Stedi lightbar - Page 3





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: Stedi lightbar

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Carletonville
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,573

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    The RL draws very little, and you can take it from your park lights or low beam. No relay required, or go buy another one, they are R30.
    The Auxiliary lights get a cable from the high beam, to your switch on the dash, and back to the relay that drives your Aux lights.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by BGF View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I understand the wiring diagram thank you, but this for a simple spot. There are 3 wires for the spots as they have their own running lights. Where would the rl wire go to on the relay and how do I get the feed from the vehicle dipped beam for this? I would then be taking 2 feeds into the relay and using a three position switch. (There are only 3 poles on the switch)
    It's for this reason that I don't use pre-made-up harnesses that given as a generic way of connecting something up. Normally they will be based on one specific brand or type of vehicle and cause lots of headaches with everything else.
    I have rather run my own wiring loom that I make up for a specific application on a given vehicle. This way I can use a gauge and type of wire that has a better rating than the minimum required. I can also add the fuses and relays bases into the loom in a convenient place for that vehicle and run the completed loom in a protective cover like Correx tubing.
    I'm not being condescending when I say that you should get it done by a good auto electrician. I'd hate you to land up with an electrical fire on your vehicle because you saved a few bucks on wiring in an additional system. I have replaced sections of wiring looms on my own vehicles that I have bought second hand due to damage caused by "after-market" fitment centers.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,685

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm not being condescending when I say that you should get it done by a good auto electrician. I'd hate you to land up with an electrical fire on your vehicle because you saved a few bucks on wiring in an additional system. I have replaced sections of wiring looms on my own vehicles that I have bought second hand due to damage caused by "after-market" fitment centers.
    good advice

    plenty of vehicle fires caused by DIY wiring...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm not being condescending when I say that you should get it done by a good auto electrician. I'd hate you to land up with an electrical fire on your vehicle because you saved a few bucks on wiring in an additional system. I have replaced sections of wiring looms on my own vehicles that I have bought second hand due to damage caused by "after-market" fitment centers.
    Hi Paul
    I am with you on the good auto electrician, but I too have had too many so called professionals hack into systems using quick splice connectors. It is the reason I did my own dual battery system. There are ample fuses and the wire gauges are overkill with everything encased and protected wherever it goes through a tight area.
    I will not start something I am not able to undertake and have every intention of going to an autoelectrician, but I do want to be able to talk options with them.
    Hence the questions.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by BGF View Post
    Hi Paul
    I am with you on the good auto electrician, but I too have had too many so called professionals hack into systems using quick splice connectors. It is the reason I did my own dual battery system. There are ample fuses and the wire gauges are overkill with everything encased and protected wherever it goes through a tight area.
    I will not start something I am not able to undertake and have every intention of going to an autoelectrician, but I do want to be able to talk options with them.
    Hence the questions.
    The more knowledge you can gather the better like with everything in life. I work in the aviation industry so my idea of an acceptable installation and the average automotive accessory installer are worlds apart. Firstly you will have to work out if your vehicle uses positive or negative switching for the headlights. Most modern vehicles use negative switching where there is always power to the one connector on the headlight bulb. The switch selection to "on" gives a path for the earth completing the circuit. The relay in the circuitry for auxiliary / spot lights becomes the on-off switch for the high current from the battery to the light. It is best to switch the positive power line in this part of the circuit. The switching of the relay is controlled via the original vehicle wiring through the bright switch and then a secondary switch for the spotlights. This will then allow you to switch on the bright - high beam lights without the spotlights coming on and only allow the spots to be activated when high beam is selected. On the wiring loom that you have the additional wire at the switch could be for an indicator light within the switch.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    194

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    If the lights are marked as “off-road only” it is unlikely that they have SABS/E certification, and are therefore illegal to fit to a vehicle operated on a public road.

    Johan 😎
    I don't know about other brands but the ones I have (70w night raiders from Extreme Lights) have the E1 certification embossed on the lenses.

    To the best of my knowledge, this E certification makes them legal for fitment on the vehicle.

    As for the marking "off-road only" on the box - it means precicely that - don't use on the road.

    This is the reason for the legal requirement of a master switch in the cabin (so that they don't come on with the high-beams unless you are off-road and want them to come on with the high-beams).

