Drivers license. Stupid question

Default Drivers license. Stupid question

Hi guys.

I have not been able to find an answer. If you are in a different province from where your residence is, can you renew your driver's licence?

I desperately need to do mine but I will only be back in Gauteng for one week day in two weeks time. Very worried that it's not enough time.

For the foreseeable future I will be spending 26 days of every month in Springbok, so it makes sense that I can collect it here too.

If I don't do it, I will be permanently back at home and it won't matter.

Thanks.

Default Re: Drivers license. Stupid question

No, but you may nominate a proxy.
    Have your eye tests done at an optometrist and the results certified and in hardcopy.
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2019/10/23 at 09:03 PM.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    No, but you may nominate a proxy.
    Have your eye tests done at an optometrist and the results certified and in hardcopy.
    I am sorry. Being very slow tonight. Nominate a proxy how? They need to take finger prints.

Your car licence disc is bound to a province or a municipal area, but your driver's licence is national and can be renewed anywhere in SA.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    I am sorry. Being very slow tonight. Nominate a proxy how? They need to take finger prints.
    Oh, damn, forgot about that part.
    I retract my comment.

Perhaps follow this procedure?
    Point 2.

Attachment 545195
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2019/10/23 at 09:17 PM.
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

From here: https://www.gov.za/services/driving-...riving-licence

Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.

Can't you organise a proof of address from where you stay in Springbok and do your renewal there, Ask your employer to provide an affidavit that you are a contract worker on semi permanent deployment in Springbok, it may help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    Oh, damn, forgot about that part.
    I retract my comment.

Perhaps follow this procedure?
    Point 2.

Attachment 545195
    No, I'm babbling.
    This freaking givermint does you to be there in person.

https://louisnel.co.za/blog/need-ren...nce-2017-2018/

My son and his wife live in Joburg but renewed their licences here in White River Mpumalanga with no hassles.

Geoffth

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Your car licence disc is bound to a province or a municipal area, but your driver's licence is national and can be renewed anywhere in SA.
    Here is the reason why some people can and will take their drivers licence test in very strange places...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quick update.
    Small towns are awesome. It took me a matter of 45 minutes this morning. That included driving to two places for photos and copies, stopping for petrol, finding the license department in a strange town and processing the application.
    Done and legal. Smiling.

In Springbok remember to drive to the top of the hill
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    Quick update.
    Small towns are awesome. It took me a matter of 45 minutes this morning. That included driving to two places for photos and copies, stopping for petrol, finding the license department in a strange town and processing the application.
    Done and legal. Smiling.
    The Calvinia Traffic Department comes to Fraserburg for one day each month for driver's licence renewals as there is no traffic department never mind a traffic officer in Fraserburg at all. Never more than 10 in the que. And they bring the new licence with them the next month and issue it to you.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    The Calvinia Traffic Department comes to Fraserburg for one day each month for driver's licence renewals as there is no traffic department never mind a traffic officer in Fraserburg at all. Never more than 10 in the que. And they bring the new licence with them the next month and issue it to you.
    That's awesome. I love that.