Fitting a low profile warn winch behind the front bumper on a 2004 Prado 120

Default Fitting a low profile warn winch behind the front bumper on a 2004 Prado 120

Hi
    any suggestions as to where I could get this done in Jhb, I know Mr Winch in Durban can do it but thats a bit of a trek down there for a couple of days, any recommendations for an installer in the Jhb area?

Default Re: Fitting a low profile warn winch behind the front bumper on a 2004 Prado 120

Pop into Sunseekers and ask there. They quoted me on my Pajero for a winch plate and install behind the bumper.

It worked out just as inexpensive for me to put on a steel bumper with a built in winch plate.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: Fitting a low profile warn winch behind the front bumper on a 2004 Prado 120

Quote Originally Posted by dodger29 View Post
    Hi
    any suggestions as to where I could get this done in Jhb, I know Mr Winch in Durban can do it but thats a bit of a trek down there for a couple of days, any recommendations for an installer in the Jhb area?
    Speak to Gavin Pike at Pedders in Paulshof.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

I got the winch plate fitted in Dbn by mr winch, but did the install myself. The winch plate is pretty straight forward if you are handy with a ginger and welder.

Make sure you try and get as little in front of the rad as possible. I did a lot of vehicle testing with Toyota, and after seed nets, winches are the next most popular item to cause overheating.

I have seen a lot of installs where the guys shove the control box on top of the winch blocking the rad even further and then slop all the cables in front as well.

On my amarok I have the winch low down, but even that kills a lot of airflow to the rad. I managed to stick my control box behind the drivers side fog light. Not ideal if you plan on regular river crossing, but perfect for me as I try to avoid water like the plague and just need the winch to pull my boat on the trailer on the beach.

Don't believe anyone that tells you that it does not affect the cooling system. It does, so at least minimise the impact by running cables neatly and disrupting airflow to the rad as little as possible.

Also give serious consideration to the remote winch controller. I bought all the stuff from Comeup. They have an agent up here in pretoria and can supply you with cables, cable wrapping/protection and all the other bits needed for the install.

Make damm sure you do not shove anything else in front of the rad like spotlights, as you will disrupt things enough with the winch. Basically say not to spot lights!

had it fitted by Caravan & Boating in Nigel, where I get all my boating stuff done, they have made a great job of this, very happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	547399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch 1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	547400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	547401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch 5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	547402