    Light bars are illegal to fit, supplimentary "spot" lights are not, if they have the E certification.

    btw, has anyone ever seen a light bar with the E certification?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    On the wiring loom that you have the additional wire at the switch could be for an indicator light within the switch.
    I tried to edit my previous post but it wouldn't save. I misread or misunderstood you wanting info for wiring in the driving light portion of the lights.
    The driving light portion of the light can be wired in exactly the same way as the main spot portion. The only difference would be is that you power the switching relay from your vehicles driving light circuit. On this circuit I would power both lights from a single relay but use a separate relay for each of the main spotlights wiring.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    9
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise one View Post
    I removed the light bar and fitted these; 7 Hella SUPERNOVA 7” LED SPOTLIGHT1VF-621029-001 VF6209

    Attachment 545279

    How much did you pay for these, if you don't mind me asking?

    thanks
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic



    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

    Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,194

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by BGF View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I understand the wiring diagram thank you, but this for a simple spot. There are 3 wires for the spots as they have their own running lights. Where would the rl wire go to on the relay and how do I get the feed from the vehicle dipped beam for this? I would then be taking 2 feeds into the relay and using a three position switch. (There are only 3 poles on the switch)
    See picture:
    pin 87A is normally closed, thus no power on pin 86 implies pin 30 and 87A is connected, with power on pin 86 then pin 30 and 87 is connected.
    DRL is suppose to be on during day when your normal lights are switched off.
    Bottom relay will give power to DRL when light switch is off due to normally closed pin 87A connected to pin 30, when light switch is on then pin30 connection to pin 87A is broken and DRL is off.
    Top relay works other way round, pin 87 is normally open, but when you apply power to pin 86 from a high beam tap then the 'spot' part of the light will work.
    Above assumes the light uses simple +12V connections to the DRL and spot part, some lights do the above internally and then the wiring is different, you will have to check the documentation of the lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Neil

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    194

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Ah yes, Jelo and I both omitted the switch between the high beam and the relay.

    According the letter of the law, NO SPOT is legal, besides those fitted to emergency type vehicles that are adjustable from inside. Any Auxiliary light's beam must be dispersed and controlled by means of either the lens, or the reflector, so as to have a controlled pattern forward onto the road. Herein lies one of your key stuffups with LED lights.

    Thanks LXV for that post. Just about all of us grew up with the term "spots" and "spot lights", and this terminology is in fact incorrect, and illegal on a civilian road going vehicle.

    Henceforth we will refer to them as Auxiliary lights on this forum... NOT SPOTS, or as the Aussies say SPOTTIES.... Do we have a deal?

    bfreesani, yes we have a deal in that auxilarry lights are a more accurate term than spots, which refer to the lights legal only on emergency vehicles.

    I disagree with the second and third sentences of the first paragagraph that you posted above though.

    The auxillary lighting, if it carries the E certification (halogen or LED) carries no legal requirement with regards to beam dispersal by lens or reflector.

    The legal requirement is only that it does not come on at all times with the high beams, meaning that it is controlled by a separate switch in the cab, for when you are off tarred roads (only).

    Scroll up through this thread, there is a post taken from Arrive Alive's website relating to this specific issue, I trust that they did the due dilligence re the Road Traffic Act before publishing.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Carletonville
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,573

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    bfreesani, yes we have a deal in that auxilarry lights are a more accurate term than spots, which refer to the lights legal only on emergency vehicles.

    I disagree with the second and third sentences of the first paragagraph that you posted above though.

    The auxillary lighting, if it carries the E certification (halogen or LED) carries no legal requirement with regards to beam dispersal by lens or reflector.

    The legal requirement is only that it does not come on at all times with the high beams, meaning that it is controlled by a separate switch in the cab, for when you are off tarred roads (only).

    Scroll up through this thread, there is a post taken from Arrive Alive's website relating to this specific issue, I trust that they did the due dilligence re the Road Traffic Act before publishing.

    Maybe my wording was slightly wrong here (seems I am doing it often lately). But let me explain. A true spot light has a clear lens, and "clean" reflector so as to concentrate the light in a perfect "spot" pattern, such as would be used by emergency type vehicles. These types of lights will not earn the E certification for road use. So, I apologize, it is rather a case of the spot not able to earn the certification, rather than a case that the certification specifies and dispersing lens or reflector.

    This then supports my statement that LED lights that are not "controlled" by lens or reflector, also do not get awarded the E certification.

    As to auxiliary lights not being allowed to be used on road, I have not seen that in Aarto. The law simply states no more than 6 forward facing lights in total. No mention as to how many of those may, or may not, be used in a high beam situation. I don't know when Arrive Alive became the "law". We are back to common courtesy, as to how you want to handle oncoming traffic with regards the number of legal lights you want to have on at any one time that are connected to your brights.

