care about OEM specs they chase quick money.

Long story short. Many moons ago someone in need of money came to me with a rebuild Windsor 302 v8 engine. Block/sub assembly rebuild by one of the well know engine re-manufactures in the country. Very nicely wrapped in plastic with two brand new heads. His asking price were a bargain.

Bought the engine and put it on a shelve in my store. Few years down the line I were looking at a possible use for the engine.
    Strip it as I were only interested in using the block. When I removed the main caps I noticed all bearings standard with one journal machined to the next size.
    Start measuring the whole engine. One of the 8 bores were machined to the correct piston bore clearance. With none of them even close to the same size as per OEM spec and allowed tolerances.

Send the block to a friend of mine who knows how critical I am about specs. He bored it out max. I fitted new pistons conrods and a new crank. The last time I have checked it were on its way to 150k km still as good as new.
    Hi grips

when I overhaul an engine and OEM Sleeve/piston assemblies are available, then that is the way to go. There are very few companies in SA, who can properly bore and hone to the exact tolerances required for diesel engines. Got a few t-shirts from my early days (more than 40 years ago) when I was still "gathering experience".
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3