Defender 300 tdi VNT turbo

Default 300 tdi VNT turbo

Anyone running their 300 with a VNT or VGT turbo?

Default Re: 300 tdi VNT turbo

yes please i would like to know too----i have not started to up-tune the diesel pump, but my mind tells me this 300TDi needs better turbo

where can we get VNT turbo?

is there bigger intercooler that will run with this turbo?

sorry im new to the forum, so exu....me if this was topic in the past

cheers
    B

Try Mr Cotton.

Maybe Mr. Bosch can help.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    Anyone running their 300 with a VNT or VGT turbo?
    Hi Silverfox

check out my thread on the landyonline forum "my just about unstoppable Disco1"

https://www.google.com/search?q=my+j...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You will find all the info there.

If you run your vehicle mainly along the coast, then the hybrid turbo will be a more sensible (cheaper) solution. If however you frequently venture inland, Windhoek etc, then I would suggest the VNT to be the route to follow.

With a hybrid turbo, ceramically coated manifold, decatted and egr blanked (if late Disco1 Tdi) and suitably modified pump settings, you can expect turbo kick-in around 1600rpm down at the coast. With VNT around 1200rpm.

Good luck.

George
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2019/10/23 at 06:34 AM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Silverfox

check out my thread on the landyonline forum "my just about unstoppable Disco1"

https://www.google.com/search?q=my+j...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You will find all the info there.

If you run your vehicle mainly along the coast, then the hybrid turbo will be a more sensible (cheaper) solution. If however you frequently venture inland, Windhoek etc, then I would suggest the VNT to be the route to follow.

With a hybrid turbo, ceramically coated manifold, decatted and egr blanked (if late Disco1 Tdi) and suitably modified pump settings, you can expect turbo kick-in around 1600rpm down at the coast. With VNT around 1200rpm.

Good luck.

George
    Thanks George. I have read your thread and many others. You don't specify which turbo you used and also no mention of modifying your exhaust manifold or using a 200tdi manifold, which others are using. How do you control your boost? VNT turbos are normally ECU controlled. Also interesting is you saying not to exceed 1.05 bar boost.
    Fourby in UK run upto 1.5 bar to ensure low EGT's.

Fourby in UK run upto 1.5 bar to ensure low EGT's.
    not sure that can be correct: 1.5 bar is 22 psi, I think you mean 15psi
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    not sure that can be correct: 1.5 bar is 22 psi, I think you mean 15psi
    I do mean 1.5 bar. Neil Ensor of Fourby UK runs his Disco 1 300tdi at 1.7 barClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191024-113009_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	545263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191024-112824_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	545264

I run my 300TDi with the wastegate actuator disconnected. Stock turbo can push 1.2b at sea level but I only go there on special occasions
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    I run my 300TDi with the wastegate actuator disconnected. Stock turbo can push 1.2b at sea level but I only go there on special occasions
    I just blanked the hose off going to waste gate actuator and also get 1.2 bar at sea level. I want to go VNT route to get low down torque. Guys in UK use 200 tdi manifold with Garrett 2256 turbo amongst others. Will post a pic shortly.

I do mean 1.5 bar. Neil Ensor of Fourby UK runs his Disco 1 300tdi at 1.7 bar

I am impressed.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I installed a VNT from Mr Cotton. I only increased boost marginally, as well as the fuelling on the injector - only rotated the diaphragm marginally without any other setting changes. I set it so that my max egt temp never exceeded 700 degC on a hot day.

This was my conservative approach as I was not interested in more top end, but rather lower down torque. The result was probably about 10% more top end, which was great, but low down it was absolutely fantastic making off road pottering an absolute pleasure at low revs. Fuel consumption was about the same, maybe slightly improved. And this was with a standard intercooler - I should have installed a bigger one.

This is an awesome mod.

Hi disconnecting the waste gate is this normal practice or can this hurt some engine parts? normal driving and overtaking if think will be okay

if going extreme terrain on engine hard labour is this very bad----considering this --i have installed the EGT gauge running 3rd gear very hard uphill max 540 deg C

I just blanked the hose off going to waste gate actuator and also get 1.2 bar at sea level. I want to go VNT route to get low down torque. Guys in UK use 200 tdi manifold with Garrett 2256 turbo amongst others. Will post a pic shortly.
    There's a lot of low down torque to be had in smoke screw and spring seat adjustment. I did exactly the same, just unplugged and blocked the pipe.

