Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    166

    Default Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Ok, so on 90K km I got MotoMark to change my Amarok cambelt and waterpump. I already hear all the ummmís, at the time it was the only option available.

    When I got the Amarok back, on my usual home inspection I found the rediator fan plug was not plugged back in... I plugged it back and have done 100km since...

    Now I doubt the complete job, my concerns;

    Could they have skipped 1/2 a tooth and mess up the timing?
    The top tensioner roller visible removing the clip-on cover had black sticky grime on the roller surface, does the kit not include this tensioner to be replaced?

    Im doing a solo remote Africa trip in March, can I take it to someone clever to check the belt tension, condition and overall job?

    Can the tension be checked without too much effort and re-tensioned if necessary?

    If you forget a fan plug, who says you checked all the bolts are fastened...?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,845

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    I regularly find idler/tension pulleys with dry/tired bearings. Make sure they were changed.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,400

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    Ok, so on 90K km I got MotoMark to change my Amarok cambelt and waterpump. I already hear all the ummmís, at the time it was the only option available.

    When I got the Amarok back, on my usual home inspection I found the rediator fan plug was not plugged back in... I plugged it back and have done 100km since...

    Now I doubt the complete job, my concerns;

    Could they have skipped 1/2 a tooth and mess up the timing?
    The top tensioner roller visible removing the clip-on cover had black sticky grime on the roller surface, does the kit not include this tensioner to be replaced?

    Im doing a solo remote Africa trip in March, can I take it to someone clever to check the belt tension, condition and overall job?

    Can the tension be checked without too much effort and re-tensioned if necessary?

    If you forget a fan plug, who says you checked all the bolts are fastened...?

    Lots of questions.

    Why did you specifically take it to this place? There are many people on here that could have referred you to proper workshops that know what they are doing.

    With that out of the way, did the w/shop bought the timing "kit"? Do you know whether in fact it was a kit, or just the belt? What make parts were used? Did you get any old parts back?

    If I were in your position I'd get a second opinion. Pay someone to have a look at what was replaced. If that belt goes, you are going to need a lot of $$$ to fix it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,806

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    you cannot be half a tooth out. If you are 1 tooth out they won't start or will immediately put on an engine light. Very often the brand new rollers will pick up rubber from the new belts and after a while will get cleaned off again so that is not an indication the roller was not changed. You can check the tension by removing the top clip on cover. There is basically a dial and pointer on the tensioner pulley that has to sit inside each other and points that the correct tension was applied. Sadly without doing and actual spanner check on each bolt you won't know anything about the rest of your worry.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    you cannot be half a tooth out. If you are 1 tooth out they won't start or will immediately put on an engine light. Very often the brand new rollers will pick up rubber from the new belts and after a while will get cleaned off again so that is not an indication the roller was not changed. You can check the tension by removing the top clip on cover. There is basically a dial and pointer on the tensioner pulley that has to sit inside each other and points that the correct tension was applied. Sadly without doing and actual spanner check on each bolt you won't know anything about the rest of your worry.
    Thanks, at least now I can worry a bit less :-)

    Before I leave on my trip I will get the Amarok checked by someone trustworthy, any suggestions for a Pretoria contact to do this?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,108

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Take it to Stephan. Benoni is not that far away for your peace of mind.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    Take it to Stephan. Benoni is not that far away for your peace of mind.
    Thanks, I sent him a PM

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    44
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    Thanks, at least now I can worry a bit less :-)

    Before I leave on my trip I will get the Amarok checked by someone trustworthy, any suggestions for a Pretoria contact to do this?
    Hatfield VW... only hear good things about them
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    *Update*

    I took the Amarok to Stephan, he confirmed that all looks fine with the cam-belt replacement did by MotoMark. Thanks Stephan.

    Please learn from my mistake, take it to him in the 1st place, skilled guys like him are very rare!
    Last edited by HKing; 2019/11/15 at 02:20 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Okahandja
    Age
    54
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    Moral of the storie is: ask the forum and do as the forum says.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,108

    Default Re: Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 132KW Cambelt worries

    The tribe has spoken...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •