Awning firment

Thread: Awning firment

Default Awning firment

Good morning all,

I purchased an awning on Takelot(Brand: campworld I think it was), it was on special last week for the princely sum of R1800. It is a 2m wide unit so not massive. At the price I was not expecting much along the lines of quality but I am pleasantly surprised so far. The aluminum rail it is supported with is very sturdy with no apparent flex, its only 2m long though. I have not gone so far as to actually unroll it so I can't comment on the rest by now.

I placed it flat on top of my Thule roof bars to get a feel of how to fit it with the brackets and bolts supplied, these would be just fine. I don't want to trek it around wherever I go so it needs to be an easy on easy off fitment. I then went online to look at various solutions people have posted on youtube so that I could modify my clamps to make them less finnicky, tightening and loosening 4 bolts is not quick an d easy IMHO! I then noticed that all the awnings these guys were mounting had the Aluminium plate perpendicular to the ground and not flat on the roof bars. This necessitates the fabrication or purchase of L-brackets. This is not a problem but it did get me wondering why? Is there a particular reason that these awnings cannot be mounted flat?

I can't wait to get the awning up and working!

Default Re: Awning firment

If you mount it flat then the legs keeping the tension of the awning will be pointing skywards!
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

Default Re: Awning firment

That is true if they are not hinged (I'm assuming they are hinged or there would be a lot of strain on the base of that pole), I'll check if they have that range of movement. I have to open it any way so this will be on my see how it works list.