TDibarry, your right ankle directly adjusts fuel and therefore boost in real time. So it's very easy to max out all the adjustments under the bonnet and then drive within the original design parameters if you have a little extra instrumentation.
    To get 1.2b, you need to use a very wide throttle opening, and be over 2200rpm, and a little time to build. Highway cruising will run around 0.5 to 0.7b irrespective of how you've tuned it
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

I fitted a manual boost controller and set my boost to 1.2b after doing the "hybrid" turbo mod. Easy installation (boost controller).

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    I fitted a manual boost controller and set my boost to 1.2b after doing the "hybrid" turbo mod. Easy installation (boost controller).
    Are you happy with the hybrid turbo? Did Stallion Turbo's do it? You would need to tweak your diesel injection pump to get the full benefits of the extra boost, but first install an EGT monitor to keep an eye on the exhaust temps. A bigger intercooler will also help.

Are you happy with the hybrid turbo? Did Stallion Turbo's do it? You would need to tweak your diesel injection pump to get the full benefits of the extra boost, but first install an EGT monitor to keep an eye on the exhaust temps. A bigger intercooler will also help.

Yes I did play around with the settings on the pump but mainly only the diaphragm for more diesel. Also made sure the pump lift is set correctly. Is set at 1.56mm. Had it at 1.6mm as suggested by some but can't feel a difference so it's back at 1.56mm. EGT's goes max to 700 deg even at 120km/h on long incline. I must say if you boot it the boost quickly gets to 1.2bar. Intercooler is standard. Had the 1st version Allisport intercooler (one that fits in the original space) at some stage but sprung a leak and material too thin too fix so now standard intercooler. Other than the above a 75mm straight through exhaust.

There's a lot of low down torque to be had in smoke screw and spring seat adjustment. I did exactly the same, just unplugged and blocked the pipe.

TDibarry, your right ankle directly adjusts fuel and therefore boost in real time. So it's very easy to max out all the adjustments under the bonnet and then drive within the original design parameters if you have a little extra instrumentation.
    To get 1.2b, you need to use a very wide throttle opening, and be over 2200rpm, and a little time to build. Highway cruising will run around 0.5 to 0.7b irrespective of how you've tuned it
    For now I am running the Fourby boost pin and still need to install their boost ring. Then I want to change to VNT turbo with 130% bigger Cirrus intercooler. EGT's are still within limits at the moment.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191025-140011_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	545382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191025-140036_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	545383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191024-132856_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	545384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191024-133007_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	545385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191024-132659_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	545386

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    Yes I did play around with the settings on the pump but mainly only the diaphragm for more diesel. Also made sure the pump lift is set correctly. Is set at 1.56mm. Had it at 1.6mm as suggested by some but can't feel a difference so it's back at 1.56mm. EGT's goes max to 700 deg even at 120km/h on long incline. I must say if you boot it the boost quickly gets to 1.2bar. Intercooler is standard. Had the 1st version Allisport intercooler (one that fits in the original space) at some stage but sprung a leak and material too thin too fix so now standard intercooler. Other than the above a 75mm straight through exhaust.
    Did you rotate the boost pin 90 degrees? 1.54mm is the exact setting for timing the injection pump. The lift pump is the pump on the block sucking diesel from tank.
    The exhaust also makes a big difference. My 130 was pushing quite a bit of black smoke when I bought it not too long ago until I changed the exhaust.

Did you rotate the boost pin 90 degrees? 1.54mm is the exact setting for timing the injection pump. The lift pump is the pump on the block sucking diesel from tank.
    The exhaust also makes a big difference. My 130 was pushing quite a bit of black smoke when I bought it not too long ago until I changed the exhaust.
    Hi All

even with the VNT turbo I ended up turning the diaphragm only about 45 Degs. There were a few other mods, but Boy was I happy with the result. I used to climb onto the highway in Durban and travel to Pretoria. If traffic allowed it and I could stay above 80km/h it was all in 5th gear.

On my trips to the mother city from PTA, my first refuelling stop was always in Beaufort Wes (1000km) , as I would have run out of fuel about 50km's short of Laingsburg. I never filled up in the smaller dorpies, got burnt with bad diesel a few times.

My venerable Disco1 300Tdi was sold back in 2015. Still regret selling it, despite the fact that the FFRR is like a magic carpet ride compared to the D1.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2019/10/26 at 11:50 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details