    As far as the E rating goes that specifies the legality of the lights we can, or can not use. Go read the document pertaining to the testing standard that is applied to the testing of all lights. It even extends to the globes used in these "enclosures" we call "spots". Respectable lighting companies will actually specify these non E rated (illegal) lights and globes "for off road use only". They just don't belong on a roadworthy vehicle.

    The law enforces the legal placement and use of lights, which they assume, are within, and according to an international legal specification. I have not read that document again, or even seen an amendment since the advent of LED lights, so I have no idea how they have updated the standards to include these, and frankly, I don't care. My criteria is to be legal, and exercise common sense and courtesy to other road users. To treat others on the road, as I would want to be treated.

    I see we are totally OT of the OP again. I suggest a search on this forum, for the numerous threads that have covered this topic in great depth. Specifically, I think it was the third or fourth thread, where Apocalyps quoted, and explained, the relevant Aarto section.

    I believe the OP had been sorted......Unsubscribed!
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    194

    Default Re: Stedi lightbar

    Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Maybe my wording was slightly wrong here (seems I am doing it often lately). But let me explain. A true spot light has a clear lens, and "clean" reflector so as to concentrate the light in a perfect "spot" pattern, such as would be used by emergency type vehicles. These types of lights will not earn the E certification for road use. So, I apologize, it is rather a case of the spot not able to earn the certification, rather than a case that the certification specifies and dispersing lens or reflector.

    This then supports my statement that LED lights that are not "controlled" by lens or reflector, also do not get awarded the E certification.

    As to auxiliary lights not being allowed to be used on road, I have not seen that in Aarto. The law simply states no more than 6 forward facing lights in total. No mention as to how many of those may, or may not, be used in a high beam situation. I don't know when Arrive Alive became the "law". We are back to common courtesy, as to how you want to handle oncoming traffic with regards the number of legal lights you want to have on at any one time that are connected to your brights.

    As far as the E rating goes that specifies the legality of the lights we can, or can not use. Go read the document pertaining to the testing standard that is applied to the testing of all lights. It even extends to the globes used in these "enclosures" we call "spots". Respectable lighting companies will actually specify these non E rated (illegal) lights and globes "for off road use only". They just don't belong on a roadworthy vehicle.

    The law enforces the legal placement and use of lights, which they assume, are within, and according to an international legal specification. I have not read that document again, or even seen an amendment since the advent of LED lights, so I have no idea how they have updated the standards to include these, and frankly, I don't care. My criteria is to be legal, and exercise common sense and courtesy to other road users. To treat others on the road, as I would want to be treated.

    I see we are totally OT of the OP again. I suggest a search on this forum, for the numerous threads that have covered this topic in great depth. Specifically, I think it was the third or fourth thread, where Apocalyps quoted, and explained, the relevant Aarto section.

    I believe the OP had been sorted......Unsubscribed!


    Speaking of the OP, he never said whether he went with the Stedi light bar or whether this thread brought him to his senses!

    I see that you are currently browsing this thread so before you Unsuscribe:

    I'm not sure what you mean by a "clean" reflector to concentrate the beam in a perfect spot pattern but a beam pattern as low as 7 degrees is not uncommon in E certified auxillary LED's.

    I am not talking about light bars here.

    Perhaps night raider from Extreme Lights (E1, highest certification), Hella Supernova etc have the requisite lens or reflector to control them, I would assume so.

    These E certified lights have the common sense warning on the box "for off-road use only". This does not mean they don't belong on a roadworthy vehicle.

    The E ceritification relates to the legaty of fitment on a vehicle. If aux lights have the E cerification (LED or otherwise), they may be fitted but not used on the road - hence the warning on the box: "for off-road use only", and the requirement for a separate switch.

    The separate switch also addresses the issues which you raised of common courtesy, oncoming traffic and more importantly, safety of other road users.

    I share your criteria: to be legal (E certification), excercise common sense and courtesy to other road users, and to treat others on the road as I would want to be treated (separate swith on the aux lights - so they don't come on with the high beams on the tar or even get used on the tar).

    The relevant AARTO section is clear - the fitment of light bars is illegal and make the vehicle to which they are fitted unroadworthy and subject to impounding.

    I do hope the OP reads all of this and also that you and I are in agreement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •