Discovery 2: 1999 Disco 2 Head blown

Default 1999 Disco 2 Head blown

Hi Everybody

my brother has a 1999 Disco 2 td5. The car overheated with the previous owner and he said he replaced the head. He did a patch job and nothing else. Now the head is blown. It will cost R32000 to fix. Head is too thin to skim.
    My question and advice would be appreciated please.
    1. Should he fix the car or sell it for spares?
    2. Should he fix it and sell it? He will never make his money back.
    3. Should he fix it and keep it?

Does anybody maybe have secondhand parts availible?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all

Default Re: 1999 Disco 2 Head blown

First of all: A vehicle is an expense. Nothing more nothing less.

It will either cost you money on depreciation, interest or maintenance.

People for some reason are extremely stingy on maintenance expenses, but will happily loose multiple times that on depreciation and interest.

With all respect, I cannot follow the stupidity of the above. Why would someone find losing money on depreciation more palatable than spending it on maintenance?

The only drawback is that one needs a little discipline to put away money for maintenance.

If this vehicle overheated before, then there might me quite a bit more damage than just a cylinder head.

If he does need to spend R 32 000 on a cylinder head, then he needs to be sure that there are not many other expensive parts also to be fixed, otherwise another or a rebuilt motor is a better option.

Stripping for spares is a good option if he has the cash to buy something else in the mean time, and is prepared to recover his money over some time. It often gets a reasonable return.

Spending money on it, is a good option if the vehicle is otherwise in above average condition and he can actually use the vehicle for what it was made for.

If he just wants to get to work and back, then he should think about another type of vehicle.

I bought a very clean 2004 D2 TD5 Auto a few months ago. I paid R 75 000, and have to date spend almost another R 30 000 on it.

I cannot expect go get R 105 000 for it easily if I need to sell right now. However, a brand new Fortuner cannot offer me the luxury, comfort, or off road capabilities of this vehicle.

For me then, it is worth it over and over.

It is not an easy decision. If he really needs a capable 4x4 vehicle, then yes. If he does not really need it, then he needs to get something cheaper to maintain.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Is it a daily driver?

When the cost of maintenance/repair exceeds the cost of replacement, then replace.

However, as Biltong pointed out, the R32k is well below the current cost of replacing like with like.

As an example, P38 in 2001 = R400k new, L322 in 2004 = R600k new, current Range Rover = @ R1.5mil upwards

It would be way cheaper to keep a P38 or L322 running than buying the current model

I would say repair. The R32k sounds excessive to me and he needs to shop around
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Repair!! One just dont go and dump a Landy.

Shop around a bit you can get a whole 2nd hand engine for around 26k.

Then maybe strip the other engine and sell the usable parts
    Last edited by FWM; 2019/11/02 at 06:04 AM.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Thank you all for the advice. I forwarded it to him.
    so if he gets a secondhand head what about the rest of the engin? It sounds like there might be other issues with it.
    he is leaning towards another complete engin. Where would you recommend we look for that? I trust you guys more than the guys here.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    However, a brand new Fortuner cannot offer me the luxury, comfort, or off road capabilities of this vehicle.
    Easy tiger... we have Japs that read these threads and are waiting to pounce on the popcorn-statement...
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Easy tiger... we have Japs that read these threads and are waiting to pounce on the popcorn-statement...
    Put your money where your mouth is and swop your D4 for a Fortuner.

If you ever wondered why there are cross dressers....
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

"...it is abundantly clear that you are an arrogant C-nut." - Estee. (I was overwhelmed. It was the nicest thing someone has said to me in a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Put your money where your mouth is and swop your D4 for a Fortuner.
    Clearly you've lost your mind... never.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)