Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stedi lightbar

Default Stedi lightbar

Hi all,
    I am looking to put a lightbar on my lux. Everybody offers them but how can one tell if they perform as they all advertise that they are flood + spot combinations etc. Looking at the stedi website they give a nice comparison between the lights, but are they better than the rest available? They're significantly more than others. Are they worth it?
    Educated opinions would be welcome.
    Cheers

Default Re: Stedi lightbar

Off to fetch the popcorn..........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by BGF View Post
    Hi all,
    I am looking to put a lightbar on my lux. Everybody offers them but how can one tell if they perform as they all advertise that they are flood + spot combinations etc. Looking at the stedi website they give a nice comparison between the lights, but are they better than the rest available? They're significantly more than others. Are they worth it?
    Educated opinions would be welcome.
    Cheers
    I would suggest educating yourself on the law first
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

I started a thread where I posted a picture of my lightbar with a cover on.

That sparked a furious debate and Jelo ate lots of popcorn during that, I'm sure!

I wanted more light for long-distance gravel driving at night.

What I found with the lightbar was that it lit up the 20 metres or so in front of the car like daylight, beyond that, not so much.

In other words, not fit for purpose, and also illegal.

You need something that projects a pencil beam as far ahead as possible, so that you can safely maintain the correct speed over corrugations etc.

From my expereince of having been on both sides of the argument, so to speak, my advice would be to forget about the lightbar and look at the 70w night raider spots - they are superb.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lxv For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    I started a thread where I posted a picture of my lightbar with a cover on.

That sparked a furious debate and Jelo ate lots of popcorn during that, I'm sure!

I wanted more light for long-distance gravel driving at night.

What I found with the lightbar was that it lit up the 20 metres or so in front of the car like daylight, beyond that, not so much.

In other words, not fit for purpose, and also illegal.

You need something that projects a pencil beam as far ahead as possible, so that you can safely maintain the correct speed over corrugations etc.

From my expereince of having been on both sides of the argument, so to speak, my advice would be to forget about the lightbar and look at the 70w night raider spots - they are superb.
    Job done, thank you. Lets save Jelo from putting on to much weight, and lock this thread. Besides, we already got about ten of them now.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Job done, thank you. Lets save Jelo from putting on to much weight, and lock this thread. Besides, we already got about ten of them now.

Agreed!

The legal alternatives work much better anyway

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lxv For This Useful Post:

It's not just the placement of the light bar, you'd be shocked at how few "normal" spot lights are actually E-marked and thus also not "legal"

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    It's not just the placement of the light bar, you'd be shocked at how few "normal" spot lights are actually E-marked and thus also not "legal"

True that.
    Also, the spots have to be on a separate switch to be legal, can't just come on with the high beams.

ag come on guys, I love popcorn
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Another thing to keep in mind is the differential between all your bright spots on and dipped beams, if it's too great it can leave you a bit night blind with approaching traffic.

Red face Re: Stedi lightbar

Get the best quality unit you can.

Got mine from Ironman in Alberton. They are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is the differential between all your bright spots on and dipped beams, if it's too great it can leave you a bit night blind with approaching traffic.
    That is a good point.
    Most of the time, off-road, you catch a flash of and approaching car a long time in advance.
    What I do at that point is switch off the spots, leaving the high beams on and slow down.
    By the time you are about to see each other's headlights and go to dipped beams, your pupils have adjusted sufficiently.
    This works for me and I concentrate really hard on spotting oncoming traffic because I'm terrified of coming around a corner and catching some unsuspecting driver on a pitch-dark road with 12,600 lumens.
    I sure wouldn't like that to happen to me!

My wife is visiting Hamburg and i took the opportunity to buy a pair of these.
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-24 10-18-50.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	545248

220mm diameter lens and a light throw of 500m
    Good old halogen bulb, warm light thats soft on the eyes.

