Electricity problems on trailer

Default Electricity problems on trailer

Good morning everyone.

I have some problems on my electrical installation on my Echo trailer. The batteries. 2 x 105A Deep cycle batteries show fully charged on my Victron meter. When I switch the power off the batteries only run the National Luna fridge for about 2-3 hours and then my fridge switches off. National Luna have checked the fridge and there is nothing wrong with the fridge or the settings on it. My current people that installed everything canít find anything wrong. I need the contact details of a guy (auto electrician) who is very good with these kind of things to go through everything to find out what is the problem. Has anybody got somebody they can refer to me please?
    I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy!

Default Re: Electricity problems on trailer

Good morning to you too.

A battery can show fully charged but not necessarily be able to hold that charge under load. I would.

Disconnect the two

test them individually, a 100 w DC bulb will work well.

This will tell you if you have a dead cell in one of the batteries.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Hi
    Thanks for your answer. I really know nothing about this. I would rather want to go to someone that is a boffin, let him check everything, and know I'm not stuck without electricity at Kubu Island. Lol. Do you perhaps know about a very reputable firm in Pta?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Good morning to you too.

A battery can show fully charged but not necessarily be able to hold that charge under load. I would.

Disconnect the two

test them individually, a 100 w DC bulb will work well.

This will tell you if you have a dead cell in one of the batteries.
    I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy!

If you are happy to tow your rig there, any battery centre can do a load test for you. I suspect that you have one healthy battery and one that is failing. As they are joined, one battery is propping up the other.

National Luna fridges also have a cut off to protect the batteries and it sounds like yours is switching off the fridge at the set V.

What fridge is it and what temp do you run it at.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

If you are happy to tow your rig there, any battery centre can do a load test for you. I suspect that you have one healthy battery and one that is failing. As they are joined, one battery is propping up the other.

National Luna fridges also have a cut off to protect the batteries and it sounds like yours is switching off the fridge at the set V.

What fridge is it and what temp do you run it at.
    Hi. thank you. That is a bit out of my way. You are in Alberton right? The National Luna is set to cut out at 10.4V. so that canít be the problem. I run the fridge at -1 and the freezer at -3

Sorry crossed wires a little.

Any battery centre anywhere

https://www.batterycentre.co.za/branch-locator

can do a load test for you.

https://www.batterycentre.co.za/free-battery-check

Most batteries are made up of 6 2V cells giving you 12 V or thereabouts.

If one cell fails it will drain the rest of the cells in a short period of time bringing it below that 10.4V.

This is what could be a possible cause for those symptoms.

BMW R1200R

Sorry crossed wires a little.

Any battery centre anywhere

https://www.batterycentre.co.za/branch-locator

can do a load test for you.

https://www.batterycentre.co.za/free-battery-check

Most batteries are made up of 6 2V cells giving you 12 V or thereabouts.

If one cell fails it will drain the rest of the cells in a short period of time bringing it below that 10.4V.

This is what could be a possible cause for those symptoms.
    Thanks for the info.

I would also suggest geosergio auto electrical in Pretoria. They have done a number of installations for myself and friends and family over the years, on everything from overland rigs to race cars and everything in between. Proper old school auto electricians. They will be able to source your issues, assuming it is not a dead cell in the battery

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I would also suggest geosergio auto electrical in Pretoria. They have done a number of installations for myself and friends and family over the years, on everything from overland rigs to race cars and everything in between. Proper old school auto electricians. They will be able to source your issues, assuming it is not a dead cell in the battery
    Thanks, I will definitely give thm a call.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Talk to Babbo. Tell him Riaan sent you.

https://geosergioautoelectrical.co.za/