Camping advice Mudumo NP and Nkasa Rupara NP(Mamili)

Default Camping advice Mudumo NP and Nkasa Rupara NP(Mamili)

We plan to spend 6 nights split between the 2 parks and don't want to move more than 2 times. The more private/remote the better. We are fully equipped so no need for ablutions/running water/power. Do not want to camp near people/villages (to hear them at night, to see them popping up in the camp site during the day and/or possible security issues). Birding will be first priority and we will visit during Sept or Oct. Only 2 people in 1 vehicle.

Currently the plan looks like this:

Mudumo NP: Nakatwa Campsite. Is it still on a "first-come-first-serve" basis or can we now book (if yes, where?). Which campsite no?

Nkasa Rupara NP: Rupara Camp site or Livingstone - which one will you recommend given the above parameters? Which camp site number?
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

Default Re: Camping advice Mudumo NP and Nkasa Rupara NP(Mamili)

Willem Madumo is die paradys. Ek sal heeltyd daar bly, no 3 is die beste maar no 1 is ook goed. Nooit gepla deur ander mense nie buiten olifante , bobejane en seekoeie.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

We've been at Mudumu again this August, nothing has changed. It is still on first come basis. As said, campsite #3 is the most secluded of the three, but also the other two offer the feeling of total wilderness. We have stayed in #1, which is closest to the rangers post, but we newer felt their presence. In two days, we were the only tourists in the park.

Haven't been in Livingstone campsite, but have been at Rupara two years ago. All campsites are spread along a water channel and I don't remember that any one of them would stick out as being much better/worse than others. That was also in August and again, we were the only tourists there.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2019/10/30 at 04:11 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Livingstone's has everything you don't need in terms of facilities, fantastic camp. The sites are large and far apart so that you're not aware of other campers. Given your requirements I would still stay there as both Parks are easily accessible from there without having to move campsites.
    Last edited by Oreo; 2019/10/30 at 05:14 PM.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Thumbs up Re: Camping advice Mudumo NP and Nkasa Rupara NP(Mamili)

Thank you All for your comments. Seems that we must go and see which place suits us and stay there for the whole period.
    Willem Grobler
    LC 105 GX

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willem Grobler For This Useful Post:

Mudumu and Livingstone camp are covered correctly in above posts.
    For Rupara Nkasa (Mamili) , I have NOT found any operational camp sites nor was the entrance gate manned when last visited in Sep 2018.
    Not sure if it is just (open for all) day visits, but there was absolutely nobody around, not even is staff quarters.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Mudumu and Livingstone camp are covered correctly in above posts.
    For Rupara Nkasa (Mamili) , I have NOT found any operational camp sites nor was the entrance gate manned when last visited in Sep 2018.
    Not sure if it is just (open for all) day visits, but there was absolutely nobody around, not even is staff quarters.
    We've been at the Rupara campsite begin oktober. it is perfect, nice large campsites, private en in a lovly environment. It was only a bit dry when we were there, but the small river along the campsite was carrying water !

We've had the exact same ecperience in Rupara campsite in August 2017 as wschulhte. Maybe it should be emphasized that this camp is outside Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) NP. I don't think there is any campsite inside the park. As for the entrance gate to the park, we've found it fully manned and the staff was very helpful with advices where to drive and where not to go once inside the park.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2019/11/03 at 09:26 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by wschulte View Post
    We've been at the Rupara campsite begin oktober. it is perfect, nice large campsites, private en in a lovly environment. It was only a bit dry when we were there, but the small river along the campsite was carrying water !
    Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    We've had the exact same ecperience in Rupara campsite in August 2017 as wschulhte. Maybe it should be emphasized that this camp is outside Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) NP. I don't think there is any campsite inside the park. As for the entrance gate to the park, we've found it fully manned and the staff was very helpful with advices where to drive and where not to go once inside the park.

Not sure what happend that day when we tried the park. There wasn't a soul to ask, never even found a camp site despite spending a whole day inside the park, got stuck a few times in dry sand and never even saw another vehicle even from far.

We seen the private camp between the gate and the Livingstone camp where we finally booked in.

So maybe just gotten a wrong day
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

We just spent a few days at Mudumu Nakatwa #2 in June. It was fantastic. Absolutely no facilities whatsoever. #1 is OK. #3 is the best but the road to get there (it's about 3kms further) is extremely sandy but if you have 4WD you will have no worries. We were pleasantly surprised at how much game we saw for a relatively "new" (every living thing had been wiped out about 10yrs ago I think) park. It really is a gem. Try and email Beauty at reservations (am sure her email is on one of the Mudumu threads) and ask her if #3 is available for your dates - she is very sweet and helpful. Take a couple of cokes and sweets for her kids - they will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbaleee View Post
    ..... Take a couple of cokes and sweets for her kids - they will love it.
    Frowned upon by the conservation society. Tooth decay amongst juveniles in an area without dentists is a real problem.
    '89 LR 110 V8