Cost me R1700 for the pair... R100 more than a pair Hella commet 500ff in SA
    Last edited by iLandy; 2019/10/24 at 10:42 AM.
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion

It's always more fun on the road less travelled

I removed the light bar and fitted these; 7 Hella SUPERNOVA 7” LED SPOTLIGHT1VF-621029-001 VF6209
    LED POWER
    16*3W
    78mm
    LUMENS
    4320lm
    187mm
    CURRENT
    [email protected]
    177.8mm
    CURRENT
    [email protected]
    2450lx
    Part Number: Short Code:
    WEIGHT
    1.81kg
    495m
    DAYTIME
    RUNNING LIGHT
    990mClick image for larger version. 

Name:	09FBF7E1-3E00-4E90-984C-86EFC2930767.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	545279

Quote Originally Posted by Wise one View Post
    I removed the light bar and fitted these; 7 Hella SUPERNOVA 7” LED SPOTLIGHT1VF-621029-001 VF6209
    LED POWER
    16*3W
    78mm
    LUMENS
    4320lm
    187mm
    CURRENT
    [email protected]
    177.8mm
    CURRENT
    [email protected]
    2450lx
    WEIGHT
    1.81kg
    495m
    DAYTIME
    RUNNING LIGHT

Thank you all for the valuable input. I looked at the above spots this weekend and they come in two versions. Purchase as singles or as a pair with a wiring loom. The loom does not connect into high beam, only has its own switch. They have a running light so have 3 wires not 2 and I am not sure how to wire this up using main beam. Perhaps simply isolate the wire for the running light and ignore.
    Perhaps a trip to an auto elece to wire the relays or simply the switch into high beam using the loom as it is a very nice neat piece of work. The is an added complication that I would like to use a toyota switch but this is inly two way so no running lights not that I want them. I'll call hella today to see if the running lights remain on with the spot. If so then I would imagine the single switch could work.

Thank you all for the valuable input. I looked at the above spots this weekend and they come in two versions. Purchase as singles or as a pair with a wiring loom. The loom does not connect into high beam, only has its own switch. They have a running light so have 3 wires not 2 and I am not sure how to wire this up using main beam. Perhaps simply isolate the wire for the running light and ignore.
    Perhaps a trip to an auto elece to wire the relays or simply the switch into high beam using the loom as it is a very nice neat piece of work. The is an added complication that I would like to use a toyota switch but this is inly two way so no running lights not that I want them. I'll call hella today to see if the running lights remain on with the spot. If so then I would imagine the single switch could work.
    It is best to give it to an auto elecrtrician. As I understand it, the harness for the spots incorporates a fuse and a relay, this relay is connected to the high beam circuit.
    The idea is for the lights to work normally when the master switch in the cabin is off, and spots come on with the high beams when the master switch is on.
    Easy for an auto-electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    It is best to give it to an auto elecrtrician. As I understand it, the harness for the spots incorporates a fuse and a relay, this relay is connected to the high beam circuit.
    The idea is for the lights to work normally when the master switch in the cabin is off, and spots come on with the high beams when the master switch is on.
    Easy for an auto-electrician...
    That is my understanding too. However the hella harness has a positive (with fuse) and negative for battery. Two plugs for the lights. Two plugs for the relays. Switch positions are: off, driving lights on, spots on, three wires. Nowhere to wire into main beam. Now I need to find auto electrician who can understand my poor explanation without having buy first. Also who will not use quick connect splices to cut into the wire.

Ek het ook eers n Led bar op gehad en toe vervang met die Hella Supernova 9" en dir skyn baie beter en verder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise one View Post
    LED POWER
    16*3W
    78mm
    LUMENS
    4320lm
    187mm
    CURRENT
    [email protected]
    177.8mm
    CURRENT
    [email protected]
    2450lx
    WEIGHT
    1.81kg
    495m
    DAYTIME
    RUNNING LIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    Ek het ook eers n Led bar op gehad en toe vervang met die Hella Supernova 9" en dir skyn baie beter en verder
    Hi Leon
    Did you wire into main beams or just keep them completely separate?

Hi Leon
    Did you wire into main beams or just keep them completely separate?
    It is illegal to wire any secondary head light on a separate circuit. High powered LED lights should come on with the HIGH beam ONLY or not at all.
    Last edited by jelo; 2019/11/06 at 07:15 AM. Reason: edited to correct MAIN to HIGH
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast