Zim to Nam / Faces of the Namib advice

Question Zim to Nam / Faces of the Namib advice

Hello, this is my first post here and i am hoping to find someone that has done the faces of the namib tour.

I live in Zimbabwe and have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee wj with the 4 liter engine, my girlfriend and i have been to Namibia before and it was great bashing around the dunes in quad bikes and having a guide take us through sandwich harbor in his Nissan patrol. Some time next year we want to visit again and we are going to make a road trip out of it by driving from zim to the coast . I have a few questions.

If you have experience with Zimbabwe to Namibia : Which route is better , up towards vic falls and across the caprivi area, or straight across botswana ?

Which towns are good to stay in for a night across these routes ?

If you have experience with dunes: Do you think my jeep will be able to do a faces of the namib tour ? and if so is it better to ground camp vs rooftop tent camping ? , highway terrains vs all terrains vs mud terrains ? Any essential modifications?

The jeep is in good condition, it has been my weekend project for a couple of months now. It's major flaw is its open diffs , but unfortunately being in zim makes the price of locking diffs even higher. Its gotten me through mud and rocks and many potholes and corrugations but it is yet to meet the sand.
    I know it kind of sounds like i don't know anything , but hey until I've done it i don't , so hopefully one of you have .

Thanks guys for any and all advice you can provide ,
    Cheers

Default Re: Zim to Nam / Faces of the Namib advice

Time of year and how much time you have available will be a big factor in determine the best route to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Hello, this is my first post here and i am hoping to find someone that has done the faces of the namib tour.

I live in Zimbabwe and have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee wj with the 4 liter engine, my girlfriend and i have been to Namibia before and it was great bashing around the dunes in quad bikes and having a guide take us through sandwich harbor in his Nissan patrol. Some time next year we want to visit again and we are going to make a road trip out of it by driving from zim to the coast . I have a few questions.

If you have experience with Zimbabwe to Namibia : Which route is better , up towards vic falls and across the caprivi area, or straight across botswana ?

Which towns are good to stay in for a night across these routes ?

If you have experience with dunes: Do you think my jeep will be able to do a faces of the namib tour ? and if so is it better to ground camp vs rooftop tent camping ? , highway terrains vs all terrains vs mud terrains ? Any essential modifications?

The jeep is in good condition, it has been my weekend project for a couple of months now. It's major flaw is its open diffs , but unfortunately being in zim makes the price of locking diffs even higher. Its gotten me through mud and rocks and many potholes and corrugations but it is yet to meet the sand.
    I know it kind of sounds like i don't know anything , but hey until I've done it i don't , so hopefully one of you have .

Thanks guys for any and all advice you can provide ,
    Cheers
    Welcome!

I would go Vic Falls, Livingstone, Katima Mulilo etc.

The sand should not be a problem, just deflate the tyres , plenty advise on here , if you do a search.

I have a Limited Slip diff and never have problems in sand, just deflate .

Sorry I don't know a single thing about Jeeps.

Cheers

Canít comment on the route but in 2016 we did the Faces of the Namib in a 2007 Range Rover TDv8. We had all terrain tyres and used a ground tent. There was a mix of road, all terrains and muds and there didnít seem to be a marked difference between any of them - the guides used muddies. Namibian roads are hard on std road tyres - 2 of the vehicles on road tyres shredded tyres prior to the trip. There was only 1 roof top tent in our group everyone else used various types of ground tents. Your Jeep should have no problem in the dunes - 4l petrol engines are made for dunes! We averaged 3.9km/l on the trip and you need fuel for 550kms - I would work on 3km/l for your Jeep - this is what the 4l Prados used.
    Faces supply you with a list of items required. We had an absolute blast on this trip - canít recommend it highly enough. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mike morrison View Post
    Canít comment on the route but in 2016 we did the Faces of the Namib in a 2007 Range Rover TDv8. We had all terrain tyres and used a ground tent. There was a mix of road, all terrains and muds and there didnít seem to be a marked difference between any of them - the guides used muddies. Namibian roads are hard on std road tyres - 2 of the vehicles on road tyres shredded tyres prior to the trip. There was only 1 roof top tent in our group everyone else used various types of ground tents. Your Jeep should have no problem in the dunes - 4l petrol engines are made for dunes! We averaged 3.9km/l on the trip and you need fuel for 550kms - I would work on 3km/l for your Jeep - this is what the 4l Prados used.
    Faces supply you with a list of items required. We had an absolute blast on this trip - canít recommend it highly enough. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the reply, it certainly does sound like a blast!

The Faces of the Namib start at Solitaire which is more on the south west side , so go across Botswana and enter Namibia at Buitepos , then go west to Windhoek and futher west to Solitaire . Tour end in Walvisbay and from there you can go back via Katima .
    Plenty Lodges/Camping from Buitepos to Solitaire ,download iOverlander for details .
    Last edited by Swart Jan; 2019/10/27 at 03:37 PM.
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4